Alone ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Got to musing, thinking a little bit,

we have had this bug kicking around now for a better part of a six month,

early on I thought to myself after reading advice from them that were in a better posistion to offer it than myself that the idea of hiding away seemed pretty sound, now whilst Ive never really been a gregarious person, seeking company or liking the madding crowd, I didnt mind the occasional meeting up with like minded people or friends

in the past six months though, being as Ive really only spent time either by myself, with the wench or in the company of a black dog, Ive got even more insular, the world now is getting to seem a very strange place,

when I do have contact outside my bubble, people now seem to be loud, either in manner or voice, or what they do, or the way they behave either repels or outstounds me, Im finding it really hard to wrap my head around some of their actions or manners

dont get me wrong, as plenty I do meet in the course of a day, are polite enough, and well mannered, but a hell of a lot aint or just dont seem to care

wether its the following of the medical advice re the bug, distancing, masks etc, or just the pace they go at, things seem weird,

I dont know if Im noticing thier foibles far more now, or its that Ive become far more of a watcher on the sides, seeming to be outside the normality of daily life

its small things, the closeness of the car behind me, someone in far too much of a hurry for the things they are doing, the aggresiveness over such lightly taken actions by others, the not caring about the environment with rubbish being left on the streets, in parks and the countryside, supermarket and shop manners, theres untold, that make me wonder

Its not as if Im perfect, being as I have many faults, it just seems that we are either going to hell in a hand cart, or as a society, begun to believe things that we either shouldnt or should check out far more before performing the actions that are now commonplace

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
You’re pretty much echoing my thoughts over a number of years there, Mick. I’ve been ‘self isolating’ for the last ten years. Basically, the last time I came out of hospital I was in a wheelchair and had been told that I’d never walk again. That was one of those ‘red rag to a bull’ moments and after considerable effort I’ve dumped the wheelchair for most of the time and wobble about on a pair of crutches. The fact that I’m now ‘disabled’ had a self isolating effect on me. I don’t drink therefore don’t frequent pubs, the dog walking had to stop and even fishing halted for a while. All that left me sidelined by the ‘real’ world and in the perfect position to become an invisible observer, it’s odd but people just don’t notice another person in a wheelchair, on crutches or on a mobility scooter, unless of course they fall over them and then it’s the fault of ‘that bloody cripple’!

I’m 70 and certainly old enough to bore everyone with the inevitable, “when I was a kid...” tales much beloved by anyone under the age of 40, but, you’re right, Mick, standards have changed. Deeds and actions that would’ve been unthinkable a few years ago (when I was a kid...) are now commonplace, simple good manners are now a thing of the past, everything now seems to have the me, me, me, attitude. Things like rubbish, fly tipping, etc, just amplifies the general attitude! There are, of course, exceptions. Anglers, proper anglers, not the ones that use fishing as an excuse for a barbie and a pi$$ up, those involved in any country sports for that matter, see the world differently to the general herd. I’m probably not alone in taking a last look at the peg I’ve just left to make sure there’s nothing left to indicate that anybody’s been there.

I don’t like the world I live in at the moment and I’m glad that the little bit of the world that I live in, for the most part, ignores me! Right, moan over, must be time for my happy pills :):):)

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Spot on Mick. I have also retreated into my comfort zone and have no great desire to pull myself out of it.
You couldn't pay me these days, to go to the sorts of pubs I used to love and hang around with the sorts of people that I used to hang around with. Happy with my wife, Daughter and animals these days.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
One thing proper rankled with me yesterday

I was driving home from a clubbie on the canal, and got to the traffic light regulated junction at the green in hythe,

waited for the green light and pulled into the lane to turn right, about 50 yards up, just before another set of lights for the right turn only, theres a zebra crossing with a set of on demand lights (belisha ?)

there was a mother with a pram and a couple of kids that had just started crossing as these had turned to flashing yellow, she looked hot and bothered as did the nippers and she was having a time of it keeping the littluns close

I slowed and stopped, letting her go over even though by then the demand lights had turned green, she was still not quite over, as any normal person would of done

the utter knobhead behind me, started blowing his horn as I hadnt moved forward,

ended up flicking the bird out the window at him, and going around the one way system at between 5 and 10 mile an hour slower than the limit, I could see in the mirrors he was damn near blowing a gasket

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The one thing I have found is the pace of life has slowed right down, consumerism is taking a more leisurely pace, and more people are chilled out. However because of that the richard heads seem to be rising to the surface :)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The one thing I have found is the pace of life has slowed right down, consumerism is taking a more leisurely pace, and more people are chilled out. However because of that the richard heads seem to be rising to the surface :)
Yeah, and why is everyone driving so fast ?

rudd

Site Supporter
If an alien studied Earth then went home and had to summarise plant Earth in one word:

Purgatory.

Its the most beautiful planet in the universe with thousands of species beautiful animals that live in a balanced harmony in both salt and oasis, its as close to heaven as you Will get.

But a species of parasites live there, a species so parasitic they have not only destroyed the plant and preyed on the other species, they have turned cannibalistic preying on their own kind.

I suspect Darwins Theory may be coming into play - survival of the fittest.
The human psychology has already changed due to this virus.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Interesting observations Mick - whilst I am very much a ‘people person’ I have found the last 6 months have done wonders for me.

Stress levels are way down, I actually enjoyed the supermarket distancing and one-way systems as there were less pushy/shovey people about, getting in a lot more nature time that used to be filled by running around visiting or shopping or errands, etc

Maybe selfish but the longer this goes on the happier and more relaxed I am.

