Am I the weirdo

Simon R

Site Supporter
I think I've got less weird over the last thirty years - although everybody else hasn't :p

For the best part of a decade I considered a 30 minute yomp along a flooded River Ouse in the depths of winter spending five hours trying to persuade a gonk or a tommy to hang itself or fishing in the nettles for a pair of eyes was fun:rolleyes::rolleyes: - and looking forward with great anticipation to the next round in a fortnights time.

I often wonder if the team I fished for at the time hadn't folded (followed by the division itself) would I still be doing the same?
Somehow I doubt it

Simon

Aztecca

Out of interest where are these nice parts of Brum you speak of?I lived in Brum my whole life and have never heard of such places.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Out of interest where are these nice parts of Brum you speak of?I lived in Brum my whole life and have never heard of such places.
I was thinking the same... either Harborne or Moseley (possibly Bournville, even less likely Sutton Colfield). I love the first two having grown up in Acocks Green.

BTMS

Site Supporter
When my Mrs makes me my packed lunch when I go fishing she always moans about my sandwich cheeses and strawberry jam mmm

grey

Site Supporter
Come-on! I grew up in Brum and there are loads of nice places. I still dream to be in Handsworth every spring...

Last edited:

grey

Site Supporter
...and by summer having to move to Edgbaston to avoid the riots.

Ah, the brum swings like a pendulum do.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Handsworth, Lozells, Newtown, Aston, Nechells, Highgate, Winson Green, Sparkbrook, Sparkhill, Small Heath, Erdington, Alum Rock, Shard End, Bordesley Green, Tyseley, Castle Brom... avoid those and you're doing pretty well... and that's before you get to the bits given to Solihull like Chelmsley Wood... seems most of the Brummies on here are now exiled like me.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I was fortunate enough that having started living in Erdington we moved out to Sutton Coldfield, which along with Solihull is considered to be among the nicer parts of Brum. There are other nice areas too, but these are the ones I was familiar with.

I even caught my first fish in Sutton Park - a mighty perch that must have tipped the scales at a whole ounce.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm not that familiar with Sutton Coldfield, but have had to drive through it a few times, driving through neighbouring Little Aston I was very impressed by all the big houses, a footballers village, millionaires row, whatever you want to call it. There are similar areas around Solihull (Dorridge) and Bromsgrove (Barnt Green).

JayD

Site Supporter
I think I've got less weird over the last thirty years - although everybody else hasn't :p

For the best part of a decade I considered a 30 minute yomp along a flooded River Ouse in the depths of winter spending five hours trying to persuade a gonk or a tommy to hang itself or fishing in the nettles for a pair of eyes was fun:rolleyes::rolleyes: - and looking forward with great anticipation to the next round in a fortnights time.

I often wonder if the team I fished for at the time hadn't folded (followed by the division itself) would I still be doing the same?
Somehow I doubt it

Simon
Only a 30 minute yomp? You didn't draw half way between Dunsforth and Aldwalk then?

Ah the good old days, looking enviously at those who'd drawn the 'little fields' as you carried on past. Having to negotiate a dozen styles, 'Tupper' to avoid, or fend off, while praying that you'd drawn a 'fence end' swim, or landed on a few chub. Then 5 hours later, the return trip. Then have to fight your way to the bar in the 'Anchor' for a pie and a pint, to find out the result, and discuss what went wrong.

I only wish I was young and fit enough to be able to do it all again.

John

The Landlord

Site Supporter
When I was a financial adviser for Commercial Union, our regional office was in Halesowen.....a place called Shell Corner. Had to go there every month & we'd have lunch at the Stag & Three Horseshoes then I'd stay overnight at a hotel on Edgbaston Road.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Halesowen is near enough to where I live now, it's classed as the Black Country, there's a sign 'Welcome to the Black Country' and 'No Car Cruising in Black Country - High Court Injunction' signs, but it's just on the edge of the Black Country and so has never felt like proper Yam Yam land to me. I went to a grammar school in Bartley Green (another deprived area) so although I had mates from all over Birmingham going there, as I had to travel over an hour on the bus to get there, always made me a bit of a weirdo.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Only a 30 minute yomp? You didn't draw half way between Dunsforth and Aldwalk then?
Opposite bank usually John
Hunters Lodge to Linton

At the time drawing Linton Top meant parking on the roadside near the RAF base and crossing three fields before even reaching the river and then up to a dozen pegs in either direction - and for those who don't know the Ouse it wouldn't be unusual for your peg to be 50 yards long.

