Always fishing the same peg

rudd

Site Supporter
Going to have to try fishing ' The Peg' - how do you set up this method?

When lure fishing if no one else about I fish every leg on the lake - at least twice 😉

Robwooly

When I was young I often headed to the 'hotspot' each time, maybe because I needed to as my ability/experience was limited then, now I'm carefree and will fish anywhere, it always makes me laugh seeing two OAPs racing to get to a swim, they really should know better.

If I've done well in a certain swim on a river I wont fish there again for a while, maybe even years, it seems to lose it's mystery to some extent, however on stillwaters I'll often head to the same few spots, usually because they are cosy, out of the way and often full of wildlife, in other words as far away from the car park as possible ;)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I know what you mean about pegs losing their mystery, that's why I do try different pegs to an extent, problem is with some rivers, often there are swathes of it that just aren't worth fishing, especially when targeting Barbel, I call that watercraft, knowing which areas to avoid. 😁 It's sometimes less of an issue on stillwaters, but less so on natural venues. That's the benefit of pleasure fishing, you can use your 'skill' to locate the fish.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
When I go to Holland on 'The Jolly Boys' week, (my B-I-L from England and two ex Army mates), there are a couple of guys, (from England), who arrive on the same dates and go and do there thing. One of them goes to a certain lake and piles pellets in like there's no tomorrow, he then proceedes to catch bream. He goes to the same peg every day for a week and repeats the process and then brags about how many bream he has caught. I suppose different strokes for different folks!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When I go to Holland on 'The Jolly Boys' week, (my B-I-L from England and two ex Army mates), there are a couple of guys, (from England), who arrive on the same dates and go and do there thing. One of them goes to a certain lake and piles pellets in like there's no tomorrow, he then proceedes to catch bream. He goes to the same peg every day for a week and repeats the process and then brags about how many bream he has caught. I suppose different strokes for different folks!
That sounds like me on my Bream holidays saved for piling in the pellets. If I think I know where the fish are, be mad to fish elsewhere? :LOL:

grey

Site Supporter
Revisiting familiar pegs, for me serves two purposes:

• bit of a 'comfort blanket' when I'm exhausted which helps me regroup mentally
• a great place to gauge the success of new techniques, bait and tackle

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I've fished the same peg 4 times on the trot now, first 2 were great, second 2 I blanked, time to move, I knew this last week but stubbornly went back on it even though most other pegs were free. Trouble is everything is starting to get overgrown now making casting difficult on some.
I'll be back up HL on the silvers as soon as there is some water on.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’ll walk past some pegs on the river and fondly reminisce of catches in years gone by. I’d love to fish them again but they don’t exist anymore as they have been reclaimed by nature.
I do have seasonal pegs that I’ll fish the same time each year. Prior to Bream spawning I have two or three pegs that I can take a pick from on my local ressie. When I used to go to Holland there were three or four special pegs on the IJssel that we would visit every time we went.

Last edited:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Have a few members in our club that can always be found on the same pegs on the river or pools.
As soon as they can't fish their "banker" pegs they are forced to fish elsewhere and they catch very little.
They seem unable to work the pegs out and adapt accordingly.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm going to Arley tomorrow. I know @carphauler walks further than me there but to be honest there's a peg there that I like fishing so I'm going to get there early. That's not to say I haven't fished about 5 different pegs on that stretch, I just have a favourite. I'm going to mix it up by doing some float fishing though.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I'm going to Arley tomorrow. I know @carphauler walks further than me there but to be honest there's a peg there that I like fishing so I'm going to get there early. That's not to say I haven't fished about 5 different pegs on that stretch, I just have a favourite. I'm going to mix it up by doing some float fishing though.
Last Sunday there wasn't a soul on the RB, I usually catch when it's like that but alas no.

davylad

Site Supporter
In the bad old days many years ago, when fishing was much harder, I've jumped off the Hull to New Holland ferry, and ran 3/4 mile with basket on my back, and rod holdall, to get one of the flyers at Dick Fairfields or Windmill. I was super fit in those days mind, good job as some days I had to run back to catch the last ferry of the day back home.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ll certainly be fishing a peg I’ve fished before tomorrow as with a day’s holiday taken for the pleasure I don’t want to risk a bust. Torn between 3 pegs one of which I’ve fished about 8 times, another about 6 times and another just 1 time. Was thinking the first of those as it pretty much guarantees a good day but first time out on the third of those last weekend was really good so might give that a second go depending on how I feel walking wise as should have the pick on a week day. It’s not really a peg rich stretch tbh only about a dozen pegs across what is essentially two stretches of which I’ve fished about 3/4 of them and only found 4 to be good. Those I haven’t fished are very cosy shall we say so not very appealing!

booboo

Site Supporter
I often fish the same peg 3-4 times then move on. I like to 'learn' a peg, and also as I mostly fish the pole it's nice to turn up with rigs already the right length for a couple of sessions!