Amazing difference in service, (or lack of)!

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
As s abome of you may know I live in Germany and will be coming to the UK soon to visit family: I decided that I wanted to buy a Preston Feeder Feeda rod, so I scouted the internet and saw that Benwick Sports, (B.S), were selling one for 83.33 quid. Bargain I thougt, so I contacted my Brother in Law, (B-I-L) and asked him to purchase it on my behalf. He agreed and contacted B.S (B.S, could also count for something else in this case)! He was informed that postage would be added, (fair enough) and that tax of 16 quid plus would be added. He lives in England so I don't understand that! He contacted me and I told him to just purchase it, which he did and had a confirmation SMS from BS. The next thing was that he got another SMS from BS saying that they had refunded his money and without giving any apology or explanation! Unbelievable!! He then informed me of this sloppy business practice and I went on the internet hunt again. I found the same rod at Matchman Supplies, but nearly 20 quid cheaper when posted. He ordered the rod on Monday at 14:00 and it arrived on Tuesday at 14:00! Now that's what I call service-Benwick Sports, look and learn!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Interesting. Never had a problem with BS myself but I've never ordered a big item like a rod from them. I like that they stock a lot of terminal tackle and floats and so have put some big orders for those in though and not had a problem.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Customer Service, something sadly a lot of companies say a lot about but do little to deliver. I am never sure why we accept poor service in this country. More than that I don't understand how people want good customer service when a customer but fail to provide it when the seller. What goes around comes around.

In all my career I strove to give my customers the best service I could given the constraints of working for a large company. In turn I demand good service when I am the customer.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I am surprised at Benwick if I’m honest. I‘ve never had a problem with them.
Used to be a real battle haggling with them in the shop😂.
I don’t know who runs it now but we ran into the owner and his wife at Square lake, Dalfsen. Which you may know👍

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Customer Service, something sadly a lot of companies say a lot about but do little to deliver. I am never sure why we accept poor service in this country. More than that I don't understand how people want good customer service when a customer but fail to provide it when the seller. What goes around comes around.

In all my career I strove to give my customers the best service I could given the constraints of working for a large company. In turn I demand good service when I am the customer.
In other words Neil, treat people like you would like to be treated, i totally agree with you.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I am surprised at Benwick if I’m honest. I‘ve never had a problem with them.
Used to be a real battle haggling with them in the shop😂.
I don’t know who runs it now but we ran into the owner and his wife at Square lake, Dalfson. Which you may know👍
Hi Smiffy, do I know you from Holland mate?

smiffy

Site Supporter
Hi Smiffy, do I know you from Holland mate?
We may have run into each other but i dont think we know each other. We have mutual friends and I’ve seen you write about the Anglo-Dutch👍 I haven’t been out there for 8 years now. If you used to fish the MoD week out there then I, sure we would have met.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
We may have run into each other but i dont think we know each other. We have mutual friends and I’ve seen you write about the Anglo-Dutch👍 I haven’t been out there for 8 years now. If you used to fish the MoD week out there then I, sure we would have met.
No Smiffy mate, I haven't fished Military matches for 30 years plus now, who knows though, maybe we'll meet there in the future. :)

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Benwick are one of my first go to shops when looking for kit. Always had good deals and customer service from them. Just goes to show you, whats good for some isn't necessarily so for others.
Glad you got it sorted Pat👍

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
As s abome of you may know I live in Germany and will be coming to the UK soon to visit family: I decided that I wanted to buy a Preston Feeder Feeda rod, so I scouted the internet and saw that Benwick Sports, (B.S), were selling one for 83.33 quid. Bargain I thougt, so I contacted my Brother in Law, (B-I-L) and asked him to purchase it on my behalf. He agreed and contacted B.S (B.S, could also count for something else in this case)! He was informed that postage would be added, (fair enough) and that tax of 16 quid plus would be added. He lives in England so I don't understand that! He contacted me and I told him to just purchase it, which he did and had a confirmation SMS from BS. The next thing was that he got another SMS from BS saying that they had refunded his money and without giving any apology or explanation! Unbelievable!! He then informed me of this sloppy business practice and I went on the internet hunt again. I found the same rod at Matchman Supplies, but nearly 20 quid cheaper when posted. He ordered the rod on Monday at 14:00 and it arrived on Tuesday at 14:00! Now that's what I call service-Benwick Sports, look and learn!
As you viewed from outside UK there was no vat.
Uk price is £99.99 on their site.
Suspect payment failed - system is Sage and it is problem prone as it’s a middle man payment system.
Had same problem with sage on line with another company when internet shopping.
It timed out as Sage tried to take payment from my bank. An anti fraud measure in place on my account required me to verify payment. Time taken doing this timed out Sage between shop.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Like others I am surprised that Benwick sports failed on the customer service front as they are one of my 4 go to shops for kit along with matchman supplies, Bobco and Bristol Angling Centre. I have never had an issue with any of them. Benwick are usually really on the ball with text and email messages regarding order status and delivery times

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
As you viewed from outside UK there was no vat.
Uk price is £99.99 on their site.
Suspect payment failed - system is Sage and it is problem prone as it’s a middle man payment system.
Had same problem with sage on line with another company when internet shopping.
It timed out as Sage tried to take payment from my bank. An anti fraud measure in place on my account required me to verify payment. Time taken doing this timed out Sage between shop.
An interesting point that you raised there about the price being sans VAT as I viewed it from Germany, if that's the case then I'll take back my comment about the price change, but as they don't export to Germany anymore, I'm not sure that that is the case! But I won't take back my comment about lack of communication and customer service!

Last edited:

PearTree

Calder Reborn....
Site Supporter
I'm pretty sure Benwick's prices were shown without VAT when I looked at their website whilst I was abroad.