Am i the only one that this happens to?

Foul hooked

So, Had a session on the local canal yesterday. a bit slow going but a few skimmers and perch etc on the pole but nothing doing on the feeder. As swmbo had arranged for us to visit friends in the evening i had my orders to pack up around 5pm-ish or i would have been in some no little bother.
About half an hour to go so i thought i would chuck the feeder out again while i started to get my gear together. Almost instantly the tip went right round and stayed there. Couple of minutes later a nice bream was in the net. Out went the feeder and again almost instantly pulled round. another bream, this time a cracking 4.5lber, a pb for this venue for me. Yep, you know whats coming next. same again, this time i had barely tightened up after casting before another one. The water was one huge mass of bubbles, with the odd fin breaking the surface across the far bank now. it was a feeding frenzy. In that half an hour i had put 6 fish for almost 16lb in the net and decided that the only way i was not going to get roasted alive was to tip all my bait away to ensure that i resisted the temptation to carry on.
Only once before have i ever been sat on top of a shoal of bream that had suddenly decided it was time to get their heads down and hoover up whatever i put in front of them and that was thirty years ago in Ireland. I have heard of big catches on this stretch but they only come along once in a blue moon, normally a good day would be the odd decent sized bonus fish or two amongst the skimmers and roach etc.
With heavy heart i put the gear away, trudged up the towpath and wended my way home. I am sure that the fish were laughing at the forlorn figure that was departing the party.
why could these fish have not started feeding like that a couple of hours before? Why did it have to be the one day that i could not just stay on for a bit longer. The way these fish were going at it i reckon i would have seriously, and i mean ridiculously seriously, bagged.
There have been many time in the past when i have wished that i could have spent just a bit longer on the bank as have we all, but this was a real killer. That is one big one that she owes me.
Does any one else have a similar tale of woe and what could have been, or is it just me that this happens to?

Attachments

• 20210903_183101_01 (002).jpg
    20210903_183101_01 (002).jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 19

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's the law of the sod but that's still a decent bag. I've never had it quite so extreme, never had a decent bag of canal Bream for that matter except for in Ireland when we bagged up overnight. I fished canals for years as well. But 'witching hour' never seems quite long enough for me, especially on the weir I fish, often the Chub will turn on when the sun goes behind the trees, dinner time, soon to be my dinner time even though it's a free stretch and I could stay as long as I want, overnight if I wanted, I never do.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Part of the Wellingborough controlled stetch of canal was electrofished last year. To everyone's surprise many large bream were seen. No one ever catches them.

I have to assume that they feed at night or dusk/dawn.

I did once come second in the Northants County Cup with a net of unexpected canal skimmers. That was after taking some advice that seemed wrong at the start. Feed one spot with a potful of 4mil pellets. That spot produced the skimmers in the last 70 minutes.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I've lost count of the number of complaints I've heard about venues from people that fish "office hours". At this time of year, I rarely bother to leave the house until mid afternoon. It's not remotely unusual to catch very little until after tea time. For the perfect storm, the other half of the right time equation is being in the right place.

tincatim

Site Supporter
It’s happened to me plenty of times. My fishing time has often been limited with having to get back for the kids, you can almost guarantee that the fish switch on when it’s time to pack up.

Silver fan 82

So, Had a session on the local canal yesterday. a bit slow going but a few skimmers and perch etc on the pole but nothing doing on the feeder. As swmbo had arranged for us to visit friends in the evening i had my orders to pack up around 5pm-ish or i would have been in some no little bother.
About half an hour to go so i thought i would chuck the feeder out again while i started to get my gear together. Almost instantly the tip went right round and stayed there. Couple of minutes later a nice bream was in the net. Out went the feeder and again almost instantly pulled round. another bream, this time a cracking 4.5lber, a pb for this venue for me. Yep, you know whats coming next. same again, this time i had barely tightened up after casting before another one. The water was one huge mass of bubbles, with the odd fin breaking the surface across the far bank now. it was a feeding frenzy. In that half an hour i had put 6 fish for almost 16lb in the net and decided that the only way i was not going to get roasted alive was to tip all my bait away to ensure that i resisted the temptation to carry on.
Only once before have i ever been sat on top of a shoal of bream that had suddenly decided it was time to get their heads down and hoover up whatever i put in front of them and that was thirty years ago in Ireland. I have heard of big catches on this stretch but they only come along once in a blue moon, normally a good day would be the odd decent sized bonus fish or two amongst the skimmers and roach etc.
With heavy heart i put the gear away, trudged up the towpath and wended my way home. I am sure that the fish were laughing at the forlorn figure that was departing the party.
why could these fish have not started feeding like that a couple of hours before? Why did it have to be the one day that i could not just stay on for a bit longer. The way these fish were going at it i reckon i would have seriously, and i mean ridiculously seriously, bagged.
There have been many time in the past when i have wished that i could have spent just a bit longer on the bank as have we all, but this was a real killer. That is one big one that she owes me.
Does any one else have a similar tale of woe and what could have been, or is it just me that this happens to?
Happens all the time. Usually just as I've pretty much packed up. Have had Tench rolling right in the swim, carp literally in the margins right where I was sitting. It's as if they are mocking me 😉

Silver fan 82

I've lost count of the number of complaints I've heard about venues from people that fish "office hours". At this time of year, I rarely bother to leave the house until mid afternoon. It's not remotely unusual to catch very little until after tea time. For the perfect storm, the other half of the right time equation is being in the right place.
I an ideal world but sometimes you have to go when you have the opportunity.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Through the warmer months most places I fish tend to fish better in the morning then gradually tail off towards mid afternoon. I often catch say 2/3 of the fish in the first 1/2 of the session. I presume they probably come on again towards the evening but I’m long gone by then. Certainly not always the case though can be consistent action from start to finish or take a while to get going then go really well. Part of what makes it interesting I guess never knowing what you’re going to get but generally speaking I’d rather start a session early such times of year than have a lay in as the latter usually means missing the best spell of fishing. I reckon it’s probably due to the weather generally being kinder early on and there being less commotion about. Doesn’t really explain why some days it’s the opposite though that’s just fishing I guess! As the months start to cool down though I find it less important to start early and by then I tend to start half an hour to an hour later as sometimes you need things to warm up a bit first to get the fish going. Then sometimes drops again as it cools later on. But again it doesn’t always play out that way sometimes the complete opposite.

Just got to make the most of the hours you’re on the bank and hope for the best I guess!

davylad

Site Supporter
I can relate to something similar back in the early 70's. We were fishing the lake at Castle Howard, I was in peg 7 although it wasn't a match, but we had one coming up at the weekend there. I was in between a couple of mates, and was getting battered either side, in fact I hadn't had a bite after balling about a dozen orange size balls with the usual bream stuff, fished 5 or 6 rod lengths out on the waggler. I always find it amazing how you never forget some days, although this turned out to be my first ever weight over the ton. My mates suggested I move to have a bit of sport, but the fish later moved over my grub, and it was a nice bream every cast until I chucked it. Oh aye, I drew at the far end in the match in the deep water, and weighed about 12oz. One of the lads will read this, and remember it well.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Have been at Lakeview fishing in Winter only the odd fish early on and at 4 PM it was like a dinner gong had gone off, one carp after another from the margin. I reckon the carp were not there all day and entered the lake through a secret tunnel to clock on to feed at 4 PM. :D:D

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I an ideal world but sometimes you have to go when you have the opportunity.
Absolutely. life has a nasty way of interfering. However, when you've a fair idea that there is nothing much stopping the complainers staying late, it's irritating to hear them slating perfectly good waters.