Almost disabled!

Warden

Site Supporter
Things change over time, it is not a case of to young as such, its the time your replacement Knee will last if you only had a life expectancy of say 10 years you could have one at any age (provided you needed one) each subsequent replacement gives a worse result I had my right knee replacement at 56? was told it had a life expectancy of 10-15 years well 16 years on and its still going strong if I can get another 5 years out of it my next one should see me out lol.my left Knee 5 years after, I look at it as maybe 10 years of mobility then 6 months of pain,repeating itself.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Geoff

Our car tax is only £30 per year, The wife has a blue badge but we didn't bother to claim the road tax (y)

John :)
As I said you can only claim for free road tax if you have full motability at £58 approx a week. My wife has a blue badge with lower rate of motability and we have to pay road tax.

johnny7

As I said you can only claim for free road tax if you have full motability at £58 approx a week. My wife has a blue badge with lower rate of motability and we have to pay road tax.

The wife is badly agoraphobic, They gave her the top whack so we could have had the tax free, We didn't bother, Just wanted a blue badge for her so I could take her places without having to walk too far as she freezes and can't get her legs to move, It happened in the middle of a crossing a while ago, Lights turned red and I struggled to get her off the road!.. (y)

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Nothing stopping you applying for a badge. But with asthma and walking problems you should be a shoe in for one.
Don't you believe it Neil,they took mine off me after a laughable assesment,I'm fitted with an internal defibrillator and have steroid injections in both knees,they seem quite happy to give them out now to people with mental ailments.

carp dundee

Only if you get the full rate of motability allowance, a blue badge on its own does not guarantee free road tax.
Hi Geoff, if you get the standard rate PIP for mobility you can still get a 50% discount on your car tax but you have to apply every year to DVLA, well worth it if you have a bigger diesel car or suv.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Geoff, i am sure you get reduced rate road tax, if not getting full mobility allowance

Method Man

I’ve had both ankles fused with pins and metal rods due to chronic arthritis and was awarded my blue badge but I had to appeal every council differs, and I can confirm you do not get free road tax just on that basis. ?

Reelmaker

Does anybody fish the Cam ,are there any platforms on the river ,I struggle with the bank so I need to be safe when sitting down.Reelmaker

commieboy257

you want this one mate, you can park behind peg on the first two ponds. they have a cafe and some usable but spider heavy bogs.
if you fish the pole fish the second pond as you'll get nothing on the rod.
if you fish rod try the first and be aware it has some lumps!
Barlow Country Club

johnny7

you want this one mate, you can park behind peg on the first two ponds. they have a cafe and some usable but spider heavy bogs.
if you fish the pole fish the second pond as you'll get nothing on the rod.
if you fish rod try the first and be aware it has some lumps!
Barlow Country Club
My lad an me fished Barlow a couple of times!

I had a 17lb carp out, Another time my lad had three grass carp, The biggest was 10lbs, He struggled like crazy as he broke his hand years ago and it was swelling up badly!, Each time it surfaced, Off it sped again!! Finally got it in to the net though!!

I finished work forever late last year, After a brush with covid in the early part of 2020 my breathing has been left in a shocking state, I struggle now just to get up stairs!

I plan on doing a lot of fishing (Fine weather only though!) this year and am looking forwards to going through my tackle to see if any of it is still useable!!

John (y):cool::cool:

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I may apply for one!

I've worked in a heavy foundry for 40 years and tried for an industrial asthma pension, The doc that examined me had a thick Russian accent, Apparently she thought that 40 years of breathing Silica dust, Chrome dust along with sulphur and hydrogen don't give you asthma, I got it naturally!! (y) That's without the diesel exhaust fumes too that hang in the air!

Cheers, John :)
Go for it. I've now renewed my badge for the 5th time in succession. The criteria for issuing badges has changed in recent years. Mine originally was issued under the old DLA system with the higher rate of mobility component. Thanks to Ian Duncan Smith I had to go through a reassessment under the PIP scheme, which I took to a tribunal and had the DWP assessment set aside. Could be worth a shot. Also, your GP can help with a BB application. Better still get some advice from your local CAB folks. Your local council will forward a BB application form to you on request. Breathing difficulties (which I too have and use inhalers for) affect mobility, and there are criteria under the PIP scheme which may result in a little more than a badge for you if your mobility is affected by it

Another useful source of help is the British Lung Foundation (maybe you are already linked to that?)

