An Absolute Bargain

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I have been thinking about buying the TFGear Compact All Rounder float/quiver rod for a while now. It has very good reviews and seems to be an all rounder rod that is actually good as an all rounder. I want it for heavy float/pellet wag, and feeder fishing on commercials. Today I saw it on the Bargain Hunter page in Angling Times for £59.99. The cheapest I've seen it so far, although I've never seen it listed at its £119.99 rrp. I went onto the TFGear website, and sure enough £59.99 plus £4.95 postage. As I was mulling over buying it, the page refreshed. And suddenly the price was £29.99 plus postage. A sudden drop of £30.00 had happened right before my eyes. Only 5 left in stock. Well I couldn't say no at that price. So I refreshed the page to make sure that it was still that price, and it was so I bought it. At less than £35 including postage I'd be mad not too. If it's as good as the reviews say, it will be a very versatile addition to my holdall. And if it's not, well I haven't broken the bank finding out.

Last edited:

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Looks like they have some offers on all of their rod range. The 10ft float rod is £24.99. Great find - enjoy 👍

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Blimey that is a bargain. I’ve got one and it is a handy rod to have. Not much cop as float rod for normal float fishing but alright for the heavy stuff and a great floater rod. Only tried it at 10ft for that. Is a great little feeder rod at 10ft though and I’ve even used it as a spinning rod at 8ft for which is certainly functional. I was happy with it at £60 let alone £30!

If the 10ft float rods going for £25 I’m tempted to have a punt purely to see if it’s any lighter actioned than my 10ft ninja.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Blimey that is a bargain. I’ve got one and it is a handy rod to have. Not much cop as float rod for normal float fishing but alright for the heavy stuff and a great floater rod. Only tried it at 10ft for that. Is a great little feeder rod at 10ft though and I’ve even used it as a spinning rod at 8ft for which is certainly functional. I was happy with it at £60 let alone £30!

If the 10ft float rods going for £25 I’m tempted to have a punt purely to see if it’s any lighter actioned than my 10ft ninja.
I've got two very good match rods for the lighter stuff. This really is for heavy float fishing on commies and feeder work. Being a short rod, it could also be useful on some of the tiny streams, freelining a worm or using a small lure for small brown trout.

Chervil

Site Supporter
I have been thinking about buying the TFGear Compact All Rounder float/quiver rod for a while now. It has very good reviews and seems to be an all rounder rod that is actually good as an all rounder. I want it for heavy float/pellet wag, and feeder fishing on commercials. Today I saw it on the Bargain Hunter page in Angling Times for £59.99. The cheapest I've seen it so far, although I've never seen it listed at its £119.99 rrp. I went onto the TFGear website, and sure enough £59.99 plus £4.95 postage. As I was mulling over buying it, the page refreshed. And suddenly the price was £29.99 plus postage. A sudden drop of £30.00 had happened right before my eyes. Only 5 left in stock. Well I couldn't say no at that price. So I refreshed the page to make sure that it was still that price, and it was so I bought it. At less than £35 including postage I'd be mad not too. If it's as good as the reviews say, it will be a very versatile addition to my holdall. And if it's not, well I haven't broken the bank finding out.
None left now, as I bought the last one. At that price, I thought I'd give it a look. Many thanks for the post.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
None left now, as I bought the last one. At that price, I thought I'd give it a look. Many thanks for the post.
It's a total no brainer at that price. I was so lucky to on the page, just as it dropped in price. I'm glad you've benefited too. They do seem to be a well made and useful little rod.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Should have bought all 5 and sold them for £45. Yours would have been free then.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter

I’ve been looking at getting a 10ft float rod as a bit of an all rounder/spare. Potentially to use on really tight swims - there appear to be a few on the Tadpole/Rushey stretch. Plus to also use on commercials/ponds in the margins for carp/tench. I had my eye on the on a Shimano Forcemaster but at this price it is very tempting..🤔

