American Lures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
AMERICAN LURE FISHING

The U.S.Market seems to have developed far wider a range of colours, depths, shapes and sizes than we have at home!

Probably because most of their species actively pursue lures, whereas apart from Pike, Perch and Zander, with chub to a far lesser extent and the occasional, widely commented on Carp, or Bream freak take, all our fish are fairly leisurely feeders.

I must admit, that I have found lure fishing a pleasant change, active and very exciting on the take, even with a small 1lb Jack!
I am really pleased to have this added to my armoury and would highlight the following misconception!

Its too dear if you lose your lures!

The average pleasure session will see you spend perhaps around 2.00 on maggots, same on ground bait and perhaps lose a couple of hooks, line and maybe a feeder/float?

Probably 5.00
On checking at the local Tackle shop, the cheapest Plug was around 6.99, so yes its slightly dearer, but I came back with Plugs costing less than 1.20 each, so Ive got a long way to go and time to source cheaper lures.

OK The Market divides into
1) Hard baits
These are Plugs Shads Minnows etc.
Basically Hard material shaped items, subdivided into diving, shallow or deep, or surface floating lures.
Heres some I brought back.

Datafile.jpg

The top 3 are all Plugs, the steeper the angle of the Bill the more shallow it floats, but flutters more!
The next 2 down are larger versions, the left one jointed to cause a fluttery tail simulation, with the 1 on the right is designed to float and its propeller causes a vibration, attractive to the Predator (or maybe just annoying!)
Some of these are loaded with ball bearings to rattle as they go along!
6 and 7 are again bigger plugs and 8 is a simple spoon of solid metal, with a hook guard that helps prevent snagging, but folds flat on a take, exposing the hook.

The Bottom 4 are Shads, simply simulations of distressed fish.
Minnows I am unable to show you, but provide later links.

2) Wire baits
These are basically Spinner baits and the ones we know of as Mepps, plus Buzz baits that are surface drawn spinners, again creating a wash and vibration.
Ungainly as they look, these wire bait spinners certainly caught in America and will try with interest here.

Datafile.jpg

The top ones are spinner baits and the lower ones buzzbaits with the triple or double propellers

Heres a dozen in line spinners.
American top row, Mepps underneath.
Datafile.jpg

3)Soft Baits
These include any plastic, spun, jigged or simply hooked .
The stump jumper is a jig head for weight, attached to some kind of plastic 'tail' and has a spring protected single hook to avoid snagging. It may also incorporate a spinner and have a 'rattle' added.

img]/myphoto/Datafile.asp?FileID=95 Datafile.jpg

Centrally are 2 Jigheads and the 2 each side are different size, made up Stump Jumpers
Below are Soft baits, that can be added to the Jighead or fished alone.
These are heavily salt and scented and you can add further attractants, although at the prices few do!
The 2 small items bottom left are just like our float adaptor add ons.
You can slip these on most anything and they add a spinner and a small tube of rattling shot!

4) Soft Surface
These, animal look-alikes are designed to be used over lily beds and the like, without snagging. The two hooks are concealed by the bodies shape, but collapse on gripping, revealing 2 Great hooks!
I cant wait to try these for takes off the top.
Tested the small one and a jerky retrieve gives the most lifelike frog leg action I have ever seen!
Incidentally, Newt found this one in a tree, so there are other casters like me out there!
Bet Stu will offer me a fortune for the Rat! Price each? $2.50, less than 2!

Datafile.jpg

5) Worms

Artificial worms are still claimed to be tournament winners!
Fished in various styles (Texas, hooked through the middle, Carolina rigged, jerk and draw method) they are supplied in various shapes, colours and lengths, with single or multiple hooks, or add your own!
I wonder how the Derwent Trout will take to these. I will find out!
Datafile.jpg

Finally, Storage!
Here's the Incredible deal I got on the Plano 785 Box

Datafile.jpg

5 Compartment, with a hanging rack section under the lid for the spinner baits!
Loads of space in anti tangle trays (and any lure user will know how the trebles love to bind to each other) all for $14.99 a fraction over 10.00.

Datafile.jpg

AND advertised the Plano759 in IYCF April, (has a small plastic cover on top to form 6th compartment) 84.99!!!!!!!!

Well thats it folks, Hope it was of interest

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

PS Sorry, Here's the Bass-pro link to Millions of Lures!http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.Department?hvarDept=100

Edited by - Ziptrev on 27 May 2002 9:23:13 PM

MALC

Great read Trev (as always).

Although Lure fishing is something that i have very little interest in (i maybe do it once or twice a year) i found your explaination very detailed and interesting.