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Have had a blue badge over 12 years now and just renewed ,started with Essex council then east Hampshire when l moved.
I've never had pip in my life. I got mine due to injuries recieved at work.

johnny7

I thought a blue badge would be issued just if the recipient was on some kind of benefits?, The wife is on pip but i'm not, Just packed in work due to my bad breathing and joints but I don't think i'll be able to get a badge!

A Nurse phoned a few days ago about my Asthma and COPD, She asked about the two heart attacks that i'd had!, I said, If i've had two heart attacks then no one told me!, She insisted that was taken in to hospital twice with a heart attack!, I've never been taken in to hospital but went in for tests, They thought I had angina but the CT scan said otherwise, Still have to take the meds though! :rolleyes3:

John (y)

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Have had a blue badge over 12 years now and just renewed ,started with Essex council then east Hampshire when l moved.
I've never had pip in my life. I got mine due to injuries recieved at work.
Have had mine for about 14 years now. Got it after 2 MI's several cardiology procedures, sight loss and impaired vision and some old football injuries which made my knee dislocate on average 3 times a day(inoperable)

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I thought a blue badge would be issued just if the recipient was on some kind of benefits?, The wife is on pip but i'm not, Just packed in work due to my bad breathing and joints but I don't think i'll be able to get a badge!

A Nurse phoned a few days ago about my Asthma and COPD, She asked about the two heart attacks that i'd had!, I said, If i've had two heart attacks then no one told me!, She insisted that was taken in to hospital twice with a heart attack!, I've never been taken in to hospital but went in for tests, They thought I had angina but the CT scan said otherwise, Still have to take the meds though! :rolleyes3:

John (y)
I don't get why the hospital would inform you that you have had heart episodes if you haven't. That sort of thing adds up in any assessment. Might be worthwhile trying to pursue that. I don't remember anything about my Mi's at all but I do have some nice pictures taken by the cardio folks that show the damage done, what is still working and how well, what surgery did, and a slip of paper that says "Don't buy any LPs!";). My favourite cardio guy (now retired) told me that he had added 10 years to my life after an op at St Thomas' Hospital Westminster. That op was in 2003!:D

johnny7

I don't get why the hospital would inform you that you have had heart episodes if you haven't. That sort of thing adds up in any assessment. Might be worthwhile trying to pursue that. I don't remember anything about my Mi's at all but I do have some nice pictures taken by the cardio folks that show the damage done, what is still working and how well, what surgery did, and a slip of paper that says "Don't buy any LPs!";). My favourite cardio guy (now retired) told me that he had added 10 years to my life after an op at St Thomas' Hospital Westminster. That op was in 2003!:D
I asked if they could have mixed me up with my cousin who has had two heart attacks and was taken in to hospital but she said they wouldn't have mixed the hospital numbers up!!, I've definitely never been conveyed to hospital in any form of emergency since I was fifteen when my hand went through a bathroom window whilst fighting wiith my brother!, Blood squirted right across the room and hit the ceiling! My legs went wobbly!! :oops:

John..

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I asked if they could have mixed me up with my cousin who has had two heart attacks and was taken in to hospital but she said they wouldn't have mixed the hospital numbers up!!, I've definitely never been conveyed to hospital in any form of emergency since I was fifteen when my hand went through a bathroom window whilst fighting wiith my brother!, Blood squirted right across the room and hit the ceiling! My legs went wobbly!! :oops:

John..
If your wife gets pip, you should be able to get a badge, does she get mobility part of pip included.?
If you get a badge for her, you can only use it if she is in the car.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I have had one for around 10 years, I am on automatic renewal, no need to go for assessment every few years.

johnny7

If your wife gets pip, you should be able to get a badge, does she get mobility part of pip included.?
If you get a badge for her, you can only use it if she is in the car.
She has a badge that we use when I have to take her to the docs so that she doesn't have tpo walk far as her limbs freeze and I almost have to drag her!!

I don't think she's been out a dozen times in the last ten years!!

John..