An Absolute Bargain

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
You can't fight it it's inevitable, bet you'll have at least one new rod by the halfway point of this year 😉😅
100% I’m after a 10ft float rod, plus a whip and a couple of new reels...oh and I’ve got my eye on a new chair
I’d still classify that as part of the ‘original’ gear needed 😉

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Only one. That’s not even remotely trying, should be 2 or 3 at least.
100% I’m after a 10ft float rod, plus a whip and a couple of new reels...oh and I’ve got my eye on a new chair
I’d still classify that as part of the ‘original’ gear needed 😉
I’ve pretty much got what I need to have now so just onto the nice to haves for now. Find it harder to justify buying those given they get so little use compared to the need to haves. Can only resist so long though! And then someone will bring out a better need to have and the cycle repeats, you can’t escape it 😅

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Interesting story that begs a couple of questions.

First is that if the rods are that good why do they have to be discounted so heavily to shift them. Is this because the seller is low on liquidity and needs to generate income any which way?

Second is that if they are still making an acceptable profit at the discounted price why were they so expensive in the first place?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Interesting story that begs a couple of questions.

First is that if the rods are that good why do they have to be discounted so heavily to shift them. Is this because the seller is low on liquidity and needs to generate income any which way?

Second is that if they are still making an acceptable profit at the discounted price why were they so expensive in the first place?
Mix of the lot I think. They were never worth the RRP and have been on sale for years since TFG made anything new so to still have some now they must have overproduced them to get the production price down. Now as the company seemingly barely exists anymore they’re probably liquidating stock like you say.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I think the new aernos is to sit between the forcemaster and the speedmaster and is also available in 9/11ft and 10ft in float and feeder. Quite intrigued as to what they're like when we can get into shops again. I know my local shop is doing the 9/11 so assume will do the 10 as well. If not I'm sure AD will.
I tend to look to BobCo these days for my kit - such excellent customer service, and product knowledge from those guys oop north. I've been looking at Nick Speed's video demos of the new Shimano Aero x range feeders. I can't believe the distances they get from those rods and the extra lob using the handy add on gizmo to the butt - out of my price range anyway but I'm not looking to buy any rods unless I break one of my existing ones. NZon rods look good and keenly priced too!

Deejay8

Site Supporter
TFGEAR do seem to be either on their way out, which would be sad, or preparing for a total relaunch with a new range. It's probably the former. I've never had any of their gear before, but I know their later rods and early rods were well regarded. I believe they may have had a period when their quality dropped a few years ago, which led to Matt Hayes ending his involvement with them. But the reviews of the rods seem mostly positive. As to pricing, the £119.99 was ridiculous. But it only has to be marketed for that price for a small time period each year, to allow it to then be sold for the 'discounted' price of £59.99, which was it's usual advertised price, and in reality that is the true retail price . But I'm happy to get a versatile rod for £35, that will be very useful.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I tend to look to BobCo these days for my kit - such excellent customer service, and product knowledge from those guys oop north. I've been looking at Nick Speed's video demos of the new Shimano Aero x range feeders. I can't believe the distances they get from those rods and the extra lob using the handy add on gizmo to the butt - out of my price range anyway but I'm not looking to buy any rods unless I break one of my existing ones. NZon rods look good and keenly priced too!
I buy a lot from bobco but only cheaper items and stuff I’ve used or at least handled before. I wouldn’t buy a big item rod or reel blind from them. Got stung doing that with the ninja rod and reel really even though it was cheap enough to not really matter. For bigger ticket items for want of a better word I like to handle them first so that’s one for my couple local shops or AD over at MK. Might still get them from bobco if they are doing a good deal though once I’ve handled them elsewhere. As much as I like to buy local if somethings got a good discount at bobco I’d be daft not to take advantage of it.

PS the aero X5 range is very nice for it’s price, I had a play with them at the big one show. The X7 are incredible but like you say very expensive!

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I buy a lot from bobco but only cheaper items and stuff I’ve used or at least handled before. I wouldn’t buy a big item rod or reel blind from them. Got stung doing that with the ninja rod and reel really even though it was cheap enough to not really matter. For bigger ticket items for want of a better word I like to handle them first so that’s one for my couple local shops or AD over at MK. Might still get them from bobco if they are doing a good deal though once I’ve handled them elsewhere. As much as I like to buy local if somethings got a good discount at bobco I’d be daft not to take advantage of it.

PS the aero X5 range is very nice for it’s price, I had a play with them at the big one show. The X7 are incredible but like you say very expensive!
Ha ! Ninja reels are better than that drennan rubbish!! And the rods are really good

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Ha ! Ninja reels are better than that drennan rubbish!! And the rods are really good
Better engineered for sure but got an annoyingly big spool and I prefer rear drag. Gone over to shimano Sahara’s for my main rods this year anyway as they’ve got the best of both of rear drag, being lighter, sensible spool size (if still a little too deep) and well engineered. Took me a while to get used to them but have decided they are better now.

