Almost disabled!

johnny7

Hi all

I'm 61 years old and recently had my second knee replacement!, I've not actually been fishing in years as last time I went, I really struggled to carry my tackle back to the car (I've trouble with my ankles and hips too!), My lad ended up carrying his tackle and half of my tackle too, If he hadn't been there I would have had to leave my gear in the field halfway between my car and the bankside as I definitely wouldn't have made it back to the car!!

I'm not actually registered as disabled but just really struggle with walking, I'm asthmatic too so end up almost passing out due to oxygen deprivation :(

Can anyone tell of any places where the car can be parked at the bankside around Sheffield/Chesterfield?, I've been told that Treeton Dyke is one such place but in summer speedboats are darting around the watert!! :thinking:

Cheers, John :upthumb:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Hi John

As you are trying to find a water then try posting this on the Fishing Talk section
Seems to be a fair few from that area and there will be more chance they will pick it up

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
While not everyone's cup of tea most or many commercials will have disabled accessible pegs where cars can be parked close by if not adjacent.

There may also be club waters with disabled pegs.

I assume you have a blue badge.

johnny7

While not everyone's cup of tea most or many commercials will have disabled accessible pegs where cars can be parked close by if not adjacent.

There may also be club waters with disabled pegs.

I assume you have a blue badge.

Afraid not Neil, That's why I titled the thread as 'Almost disabled'!

I still work at a foundry but it's getting harder, I've been off for four months with the latest knee replacement, Trouble is that the one I had done five years ago is starting to play up again!

I can recall fishing a spot on the canal at Attercliffe in Sheff where I could park up next to the towpath, I'm pretty sure it's been netted so much by the locals that all the decent fish will have gone now, Some years ago I stopped three lads from netting it in broad daylight, They buggered off and left the net so I took it home and chopped it up then put it in the bin!!

John..

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Nothing stopping you applying for a badge. But with asthma and walking problems you should be a shoe in for one.

johnny7

Nothing stopping you applying for a badge. But with asthma and walking problems you should be a shoe in for one.

I may apply for one!

I've worked in a heavy foundry for 40 years and tried for an industrial asthma pension, The doc that examined me had a thick Russian accent, Apparently she thought that 40 years of breathing Silica dust, Chrome dust along with sulphur and hydrogen don't give you asthma, I got it naturally!! (y) That's without the diesel exhaust fumes too that hang in the air!

Cheers, John :)

Warden

Site Supporter
Newbiggin J35A M1 you can park very close to the pegs, Aston you can park at the back of most though you have to go down slope to water (not a problem)Westwood has 4 pegs that are close(ish) to water from car park as someone said there are plenty of commie's where you can get close to pegs though a lot are water-logged at the moment,

johnny7

Newbiggin J35A M1 you can park very close to the pegs, Aston you can park at the back of most though you have to go down slope to water (not a problem)Westwood has 4 pegs that are close(ish) to water from car park as someone said there are plenty of commie's where you can get close to pegs though a lot are water-logged at the moment,

Hi Warden, I never thought about Aston Ponds!

I've worked at Forgemasters for 40 years, Was a member for most of the time we had the fishing rights!!

Cheers, John :upthumb:

Warden

Site Supporter
Got the T shirt john Had both mine done takes a while to get back to normal mobility but plenty around just try and find some with good solid flat pegs,

DFL

Site Supporter
The criteria for blue badge entitlement has recently changed....apply!

johnny7

The criteria for blue badge entitlement has recently changed....apply!

Cheers, I'll try, Come to think of it I never tried for a blue badge, It was a pension for industrial asthma I tried for!!

I'll give it a go!!

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
If you get the. Blue badge, you’ll also qualify for free road tax!

johnny7

Only if you get the full rate of motability allowance, a blue badge on its own does not guarantee free road tax.

Hi Geoff

Our car tax is only £30 per year, The wife has a blue badge but we didn't bother to claim the road tax (y)

John :)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I got told I was too young for a total knee replacement... I'm 61... how old do you have to be...???? 6 knee arthoscopies down the line :mad:

ae111sr

Site Supporter
I was lucky that the Welsh Health Service gave me a full right knee replacement in 2006 at age 54 and a full left knee replacement in 2008 at 56. Before these It was very painful to walk and used to go to work on sticks and crutches and was using lots of big painkillers. Had to give up fishing for many years but I've had a completely new lease of life since the replacements. :cool:.