Have we been programmed into taking to much tackle with us

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
When i was a kid i remember riding home from school, chucking my bag in the corner of the room, getting changed then running downstairs out to the shed grabbing my gear and back on my bike to go fishing for a few hours before it got dark.

It was a simple life back then, my dads old wicker basket, a rod, landing net and wire rod rest, hours of my childhood spent sat on a basket happily watching my float drift downstream.

Now-a-days we see multistorey seat boxes, with drawers full of stuff, numerous bags, trolley piled high with gear and yet....very little of it will actually be used whilst fishing, it is just "there in case".

To me, in my eyes, making sure you have all this gear and the time, effort etc spent moving it around has ruined the relaxation and fun of fishing
and i've never seen a valid reason for why it's needed apart from "just in case".

Yes ok angling has advanced, but, has it advanced to such a stage that unless you can carry half a tackle shop and a ton of gadgets with you then you aren't going to have a decent session?

Does anybody else feel like this?

Anyway, the questions is.........

62tucker

Site Supporter
Love any sort of fishing. But love nowt better than my 7ft spinning rod. In hand. In my pocket I have a small tub of worms. 1 spare 2 bb float 1 packet of size 18 hooks a tub of bb. A disgorger. A pair of forceps. And then a walk up the stream after wild brown trout. Spend half my time making dams or altering the flow of stream to make faster flows and better fishing next time.
On other hand if I go carping my car is usually pack to rafters. Once picked some food up near to where I was going and it had to stay on my knee when driving

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Love any sort of fishing. But love nowt better than my 7ft spinning rod. In hand. In my pocket I have a small tub of worms. 1 spare 2 bb float 1 packet of size 18 hooks a tub of bb. A disgorger. A pair of forceps. And then a walk up the stream after wild brown trout. Spend half my time making dams or altering the flow of stream to make faster flows and better fishing next time.
On other hand if I go carping my car is usually pack to rafters. Once picked some food up near to where I was going and it had to stay on my knee when driving
Yes we convince ourselves we've got to take that mountain of gear because were going to need it surely .5 hours later the whistle goes and most of it is still in the bags used a pole and feeder rod but have 3 rods a margin pole and countless other bits of kit not seen daylight. I need a rest when I get to my peg with the gear I take . Years ago I used to walk 3 mile with a whicker basket a cheap rod and reel I think my food and drink weighed more than my tackle lol

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I would like to think I have got it about right. If I carry too much it's because I duplicate many things just in case.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think I get it about right. If I’m fishing on my own on a typical session I’ll take my quiver with 3 or 4 rods and 1 or 2 landing net handles and a couple bank sticks in it, net bag with 1 or 2 landing nets in it, a chair, a ruckbag with all terminal tackle then reels and bait go in the bag or just folded up on the chair. Might have a separate bag for food and drink but can usually fit that in one of the other bits. It’s all perfectly easy to carry on my own on all but the longest hottest walks. Sometimes I’ll go lighter when I can get away with it but best to be prepared. That said I’m usually fishing with my dad or grandad so we just split a combination of our gear between us which makes it really easy to carry.

Lightest I go is when I fish from my little boat when it’s one rod, one reel, one net and a little clip lock box of bits. Well and a boat that’s quite a lot of stuff to pack lol

Sam Vimes

I rarely take more than two rods and a fairly small bait and bits bag. If I'm fishing a still water, I'll add a chair to that. If I'm fishing a river, I don't bother with the chair. I find that the trick to stop taking too much is to have far too much gear to even think about taking it all on every trip.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Match fishing and planning for eventualities aside I think a lot of anglers take so much tackle because they like to look at what they have got and it provides a "comfort blanket" by knowing it's with them.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Depending on venue, it's either pole and margin pole, seatbox landing net, rollers, bag for bits .
Or float rod feeder rod landing net something to sit on seatbox or chair, bag for bits.
If a match, to much to mention.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
My usual tackle is a rod sleeve, two rods in it, couple of bank sticks, landing net handle and a brolly, shoulder bag with tackle, reels, rodrest heads etc, a net hanging off it, unhooking mat rolled up on top...if i'm fishing a pool or canal i'll someimes take a seat with me if i'm fishing rivers or drains i'll use my unhooking mat as a seat.

PAB

Site Supporter
I have gone full circle now same as you started with rod reel and bait and bits in a creel progressed to taking a tackle shop with me on electric wheels now back to couple of rods and a small ruck sack with a nice light arm chair.

trotter2

River or Stillwater I take very little compared to some.
Most of my gear fits in a seat rucksack. And that's the way I like my fishing.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I take just enough to cover me for the type of fishing I feel like doing. If Carping, then I'll swap the match gear for the Carp gear or if going on a river, then the river gear comes out. I have my gear set up this way to cover all my fishing needs with each 'set' ready to go. I'm not one for piling everything on a barrow just to use a pole and I often wonder why people do that. Why take half a dozen rods when 2 will probably cover your needs on the bank?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
My usual tackle is a rod sleeve, two rods in it, couple of bank sticks, landing net handle and a brolly, shoulder bag with tackle, reels, rodrest heads etc, a net hanging off it, unhooking mat rolled up on top...if i'm fishing a pool or canal i'll someimes take a seat with me if i'm fishing rivers or drains i'll use my unhooking mat as a seat.
Dont forget your pole 😁

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I could do with taking a leaf out of PAB's book. I take far too much gear.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Were the top kits ok as I have found some more if you need them also spares for the Grim Reaper
Its @Trogg who has the pole, I gave it to him, message him to see, I know he said assorted sizes of kits. Thanks for thinking it was me 👍

angel

Site Supporter
A rod n reel plus banksticks, brolly, unhooking mat, landing net, small tackle bag and a bait bag is still too much to carry nowadays for me so I need the chair as well... it was a natural progression to get a wheel kit for the chair which turns it into a barrow. The sidetable goes in the pocket on the chair.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
My fishing has seen a stark reduction in the gear I take with me.... but it has seen a marked increase in the amount of times I fish... knowing all I need is a rod, reel, net, chair, some bits and bait, its easy to put a kit together and beggar off out and fish... my match days are all but finished and I'm loving it