The rod is good little carpy rod but not much cop for anything else but can’t expect it to be really at its price point and for what it’s designed for really so that’s my fault 😅

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Better engineered for sure but got an annoyingly big spool and I prefer rear drag. Gone over to shimano Sahara’s for my main rods this year anyway as they’ve got the best of both of rear drag, being lighter, sensible spool size (if still a little too deep) and well engineered. Took me a while to get used to them but have decided they are better now.

The rod is good little carpy rod but not much cop for anything else but can’t expect it to be really at its price point and for what it’s designed for really so that’s my fault 😅
I can’t stand rear drag reels too cumbersome, ninjas are nice and neat, and a bigger spool is better 🤷‍♂️I’ve got 4000,s on my pellet waggler rods, and 3000,s on my 10ft feeder rods ....Daiwa mini 2500 free runners on my 9ft feeder rods, then 5000,s on bigger distance rods all front drag

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I can’t stand rear drag reels too cumbersome, ninjas are nice and neat, I’ve got 4000,s on my pellet waggler rods, and 3000,s on my 10ft feeder rods ....Daiwa mini 2500 free runners on my 9ft feeder rods, then 5000,s on bigger distance rods all front drag
It’s more an aesthetic thing for me I just like the look of rear drags on float rods for some weird OCD reason. Rarely have to adjust them as I backwind on float rods so just set them lighter enough that I can easily pull line off. Perfectly happy with front drag on everything else, consider them much better for spinning rods with braid.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
It’s more an aesthetic thing for me I just like the look of rear drags on float rods for some weird OCD reason. Rarely have to adjust them as I backwind on float rods so just set them lighter enough that I can easily pull line off. Perfectly happy with front drag on everything else, consider them much better for spinning rods with braid.
So your basically saying you use a particular reel because it looks good on your rod , no other reasons why ??? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So your basically saying you use a particular reel because it looks good on your rod , no other reasons why ??? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
The aforementioned lightness, engineering and spool size obviously come first but then aesthetics do come into it after that if it’s a split decision between a couple otherwise similar reels.

Take the Sahara and the ninja. The Sahara is lighter, has a smaller and shallower spool and is at least equally well engineered and nicely finished but then also has my preferred rear drag so the Sahara wins out.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
The aforementioned lightness, engineering and spool size obviously come first but then aesthetics do come into it after that if it’s a split decision between a couple otherwise similar reels.

Take the Sahara and the ninja. The Sahara is lighter, has a smaller and shallower spool and is at least equally well engineered and nicely finished but then also has my preferred rear drag so the Sahara wins out.
Yeah the Sahara looks nice ,front drag version though, but I’ve never even seen one in the flesh so can’t comment 🤷‍♂️

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah the Sahara looks nice ,front drag version though, but I’ve never even seen one in the flesh so can’t comment 🤷‍♂️
Yeah the rear drag ones is very nice to use. Took me a bit of time to get used to the flared spool edging initially but once I got used to that all was well. Only ever seen the front drag in a cabinet so have no idea about that.

Cobweb

Site Supporter

I picked up a Browning Black Viper III 14ft 120g c/w rod from BobCo very recently for a steal at £169. It was delivered free, quickly, and in perfect working order. And I received a complimentary landing net free with that purchase. Well pleased. I have been buying from AD in the past but for me at least, Bob Co have better customer support and service. I am struggling with AD at the moment for two reason (a) a lack of stock items, and (b) poor delivery schedules and packaging when compared with BobCo. Admittedly, I am buying without the personal waggling bit first, but it's a calculated risk, and based on reviews and seeing the rod's perform on video. Being in lockdown prevents me from travelling to tackle shops where I can try out rods I am interested in- Down south, the guys around here are more into carping, lure, and sea fishing at the moment

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Price of "big" gear is a funny one, ain't it? I once held a near-top of the range Browning pole at BobCo (at 13m) and couldn't really tell the difference between that and a 13m Middy one that cost about a sixth of the price of the Browning! Maybe I am just a total philistine, or maybe I'm not good enough to use the expensive ones, but I don't really give a hoot either way :)

I've used BobCo and really like the guys there, but I've realised that my local shop can (and does) an equally good deal if you are a regular customer. Think I will buy my 'bigger' items there in future.

That said, still think the best bargain I ever got was a 15' Garbo float rod for £25 at BobCo 🤷‍♂️

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I picked up a Browning Black Viper III 14ft 120g c/w rod from BobCo very recently for a steal at £169. It was delivered free, quickly, and in perfect working order. And I received a complimentary landing net free with that purchase. Well pleased. I have been buying from AD in the past but for me at least, Bob Co have better customer support and service. I am struggling with AD at the moment for two reason (a) a lack of stock items, and (b) poor delivery schedules and packaging when compared with BobCo. Admittedly, I am buying without the personal waggling bit first, but it's a calculated risk, and based on reviews and seeing the rod's perform on video. Being in lockdown prevents me from travelling to tackle shops where I can try out rods I am interested in- Down south, the guys around here are more into carping, lure, and sea fishing at the moment
Yeah I’ve very rarely got anything from AD online as like you say they rarely have stock and service is touch and go at best. Bobco along with matchman supplies are miles ahead as online retailers 👍🏻