Karl

nejohn

Site Supporter
My thoughts exactly, I think I quite liked lock down nowhere was busy if you needed to go anywhere most services were appointment only so no waiting (I had to change a tyre, made my appointment, turned up at the said time, straight into fitting bay with my pre chosen tyre waiting fitted straight away, in and out in 10 mins) I went down to Boots in the town centre on Saturday to pick up a prescription and came home empty handed as I didn't like the crowds, I didn't feel intimidated or vulnerable I just didn't like having so many people around me. I for one will certainly looking at how I lead my if and when things get back to 'normal'

grey

Site Supporter
I can't imagine how rubbish anybody's life must have been for them to prefer this pandemic affected alternative.

Am I coping with it? Yes, just about.

Am I enjoying it? No, certainly not: the restrictions, controls, confinement, emergency laws enforced by the public, public paranoia, accusations, conspiracy theories, selfishness, lack of empathy - it all weighs heavy on me.

What really annoys me is those who pretend they're actually enjoying it! You know the ones I mean, the self proclaimed 'influencers' who spout out their middle-class BS on how to be positive in a crisis... it's surprising how angry these people suddenly become when confronted with any form of negativity "no, you're not allowed to be mentally affected by this, pull-your-socks-up! Now allow yourself to be dragged along in the glory of my positive wake, perhaps we can learn Spanish and origami together" I wish they'd all just get on their pedalo and fold off.

To deal with Covid, the emphasis is clearly on the nation's physical health, but for many suffering mental health issues, the cure has had a far greater impact than the disease.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I'll admit that I enjoyed lockdown. Admittedly the first few weeks I was climbing the walls a bit. However I hadn't had a day off for 5 years so it was a bit of a welcome relief for me. Especially when they announced you could go fishing.
I also did tons of DIY which kept her indoors happy. Never normally get the time.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Once fishing was allowed again, I soon came to realize that my life was largely unchanged. The only significant challenge I had was that my usual busy work period in early spring simply didn't happen. Happily, I've largely made up the shortfall in the last eight weeks. I'm hardly gregarious, but I didn't quite appreciate quite how insular I'd become over recent years. Now that my work has dried up, as it always does at this time of year, I'm back to fishing, sleeping, and the occasional bout of lounging around when I can't be bothered, or the weather is against me. Provided I avoid the daily dose of misery that is the news, my life is just fine. There are some minor inconveniences, but nothing to get upset about. It's largely been like a long detachment to a Falklands mountain site with more fishing, a decent bed, no work and nobody to get on your wick.
I can understand why the whole situation might get to many folks, but I'm really not one of them.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Suits me, we moved to Wales to get away from the rat race. I'm quite happy doing my own thing, talk to the neighbours occasionally if they're passing. Always go shopping once a week in the evening when it's quiet so nothing much has changed for us.

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
As I said earlier, I’ve been self isolating for ten or more years. The lockdown didn’t make any difference to my day to day existence. My wife and I, and a terrier, live together. My wife was dragged back into nursing and I didn’t see her for much of lockdown which was a normal state of affairs as she works in a local care home anyway. Shopping came via my daughter. My only regular company is my dog, which suits me fine. The only difference the lockdown made to me was to make me realise how little difference it had made and that I really was a miserable old dratsab!

Silver fan 82

One thing proper rankled with me yesterday

I was driving home from a clubbie on the canal, and got to the traffic light regulated junction at the green in hythe,

waited for the green light and pulled into the lane to turn right, about 50 yards up, just before another set of lights for the right turn only, theres a zebra crossing with a set of on demand lights (belisha ?)

there was a mother with a pram and a couple of kids that had just started crossing as these had turned to flashing yellow, she looked hot and bothered as did the nippers and she was having a time of it keeping the littluns close

I slowed and stopped, letting her go over even though by then the demand lights had turned green, she was still not quite over, as any normal person would of done

the utter knobhead behind me, started blowing his horn as I hadnt moved forward,

ended up flicking the bird out the window at him, and going around the one way system at between 5 and 10 mile an hour slower than the limit, I could see in the mirrors he was damn near blowing a gasket
That sort of thing gets my goat Mick. The majority of people are always in such a rush. It seems they need to be wherever they are going yesterday.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I'm better now that I can go fishing... when I couldn't I was a right old grimmit... her indoors said the difference in me once I got out was very noticeable... a walk just doesn't cut it

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The proper lockdown we had for those first 6 weeks was plain horrible. Was just existing rather than living more wasting life admittedly justifiably for all the right reasons but it was full on depressing plus what going out you could do was pretty intimidating given how rife the virus was was so not enjoyable anyway. Then when it lifted a bit in May and we could go fishing and see the odd other person it was bearable but it still felt a bit dodgy being out and about given how the virus was at the time and you couldn’t really do the things you’d normally do.

The last 6 weeks or so though have I will unashamedly admit been some of the best of my life. Being able to live out every day of summer with family and friends whilst doing all the things (responsibly with a little added caution of course) I normally like to do like go fishing, watch sport, go pubs (garden only wouldn’t get me in one yet!) and not feel unsafe given the drop in the virus (now not looking like it’ll be great again a couple months down the line admittedly) has a been a wonderful opportunity that I’ve enjoyed almost every minute of and will treasure for the rest of my days as it won’t occur again until retirement. Obviously I wish it hadn’t happened given the circumstances and I’m not sure we should have quite been afforded the level of freedom we’ve had recently (rising cases suggest so as well) but I’m not one to look a gift horse in the mouth so I have and will continue to make the most of the time I have to enjoy the wonders of the British summer time with my friends and family as when I get this much time again not all of them will still be with us. Plus all to soon I will either be back stuck behind a desk or worse stuck at home again in naff weather when the virus rises up again so I intend to continue to make the most of the temporary freedom as long as I can.

John Step

Site Supporter
I suppose ones attitude depends on what sort of place a person lives. I fortunately by choice live in a small rural town with little infection and now we can go fishing little is different.
Living in a big city must be very trying.