Well done and thankyou.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hell Trev,
Great post,love the photo's (you have been busy)
Never really had a lot of interest in lure fishing,but this post has certainly stirred the old grey matter.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

darryl

trev have some plugs and spinners not badly price from used tackle ,but no where near has impressive as yours very informative piece you never know you may turn us all in to pluggers.darryl

work`s for them who can`t fish

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
AND now I understand a bit more daz, I've asked Newt to get me some duplicates and missing patterns!
Lucky man was just off to his Lake (about 2 20pm there now!)
Don't worry, I'll see you right!
Now about this hundredweight of pre-mixed 12 carp catcher bait? LOL!

See you soon

Trev

Edited by - Ziptrev on 28 May 2002 12:06:45 AM

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Slow on the lake today - for everyone. I baited up and set out 2 rods for catfish and 2 for carp from noon. Finally got disgusted at around 6:30 and took in the anchors, lowered the trolling motor, and went in search of a willing bass.

Only found one over the next hour but it was a real scrapper at around 3lbs. Chunky little devil and though he was at least twice as big as he was. Lure was like the pic except the top spinner was red and the body had some red in it. I tried a variety but this was the only one that sparked any interest. Lure into the weeds about a foot and was hit before I got to clear water.

Datafile.jpg

Trev - I will find a couple of the same pattern to send on to you with your other lures.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
OK Newt, Thats Great.
Have a match tomorrow, but slaving away ,trying to copy this whole thread to print for parents!
Limited success, some pics work, others dont .
God knows why!

Firetiger seems the ace taker at present, all greens seem to stir them?
But happy to try red and this 'Chartreuse' , whatever!

LOL

Trev

n/a2

deleted
originally by Daz:

trev have some plugs and spinners not badly priced from used tackle

Hi Daz, nice to know there are some other Nottinghamians. Did you visit Used Tackle in person? An old mate of mine helps out there now and then (big fella named Dave). If you see him ask him about the time we caught the 13 million dollar fish.

Hillbilly.

Edited by - hillbilly on 28 May 2002 05:24:20 AM

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hi Hillbilly,
Just up the road from daz and get most of my kit from used of Hucknall.
Hafta go soon now as Big Dave and the 13 million sounds intriguing!
Cya

Trev

darryl

yes hillbilly it`s my local tackle shop so use it all the time next time i see dave i will ask him (can you remember billy`s bus the mobil shop in calverton).........darryl

n/a2

deleted
(can you remember billy`s bus the mobil shop in calverton).........darryl

Hi,Daz. Sure can remember the bus. He used to park at the bottom of our street (Pepper Road).

Zippy, you'll have to get the story about the $13 million fish from Big Dave. Then I'll tell you the real story 'cos he's a bigger bull-sh!**er than I am.

darryl

hillbilly.....well that is my uncle and jill who worked on the shop with him is my mother next time i will ask them if they rember you........darryl

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
daz - be sure to tell em Hillbilly is older than dirt. Why he is even older than Trev. Older than I (by a smidgen). But still very much alive and kicking which is the important part. icon_smile_big.gif

Newt Vail

n/a2

deleted
quote:
daz - be sure to tell em Hillbilly is older than dirt. Why he is even older than Trev. Older than I (by a smidgen). But still very much alive and kicking which is the important part. icon_smile_big.gif

Newt Vail

You cheeky bugger'

Hillbilly.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Aw shucks Hillbilly - just wanted to make sure they were thinking of the right person. icon_smile_big.gif

Newt Vail

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
What would you expect to catch on a long, shallow running (to maybe 4 ft max) minnow that was mostly bubble-gum color with some white?

I'm hoping it will look something like a roach (with their silver and the reddish fins) 'cause I couldn't find a lure here that looks exactly like one.

How about on a 7inch floating worm in camo colors with a huge "mouth" on front so it will make pop or glug sounds if twitched. My hope is that pike will see it and decide it looks strange but edible.

Or maybe a 6inch lizard in a vivid green (called "watermellon" over here) that sinks and has a nice rattle in it?

How about a 5inch white "tube" that is shaped sorta like a squid (with a rattle and small weight to take it down)?

To find out for sure, ask Trev in a couple of weeks since all of these are in the package that is on it's way to him.

BTW - I have given you a list of the things he didn't specifically ask for but I felt were included in his "send me _____ and if you see anything else interesting, include it". ROFLMAO

There are some "normal" lures as well.

Dave - maybe you need to add to his title so it reads "Roving Reporter and Lure Guy". icon_smile_big.gif

Trev - we expect to see another photo spread after the box gets there.

Newt Vail

Edited by - Newt on 03 June 2002 7:15:32 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.