An enjoyable day fishing the waggler.

Silver fan 82

I went to a local club lake today with just a pint of maggots with the aim of fishing the feeder.
I started off on the maggot feeder and was getting bites straight away. A good start I thought.
But I was missing alot of bites, some were just little taps, some proper bites but I just couldn't connect apart from two micro size rudd and a tiny perch.
With that I thought a change to the float may improve things.
So after plumbing up and sorting the shotting pattern out I started connecting with the bites. First few casts produced more tiny rudd, only a few oz each. But soon enough I was into a better sized Perch IMG_20210222_085005.jpg Next few casts produced a few small roach then a slightly better one
IMG_20210222_102520.jpg Then all went quiet. The float slowly dipped and I was rewarded with a much better stripey
IMG_20210222_095629.jpg A few more casts, and then this nice Roach was in the net
IMG_20210222_134729.jpg Then the spring mechanism on the bail arm of my reel broke and I was wet and cold so decided to call it a day.
A very enjoyable session, quite a few fish caught too. Next session I may have a go for the Perch with some worms.
It's also reminded me how effective the waggler can be on its day.
Thanks for reading 👍

Silver fan 82

Sounds like a great days fishing 👍🏻

Wag and mag is the most fun Stillwater fishing for me. Plenty of bites, plenty of variety and you always pick up a few surprises 🙂
Most definitely mate. It's been a while since I had a decent session on the waggler. I often get a bit carried away with fishing the feeder.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Most definitely mate. It's been a while since I had a decent session on the waggler. I often get a bit carried away with fishing the feeder.
I can't remember the last time I fished anything other than a waggler on a Stillwater aside from one feeder session last year. Probably my last surface session which is a good 2.5 years ago now. Even use it quite a lot on rivers for slow flow when hemp fishing or maggot/caster fishing where there aren't bleak. Just a lovely simple yet effective method. People rave about the stick which is great fun as well but I like the waggler just as much.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
One thing I noticed last Friday fishing with MrMunch was he was on the waggler and picking up the bigger fish, whilst I was on the pole and picking up loads of smaller Roach - I wonder if it's down to the sensitivity of the two different set-ups, the waggler being less sensitive so you're less prone to striking into tiny taps and dips and only notice when something bigger takes the bait?

Silver fan 82

I can't remember the last time I fished anything other than a waggler on a Stillwater aside from one feeder session last year. Probably my last surface session which is a good 2.5 years ago now. Even use it quite a lot on rivers for slow flow when hemp fishing or maggot/caster fishing where there aren't bleak. Just a lovely simple yet effective method. People rave about the stick which is great fun as well but I like the waggler just as much.
I really do need to do more river fishing 👍

Silver fan 82

One thing I noticed last Friday fishing with MrMunch was he was on the waggler and picking up the bigger fish, whilst I was on the pole and picking up loads of smaller Roach - I wonder if it's down to the sensitivity of the two different set-ups, the waggler being less sensitive so you're less prone to striking into tiny taps and dips and only notice when something bigger takes the bait?
Quite possibly Dave. Was the water clear when you were fishing Friday? I wonder if the pole tip was spooking the bigger fish?
Today when I started on the feeder I think half of the problem could have been striking at what were probably tiny taps on the tip?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Interesting point could wel be a bit of that. Maybe the pole over their head spooking them or maybe the different fall of the bait on waggler as opposed to lowering it in on the pole. Could have been the less accurate casting and feeding on the waggler covering a bit more water as you often pick up better roach slightly off the main shoal that are over the primary feed area.

Silver fan 82

Interesting point could wel be a bit of that. Maybe the pole over their head spooking them or maybe the different fall of the bait on waggler as opposed to lowering it in on the pole. Could have been the less accurate casting and feeding on the waggler covering a bit more water as you often pick up better roach slightly off the main shoal that are over the primary feed area.
I was thinking the same regarding the feed area. Today when it went quiet if it wasn't because of the Perch in the swim either casting further because they had backed off the feed or slightly either side of the feed would often pickup a fish or two.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I was thinking the same regarding the feed area. Today when it went quiet if it wasn't because of the Perch in the swim either casting further because they had backed off the feed or slightly either side of the feed would often pickup a fish or two.
Yep I often experience that quite a lot as well 👍🏻

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I went to a local club lake today with just a pint of maggots with the aim of fishing the feeder.
I started off on the maggot feeder and was getting bites straight away. A good start I thought.
But I was missing alot of bites, some were just little taps, some proper bites but I just couldn't connect apart from two micro size rudd and a tiny perch.
With that I thought a change to the float may improve things.
So after plumbing up and sorting the shotting pattern out I started connecting with the bites. First few casts produced more tiny rudd, only a few oz each. But soon enough I was into a better sized Perch IMG_20210222_085005.jpg Next few casts produced a few small roach then a slightly better one
IMG_20210222_102520.jpg Then all went quiet. The float slowly dipped and I was rewarded with a much better stripey
IMG_20210222_095629.jpg A few more casts, and then this nice Roach was in the net
IMG_20210222_134729.jpg Then the spring mechanism on the bail arm of my reel broke and I was wet and cold so decided to call it a day.
A very enjoyable session, quite a few fish caught too. Next session I may have a go for the Perch with some worms.
It's also reminded me how effective the waggler can be on its day.
Thanks for reading 👍
Some nice fish there , nice interesting read and a lovely day out for you,

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Oh I'm prone to a bit of scattergun feeding at times as well. I'm alright when it's calm but if a fair bit of wind gets up especially if fishing at a reasonable distance I can end up laying on a nice spread in more ways than one 😉😅

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Whilst plumbing up I noticed a shelf 2 rod lengths out. No a huge drop but enough to offer me take or lift bites. 2 golf ball sized groundbait one on the shelf and one the drop and a smattering of maggots. I'm not too bad at accurate casting and could put the waggler within a 1 foot square on each cast. A no4 shot 6" from the hook was the tell tale and I could bring it into the shelf perfectly. The groundbait was just moist and would form a cloud on the bottom, tested in the margins whilst setting up.... 1st cast Trout... 2nd cast Roach... Dave was panicking! But his superior knowledge soon had him on the front foot and ahead. My rig was a semi weighted waggler, 6lb maxima to 5lb stroft. Size 16 Kamasan 911 and double maggot, I was always looking for the bigger fish but funnily enough I also caught the smallest! Dave soon got into his stride and was bashing them out one a chuck, I stuck to what I know...
One ball of GB every 4 casts and a small offering of maggots kept the bites coming throughout the day.
The wind direction and tow had changed halfway through the day, instead of coming from behind us the wind changed to across and into us coming from our right. Talk about undercurrent! We pressed on, I changed shotting pattern to deal with the drag and heavy line and sure enough the fish kept on coming slowly but surely. I lost a few good fish, old and rusty I guess but at the end of the day if we were to weigh in I would have Dave in front. Just...
Dave was Pole, size 20 and single maggot @ a long way out! A great days sport and a great man to fish with...
Looking forward to more!!!

baggy

Mark Saunders
I watched a video and one of the top waggler anglers said he sometimes casts upto 10m past his catapult feed , thats for carp
Works on all types of Waggler fishing, it used to work on the Huntspill a lot especially when it was fishing well and maggots were being sprayed everywhere