Always catching the same fish

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Is it ethical?

Here;s the story;
I fish a weirpool on the River Stour in Worcestershire near my house, only a small stream but the weirpool holds a decent amount of fish.

I fish it for chub.

IMG_3445.JPG

I've had quite a few Chub from there but I also keep catching this Golden Orfe.

1.JPG
2.jpg
3.JPG
4.JPG

So that's four times I've caught it now. On the second time I caught it I thought it might have been a different fish, so there were two or more of them in there, as the first time I caught it, it has clear upper lip damage.

It makes me question how many of the Chub are recatches. The spot gets fish quite regularly, and if I'm not fishing there, someone else is. The question is, is it right to keep on catching the same fish? Other than being a bit boring in terms of variety. Other people there always seem to talk about seeing it but never catching it. I fish maggot and it loves those. A couple of times I've caught it, it's been spewing up maggots it's gorged itself on, whereas other people fish meat and pellet so don't catch it.

NB. Notice no lip damage in pic two.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve never knowingly caught the same fish more than once but I’m sure I’ve probably done it, got to be a fair chance of it on stillwaters especially I’d have thought. As long as you don’t notice any deterioration in its appearance/health I wouldn’t worry about it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've heard it's Pike that can deteriorate. I'm thinking it should be alright, after all, fish get caught day in day out on a lot of commercials.

TheFarr

as much as I love fishing it always gets me when I see a fish with damage to lips or other parts of the body caused by fishing. I caught a common carp around 4-5lbs the other week and there was a fairly large hook that had gone straight through its skull and was wedged in there. Fortunately I had my trusty pair of forceps that are always in my box to pull it out (wether that was right or wrong I did it anyway). It had been in there for some time as the metal hook had started to deteriorate due to being submerged in water for so long.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah it is sad to see. There's a commercial near me where almost every carp has a pigeon mouth. I don't like fishing it for that reason. Also, on my second ever Barbel session I had a 3lb Barbel with a hook (barbless none none the less) stuck in it's mouth, I thought I'd forgot to unhook it.

This golden orfe always takes it on the drop, no joke.

When I caught it again today I had a bite on the drop and thought, that's suspicious, and it turned out to be him again.

Dusty

Yeah it is sad to see. There's a commercial near me where almost every carp has a pigeon mouth. I don't like fishing it for that reason. Also, on my second ever Barbel session I had a 3lb Barbel with a hook (barbless none none the less) stuck in it's mouth, I thought I'd forgot to unhook it.

This golden orfe always takes it on the drop, no joke.

When I caught it again today I had a bite on the drop and thought, that's suspicious, and it turned out to be him again.

Fished a lake last week and a few of the carp had mouths so damaged that I couldn’t even open them to get the hook out easier, I have no idea how they even feed like this.

I’ve seen the same fish caught a few times on a small river near me, there is a super pool that appears to contain just one solitary barbel.

squimp

Site Supporter
I think many Angler’s would be surprised how many times the same fish get recaptured, even on relatively lightly fished waters.

I can remember fishing for big tench (6 - 7 lb in those days) In the 1980’s and starting to notice recaptures of fish. We were noticing spot patterns and fin abnormalities. The same ID methods work with barbel, chub, bream etc if you have good photos. Carp and pike are obviously much easier to identify.

A friend caught a very big chub last week and it was recognised by ano angler on the stretch. He even told my friend what it would weigh if he caught it in the winter !

If we accept that we do recapture fish, then the moral of the story should be to look after them when we do catch them.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The first time I caughtt it, it was quite exciting. Something a bit different to what you'd usually expect to catch. The second time I thought, never again! The third time I sighed. And then when I caught it again today I had to laugh. Not trolling when I say this is one fish that will never learn! It fights progressively harder everytime I catch it.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Happens a lot more than most anglers realise
I've seen a 20lb+ pike recaught approximately a minute after being returned to the canal it came from - perhaps unsurprisingly it didn't fight much the second time.
Fishing in the margins of a very clear lake in Devon I was able to see what the carp I'd just caught did upon release and the majority headed back to the margin they'd just been caught from and continued feeding.
I definitely caught this ghostie at least twice
Image00025.jpg

And I caught a bream twice in less than 24 hours from the same area of the same swim and the same bait both times.

Pictures half way down the page.

Simon

rudd

Site Supporter
A friend of mine had a bream named bremo (missing a fin) three times in less the an hour and a half from three different spots!
He only caught one fish (technically) that day!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This one probably needs a name. It's colloqiually known as THE GOLDFISH to people not so into fishing.

sjmclean

I subbed on a team match recently and the guy next to me got burst by a big fish, rig elastic and all. At the end of the match someone two sections down was weighting in a tench and when he caught it, it had the boy next to me's full rig and elastic in it's mouth. He caught the fish fair and square in the mouth as well.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
It is accepted that sometimes circumstances dictate where people fish but at what point on a small venue do you stop going there because you know what you are going to catch?
On my local Teme the Barbel stocks have crashed due to various reasons and one of those is over fishing on known pegs,some of which are prime spawning grounds.
The fish were able to cope with it for a while but over time some showed signs of deterioration and now we are at a stage when the better swims are devoid of fish. Not saying this is just down to being over fished for but it certainly didn't help.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I was slightly surprised, although I guess I shouldn't be, how heavily fished the Severn around Bridgnorth/Bewdley is. The banks are always full of a weekend.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Propolis/care kits are advised in the rules on a lot of Carp lakes.