all those bubbles and no bites!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

Am i doing anything wrong here,
basically when i got to my swim a chucked a few pellets in and a few maggots then setup on waggler fishing about 6 inch over depth (if thats correct), on a size 16 hook with a pellet on or a few maggots on the hook,
about an hour later there was bubbles everywhere all around my float coming up.

Now this is fish feeding off my bait i chucked in earlier so why the hell don't they take my hook bait, am i doing something wrong?
All i caught in 5 hour session was a Bream about half pound.
Oh and i was fishing a pond about 5ft deep.

Any advice please.

Edited by - Darren on 25 August 2002 1:28:12 PM

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Dont take this the wrong way please. But when you say you chucked in pellets and maggots at the start is this all you did or did you put any more bait in? If thats all you did then as soon as the bait was cleared up the fish went on there way else where. Feeding is difficult to explain but after putting in pellets and maggots at the start you need to keep feeding little and often is the guide line. For example 6 pellets and 15/20 maggots every say 10 mins. If fish start to be caught then step up the feed same amount but every 5 mins. If the bites dry up then slow down the feed rate keep to every 10mins but reduce the amount of pellets and maggots fed.
It also pays off to feed 2 seperate and distinct areas ie at 1 rod length and at two rod lengths out or on the same line but at either side of the peg. Fish these alternatively after a fish is caught to allow the swim to settle Dont forget to feed both. You can also experiment with the amount and timing of each feed. If there seems to be a large number of fish in front of you then feeding every cast may be required. I hope I have covered and explained it ok. If not then others will fill in any gaps I have left.

chill out go fishing

MALC

Darren,

There are 2 lines of thought regards Bubbleing fish and no bite.

First line of thought is that the fish get preocupied with the loose feed on the bottom (normaly more so when Micro Pellets are fed) and they are digging into the silt bottom to root out the pellets (normally a sign of over feeding).

Second line of thought is that a lot of the bubbleing is caused by the fish either skimming the bottom (releasing gases) or whilst swimming off bottom the bubbles are caused by the water passing through their gills.

The bubbles from fish rooting on the bottom are normally quite big bubbles where as the one's caused by the fish off bottom are normally a lot smaller.

When it happens again try shallowing up and you should find the depth that the fish are happy to feed at.

At this time of the year with the water temp being high you will find that most fish will come off the bottom rather than feed on bottom (and this is where as John has said) feed little and often will bring bigger rewards.

Hope that helps a bit.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Darren

Thank's for the advice guys ;)
i may try not to feed to much and try fishing just off bottom.

scouse

'River Man'
hi darren
here is a thought,
if your getting bubbles in your swim
just think if the fish are rooting in the silt
and you put your bait on the top they wont find your bait,
why not try putting a shot by the hook
so your bait goes though the silt, and as the fish are sifting through the silt they will find your bait
just a thought

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Malc gotta disagree with you re size of bubbles m8. One pool I fish the way to go is start with a big feeder casting regularly till the water starts to fizz literaly. Change to a bomb (less disturbence) and wait for those tench to find the bait. When I say those bubbles are small I mean small. Strangely neither the carp or bream seem to produce bubbles when feeding over the same areas.

chill out go fishing

darryl

darren i take it you fished bestwood duck ponds as i have said before their is loads of natural bait blood worm by the bucket load and crayfish the pond also has 2 foot of silt the best way to fish is singel hook bait forget about feeding till you get bites then no more then 6 maggots every fish. you would be better off going to strelly that is a sure bet for carp to 10lb,bream 4lb tench 4lb and big roach when you get there see trev the notts aa baliff and he will put you right

Stu Dav

Davi
Darren

You may well find that these bubbles are made by a few wary bream of varying sizes and possibly small tench looking for tiny natural baits and totaly ignoring your hookbait.
I have found the only way to temp these fish is to fish very lite with a small bait, say single maggot or caster or smaller if you have it, just touching bottom
Oh yeah and when you get tuned in and hook a few, the carp move in and smash you all over.

Oh I love fishin don't you !

All the best and good luck

Stu Dav :)

MALC

LOL Esox thats what i like about fishing.

No 2 waters, Fish or Days are ever the same.

Every day on every trip we learn something new and thats the enjoyment.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Stu Dav

Davi
Malc
You've hit the nail on the head there mate.

I couldn't agree more,

The Angler who swaps and changes with different tactics will have the best and most interesting day.

All the best

Stu Dav

Status
Not open for further replies.