Alternative Bait Bags

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Been looking at bait bags for my river fishing, bread and meat can be quite bulky baits, not enough room currently especially if I also take other baits.

Want one with a shoulder strap. Korum Transition looks nice and would match the rest of my luggage so mm'ing and arr'ing about that.

Meanwhile also on my mind is an Umbro Sports holdall, only £20 at the most and nice and spacious with a shoulder strap.

Think I'm going to go for the Umbro. (y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's the other option. I have the Korum Roving kit at the moment. The chair and the way it clips on the ruckbag are spot on for me but thinking about changing the quiver to a case (probably Guru) for several reasons, better ready made rod protection and the shoulder strap on it is too short so I have to carry it by hand otherwise it either only goes over one shoulder and slips off or if I have it over my head it starts cutting off the blood. So was after something with a shoulder strap.

Trent_Fisher

I agree about the quiver. I use a 5 rod one currently but thinking of swapping to something that offers more protection.
I have the old Korum Bait and bits bag and there is a load of room. I can fit a fix tackle box and numerous tubs of bait in.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Try contacting these guys, they may be able to make a bespoke one for you.
We have created a 1.3m holdall at Dads n Lads prices ( £25 ) but seriously good value for money. Padded and lined, its a holdall to take 11ft or 12ft, 3-piece rods, a brolly and landing net handle etc. British made luggage supporting British workers. Tight lines all.

Holdall 6.jpg

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
To carry a rod holdall without it slipping off your shoulder, you put it on your shoulder so the top is at the front then bring the arm over the top of the rod holdall so your wrist is over the top. Carrying it this way lifts the shoulder so stopping it slipping off your shoulder.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
To carry a rod holdall without it slipping off your shoulder, you put it on your shoulder so the top is at the front then bring the arm over the top of the rod holdall so your wrist is over the top. Carrying it this way lifts the shoulder so stopping it slipping off your shoulder.
That makes sense cheers. I'm looking to upgrade anyway as my current one only holds two rods and so I'm looking at this.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This arrived today. It's spot on and the shoulder strap is well adjustable. (y)

2021-05-26 16.31.41.jpg

squimp

Site Supporter
Cricket bags are standard issue for me and my travelling fly fishing mates as they fit 4 piece, 9ft rods and enough stuff for a weeks fishing. And they are cheap (sports direct sale) and they don’t say Sage or Orvis on them so they don’t get broken into in airports.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Cricket bags are standard issue for me and my travelling fly fishing mates as they fit 4 piece, 9ft rods and enough stuff for a weeks fishing. And they are cheap (sports direct sale) and they don’t say Sage or Orvis on them so they don’t get broken into in airports.
That's quite a good idea 👍🏻

I've often wondered how you're supposed to transport longer travel rods. I've got some 9 footers but they are 5 piece so go across a normal suitcase but there are loads out there that won't fit a suitcase which a cricket bag would solve. That said I haven't opened my cricket bag since I last played 6 years ago so I dread to think what it's like in there 😅

squimp

Site Supporter
That's quite a good idea 👍🏻

I've often wondered how you're supposed to transport longer travel rods. I've got some 9 footers but they are 5 piece so go across a normal suitcase but there are loads out there that won't fit a suitcase which a cricket bag would solve. That said I haven't opened my cricket bag since I last played 6 years ago so I dread to think what it's like in there 😅
There are a variety of different sized sports bags out there. The trick is to put all your rods (minus tubes) in a suitable sized length of hard plastic tube, measure it carefully and buy a bag to suit. I have 3x different tubes - depending on the rod numbers and lengths and 2 different bags !

Slazenger even do metre long bags that fit 4piece double handed salmon rods.

The days of lugging KIS cases etc are long gone -thanks to the modern airline baggage charges.

Some of the places we have been have 15 kg weight limits (tackle and clothing) - which is quite a challenge for a week of serious fishing. So the first issue is finding a bag that doesn’t weigh 4kg !!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There are a variety of different sized sports bags out there. The trick is to put all your rods (minus tubes) in a suitable sized length of hard plastic tube, measure it carefully and buy a bag to suit. I have 3x different tubes - depending on the rod numbers and lengths and 2 different bags !

Slazenger even do metre long bags that fit 4piece double handed salmon rods.

The days of lugging KIS cases etc are long gone -thanks to the modern airline baggage charges.

Some of the places we have been have 15 kg weight limits (tackle and clothing) - which is quite a challenge for a week of serious fishing. So the first issue is finding a bag that doesn’t weigh 4kg !!
Interesting stuff. We generally just go with each of us having two rods and a little bag with tackle and reels in a suitcase each. Weights not an issue as usually have 20kg plus but it doesn’t leave much room for clothes so staying somewhere with a washing machine and dryer is essential!

squimp

Site Supporter
What’s a washing machine !

we get in the shower fully clothed after flats fishing and then air dry stuff overnight......as long as you don’t have air-con you are fine.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
What’s a washing machine !

we get in the shower fully clothed after flats fishing and then air dry stuff overnight......as long as you don’t have air-con you are fine.
Oh couldn’t be doing that got to have all the mod cons!

nejohn

Site Supporter
Nothing wrong with a Sainsbury's carrier bag it even doubles up as a bag to take all of your rubbish home in at the end of the session ......or even as a waterproof hat in a fetching shade of orange