If you were at the downstream end it was an easier, albeit slightly longer, walk to come in from Linton Lock - until the greedy chunt who owned it started charging for car-parking. Plus if you were at Linton you'd invariably be last back to the Anchor and find it three deep at the bar and all the rolls already scoffed.

Over the course of my Winter League 'career' I fished about two dozen matches between the jungle at Dunsforth and Linton Lock (plus Ouse Championships and half a dozen matches on the York water at Beningbrough) and only had more than a pound on around six occasions - once had five pound odd of roach from a peg two below the plantation at Hunters - finished sixth overall but only fifth in the section - scored better points the following round with the usual half ounce of bits. :p

They've now got riverside car-parking at both Hunters Lodge and Linton Top so the walks are no longer so daunting - the Anchor is no more though:cry:

Simon

piscatorial

I don't know if SWMBO was raised in a particularly atypical part of North London, but she looks on me with a kind of patronising pity on a number of things, to the point that she is convinced that I am the weird one. Admittedly, I spent most of my youth growing up in one of the nicer areas of Birmingham (yes, they do exist), with a wide range of cultural influences (not to mention working for 6 months in the heart of the Black Country) which may have had unforeseen impact on my development. But I still, to this day, believe I am fundamentally 'normal'.

Which raises the question: Am I weird if I eat Bovril on toast? (In the same way one would eat Marmite on toast).

Discuss.
Coming from West Brom myself , I'd say your'e normal.
I had marmite on toast this morning topped with smoked salmon :)

JayD

Site Supporter
Opposite bank usually John
Hunters Lodge to Linton

At the time drawing Linton Top meant parking on the roadside near the RAF base and crossing three fields before even reaching the river and then up to a dozen pegs in either direction - and for those who don't know the Ouse it wouldn't be unusual for your peg to be 50 yards long.

If you were at the downstream end it was an easier, albeit slightly longer, walk to come in from Linton Lock - until the greedy chunt who owned it started charging for car-parking. Plus if you were at Linton you'd invariably be last back to the Anchor and find it three deep at the bar and all the rolls already scoffed.

Over the course of my Winter League 'career' I fished about two dozen matches between the jungle at Dunsforth and Linton Lock (plus Ouse Championships and half a dozen matches on the York water at Beningbrough) and only had more than a pound on around six occasions - once had five pound odd of roach from a peg two below the plantation at Hunters - finished sixth overall but only fifth in the section - scored better points the following round with the usual half ounce of bits. :p

They've now got riverside car-parking at both Hunters Lodge and Linton Top so the walks are no longer so daunting - the Anchor is no more though:cry:

Simon
Strangely, I only drew on the Hunters length once on a big match, and that was a C&IU North of England match. I don't know when you fished it, but I started in my teens in the mid 60s, it was decent fishing, plenty of smaller stuff, but usually a chub or two came along during the session. it changed about 69, when the smaller species especially roach just seemed to disappear, and you usually had to rely on finding the chub, or bream in a big match. I fished a club match at Nun Monkton, in about 72, and had 6 roach, they were so rare on the Ouse, that I had guys coming from another match, just to see them!
I've fished Aldwark, Hunters, Linton, and Newton a few times over the last couple of years, after a pretty long absence, it's changed a lot over the time. Much more overgrown, and less bank space available, unless you take a spade to dig a way to the river, especially on the much shorter Aldwark length.
If you go down the track leading to Hunter lodge stretch, beware of the weather, I got to the bottom of it on one trip last year, and got stuck in the mud, It took the best part of an hour to get back to the road, I always take a spade with me now, just in case.

John.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Handsworth, Lozells, Newtown, Aston, Nechells, Highgate, Winson Green, Sparkbrook, Sparkhill, Small Heath, Erdington, Alum Rock, Shard End, Bordesley Green, Tyseley, Castle Brom... avoid those and you're doing pretty well... and that's before you get to the bits given to Solihull like Chelmsley Wood... seems most of the Brummies on here are now exiled like me.
A little job took me to Alum Rock one summer about twelve years ago. It was like downtown Karachi (and yes, I have been to downtown Karachi).

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
A little job took me to Alum Rock one summer about twelve years ago. It was like downtown Karachi (and yes, I have been to downtown Karachi).
Haha I was going to say... there's no place like Birmingham on earth... that is unless you've been to Karachi - actually had Karachi in mind before you posted too lol.