Always fishing the same peg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I try that. Strike on the side of the reeds and they're meant to bolt the other way. Good tip when it works.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Hooked a pike on relatively light feeder tackle the weekend before last that took me into a weed bed so did the old open the bail arm trick and out it came, was quite pleased with myself haha

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I tend to float fish rivers and a deep gravel pit. Conditions are always the prime driver for swim choice. However, I'm not averse to only going when conditions are right for certain swims, or fishing the same spot repeatedly when favourable conditions persist for several days. That's not to say that I don't have favourite places, just like everyone else.

Blindly going to the same spot regardless of any other factor is not usually a good idea, though there are exceptions to the rule. I often force myself to go to different places, or even create entirely new spots for myself.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's a good thing about fishing in Winter for me. It will force me onto different banks. There's a few 'deep' pegs I tried in Summer that didn't produce while I'm sure they'll be hotspots when it gets colder.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Not anymore. I used to when I was younger, I'd always fish the corner pegs because I know I'd always catch well. Now I'm older I like more of a challenge and tend to fish the harder pegs. I won't fish completely trash looking pegs though unless Im forced to in a match. I prefer fishing pegs with tasty looking margins, Lillypads or deep water, Some fisheries I go to have some right barren pegs which I'd never dream of touching.

davylad

Site Supporter
I'd pack it in if I had to fish the same peg all the time. I know quite a few who do mind, and if they're happy to do that fair play to them.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Because I had my favourite pegs on Wellingborough's Millcotton snake lake in 2013 I set myself the target of fishing all 40 pegs. Took me 18 months.

Wrote it up in my blog here if anyone is interested.

The matchman in my says just sit on any peg and make the most of it. To that end I always consult my notebook to see what pegs I have and have not fished recently. Sometimes though if I am in need of a confidence boost I will choose what is to me a good peg, or if on the canal one I know will produce even if breaking ice.

And I also will choose to fish a different rig, method or bait just to force myself to change and seek better ways or improvement.
That takes a lot of self discipline mate. I will often fish the same pegs, it's the same reason as why I always park in the same place at work, we tend to be creatures of habit.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Our old club lake always opened June 1st - or a day or two earlier for those who'd partaken in work parties - and the first day of the season would always see me fish the same peg - and I did that for probably 30 years.
It probably wasn't the best peg on the lake but it was probably the most consistent.
Unless I happened to draw it in a match there was every chance I wouldn't fish it again until opening day the following season.

Simon

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Tend to fish the same swims a lot. I look for margins with features or corners the wind blows into.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I like to mix my fishing up a fair bit, while I don't really do commercials we have access to one on my club ticket and I'll visit there maybe once a month but it will be a different pond or peg, I'll make the hours drive to chard res and if the a different area is free I'll fish there, and then I have 10 miles of river, the river needs some consideration, is it a full gear day which limits where you can practically get to, or a light gear day meaning I can explore, tend to rove when conditions are good and favorable.

Tristar

Site Supporter
I used to when I was younger but once a peg is mastered on my local waters the challenge isn't the same. I choose different pegs every time on the club waters that I belong to. For me it's not just the fishing but the environment and wildlife around me, one side of the lake may give the same views but walk to the other pegs on the far side and that may produce a Kingfisher or two, a Stoat , a Red Kite etc. Just being on the bank is such a privilege and joy to me it's not just about catching but seeing everything around me. Others will disagree but each to their own as I always say.

tee.bee

Site Supporter
ive got favourite pegs on the river but like fishing new pegs only dropping in favourite pegs if im blanking :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Was just thinking if I exclude roving and boat sessions where obviously I fish multiple spots in a day I think I’ve fished 50 odd river sessions in the 2.5 years I’ve been on the forum across 20 odd swims across about 10 stretches of 4 different rivers so I do try quite a few different spots. But when I find good swims I do like to revisit them a lot. There’s a couple pegs I must have fished pushing 10 times each now in those 2.5 years. When fishing time is limited it is nice to guarantee good sessions at least half the times I go. Can’t do too many consecutive sessions on the same peg though about 3 in a row is about as much as I go before I feel a need for a change. I’d say I spend maybe 2/3 of my time on banker pegs and the other 1/3 looking for new banker pegs with about a 50% success rate!

Stillwaters I don’t really care as much though I just pick swims that combine a short walk and being out of the wind as getting the right peg doesn’t seem to be quite as make or break on the lakes I fish compared to rivers.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
On some of our ponds, I do favour certain pegs. Combination of good catching pegs, comfort & glare on the water.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I force myself to try different pegs a bit more these days. I have a natural tendency to think that only “my” peg is any good and I’ll blank anywhere else, which I know is ridiculous, but it used to keep me in the same old routines week after week. I try different pegs and different lakes much more now and guess what, I still catch fish LOL.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Now my rod has gone 'bump' I'm going to be back on the river a lot more over the next month or two. I like this one stretch I've found because it's quiet. There's about 5 or 6 pegs in meadow 2 worth fishing and within walking distance. I have been fishing the peg with overhanging trees but the other pegs further down are on the bend of the river and do look good.

Problem is the peg right on the bend has a big sunken tree that means you have to cast upstream or you will get snagged, then you've got to get fish out. And the other decent peg that has recently been cleared has an overhanging tree that's not been cut back on the near bank, meaning you can only cast upstream. It's a lot more comfortable on the peg I've been fishing a lot but I think the fish will be on the bend if it ever gets some water on.

For some reason, other than the shallow riffles, I always walk past meadow 1. In general though, I'm not that bad at always fishing the same pegs and will move but even on the lakes I fish, there are definitely 'flyer areas' so it makes sense to try and make the most of a pleasure session.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
From time to time, I like to fish the odd 'scruffy' peg, the ones others tend to leave alone for one reason o another. It's more curiosity than anything, just wondering why it doesn't get fished or others tend to slag it off. Had a few good catches from some of them.

davylad

Site Supporter
It makes me laugh a bit when I go on a Tuesday to a club lake I'm a member of. I got all my muckers in, and they're not particularly very good anglers, they just enjoy sitting there in their chairs. They fish the same pegs week in week out, as it's sheltered there. They think I'm crackers when I fish different pegs, sometimes in bad weather. I think I would get bored fishing the same peg too often, it's bad enough fishing the same venue too much for me.