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve been looking at getting a 10ft float rod as a bit of an all rounder/spare. Potentially to use on really tight swims - there appear to be a few on the Tadpole/Rushey stretch. Plus to also use on commercials/ponds in the margins for carp/tench. I had my eye on the on a Shimano Forcemaster but at this price it is very tempting..🤔
I got the 10ft ninja to use on my little boat as you don't really want to be swinging a 13-14ft rod on a 16ft by 3ft boat especially with someone else on it with you! It's an alright rod with a respectable action but is too powerful really. The forcemaster felt quite a powerful strange actioned rod, the speedmaster feels a bit better but is more expensive and has a weird handle. I want to find one of their new aernos rods when the shops re open is it's a bit cheaper than the speedmaster with a nicer handle and by the looks of it general finish. The action won't be perfect but it's only got to be slightly better than the ninja really to maybe be worth it. Bit of a nice to have item really as I don't use the boat enough to really worry about it as much as I do for my proper fishing float rods so will just see where I'm at financially when the new seasons rolls around. What I'm after doesn't really exist so I don't want to spend anything like as much as I do on my normal float rods for something that won't be quite right.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I got the 10ft ninja to use on my little boat as you don't really want to be swinging a 13-14ft rod on a 16ft by 3ft boat especially with someone else on it with you! It's an alright rod with a respectable action but is too powerful really. The forcemaster felt quite a powerful strange actioned rod, the speedmaster feels a bit better but is more expensive and has a weird handle. I want to find one of their new aernos rods when the shops re open is it's a bit cheaper than the speedmaster with a nicer handle and by the looks of it general finish. The action won't be perfect but it's only got to be slightly better than the ninja really to maybe be worth it. Bit of a nice to have item really as I don't use the boat enough to really worry about it as much as I do for my proper fishing float rods so will just see where I'm at financially when the new seasons rolls around. What I'm after doesn't really exist so I don't want to spend anything like as much as I do on my normal float rods for something that won't be quite right.
Thanks for the heads up on the Shimanos. Still being new I’m not sure how much difference I’d notice between the different actions if that makes sense? I’m not sure i would really know what to look out for ha.

I hear you - not worth spending hundreds on something that won’t be perfect. As you say you may aswell hold off for the time being and keep looking, you have something to do a job for the time being.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks for the heads up on the Shimanos. Still being new I’m not sure how much difference I’d notice between the different actions if that makes sense? I’m not sure i would really know what to look out for ha.
It can be quite a hard thing to explain and but when you've had a few different rods go through your hands you pick up the differences. All to do with stuff like where and how they bend and how quickly they recover from bending etc.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
It can be quite a hard thing to explain and but when you've had a few different rods go through your hands you pick up the differences. All to do with stuff like where and how they bend and how quickly they recover from bending etc.
Like you say it just comes with experience..that is a large part of the reason I’m reluctant to spend loads on rods, reels etc. I’m hoping my current kit lasts me 3-4 years and by then I should have a much better idea as to what to look for I.e.the type of rods that suit me etc

Cobweb

Site Supporter
The forcemaster felt quite a powerful strange actioned rod, the speedmaster feels a bit better but is more expensive and has a weird handle.
I have both of those rods but in the case of the Speedmaster the 10ft feeder version only. Of course these are rods for commercial waters. I picked up my Forcemaster (AXs) for £30 (with discounts and rewards from AD) I don't use the rods now and have replaced the float with a Daiwa TDM Power Pellet Waggler now but both are capable of landing double figure carp into the teens. I like the weird (quirky) handle on the Speedmaster which is my go to method feeder rod for commercials. The three tips are sensitive enough to enable it as a bomb rod and the c/w is 70g which is even more unusual than the butt for a course rod of that length. That rod can handle some powerful fish and I've found it very versatile

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have both of those rods but in the case of the Speedmaster the 10ft feeder version only. Of course these are rods for commercial waters. I picked up my Forcemaster (AXs) for £30 (with discounts and rewards from AD) I don't use the rods now and have replaced the float with a Daiwa TDM Power Pellet Waggler now but both are capable of landing double figure carp into the teens. I like the weird (quirky) handle on the Speedmaster which is my go to method feeder rod for commercials. The three tips are sensitive enough to enable it as a bomb rod and the c/w is 70g which is even more unusual than the butt for a course rod of that length. That rod can handle some powerful fish and I've found it very versatile
I think the new aernos is to sit between the forcemaster and the speedmaster and is also available in 9/11ft and 10ft in float and feeder. Quite intrigued as to what they're like when we can get into shops again. I know my local shop is doing the 9/11 so assume will do the 10 as well. If not I'm sure AD will.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Like you say it just comes with experience..that is a large part of the reason I’m reluctant to spend loads on rods, reels etc. I’m hoping my current kit lasts me 3-4 years and by then I should have a much better idea as to what to look for I.e.the type of rods that suit me etc
🤣🤣🤣🤣 if you are anything like most of us on here, you’ll have more kit than you can shake a stick at in 3-4 years time.