Alternative operating System

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
No mate, check out distros like linux mint or Ubuntu, they are free to download and use. They will run from a USB stick so you can try before you commit to a full install. You can also dual boot with a Windows OS so have both OS on your hard drive and pick which you want. Linux also runs great on older hardware so my 5 year plus old lap top still runs like a much newer machine compared to a Windows OS

Thanks Ian when I have finished my pole rigs I might set aside some time to take a look. I have used Suse Linux any particular reasons you recommended Mint or Ubuntu, apologies for the question bombardment. :)(y)

IanG1

Site Supporter
Thanks Ian when I have finished my pole rigs I might set aside some time to take a look. I have used Suse Linux any particular reasons you recommended Mint or Ubuntu, apologies for the question bombardment. :)(y)
Mint is very windows like in useability and has a large user base and good support. I have used a few different ones over the years but settled on mint. It's a good way to kill time and a great sense of achievement once you bin windows.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Thanks IanG1 I'll take a look all I have to do now is remember how to mount the hard drive. :D

davylad

Site Supporter
I tried Windows 10 when it first came out, and soon binned it. When I installed it on my daughters PC, after they'd sorted most of the problems, it's been very good to be honest. In fact I don't think she's had any issues at all, although she doesn't use it that much as she uses an iPad for most of her interests.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
In W10 I hate the start button so use Open Shell

You could try a linux distro my favourite is Mint - Great for older hardware (Mate)

Great software but a little advanced when it goes wonky ( not often in my limited experience )

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
@pauln

If you install Open-Shell can you uninstall it and go back to the default W10 start menu layout?

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I will open a VM and test

Yes Uninstalled via programs and features
Also at top of start menu you can swap ;P

Last edited:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
@pauln

If you install Open-Shell can you uninstall it and go back to the default W10 start menu layout?
Easiest way would be to have the open source on a flash drive and set the pc to dual boot, that way you can revert if you don't like the open source

willothewisp

willothewisp
I have an old desktop and large monitor in spare room not used/powered up for over a year. Originally on Vista, I think (!) I upgraded to Windows 7 a year or too previously, but in truth can't remember.
Not being a techie, I'm now reluctant to use it lest it incur all sorts of probs, so stick to this Samsung W10 laptop, and a 10" tablet. I do very little on computer now other than mails, check news sites, blogs, occasional word processing and similar very basic stuff.
Any suggestions as to how I could make it useful again?
Thanks

tonerain

Site Supporter
2 problems that I encounter with Windows 10:
1. The curser occasionally freezes. Unfreezes after about 20 seconds
2. The slider bar (up/down) on the right of the screen occasionally disappears. I have to "hover" over where it should be to make it reappear.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the suggestions
I have a spare HDD, so I'll download one of the suggested open source systems onto that and try it out.
BTW, I had Win 10 when it was free and reverted to Win7 after about 3 weeks. If I want Win10 now, do I have to pay for it? :cry:

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Answered my own question.
I seems that I can upgrade to Winn10 for free here

davylad

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the suggestions
I have a spare HDD, so I'll download one of the suggested open source systems onto that and try it out.
BTW, I had Win 10 when it was free and reverted to Win7 after about 3 weeks. If I want Win10 now, do I have to pay for it? :cry:
Well I didn't have to pay SM, I went well over supposed time limit too. I think if you have the genuine W7, you won't have to pay if you install 10 through that. It takes a fair while but it's very easy, just make sure you have enough space.