All the chefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
I do all the cooking in the house. Linda has many admirable qualities but cooking is definitely not one of them. She is to cooking what Dame Edna Everage is to speed dating.
I roar laughing if Linda ever gives a plate to Saffron, Saff looks at it with acute suspicion and slowly dawning horror before she even contemplates taking charge of it.
Anyway I digress. I know a lot of the lads on here do the cooking and I wondered what your favourite bit of kit is in the kitchen? I would have to say that mine is a large slow cooker I bought off Ebay a few months ago.
I find it particularly useful on fishing days when I just pile it all in at 6.30 in the morning before I go, switch it on and theres a lush lamb casserole waiting or a very tender beef curry for when I get home. Sweet and sour chicken for tonight and how simple it is.
The other thing is the little oven timer that Saff bought for me. I dont burn anything anymore.
God I am becoming some sort of anorack here [:D][:D] I even bake cakes.[:I][:I]
I was in the army, Im a trained killer,, wott appened[?][?]

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
My top piece of kit, bearing in mind that I prefer sweet cookery (cakes, pastries etc.)
as opposed to proper meals, would have to be my sugar thermometer. Couldn't do caramel or
fudge without one!....Mmmm.......Caramel....[:)]

Also, I have no idea what it is, but I had a cake recipe that called for a "moule a manqu tin"

WTF is a Mole & Monkey Tin ??? [;)][:D]

Last edited:

crankfrank

Locked Account
My Global chef knife, mandolin slicer and potato ricer invaluable. Speaking of saffron I have 1/2oz of deep red stuff I got brought back from spain, would cost a good few quid here last time I got some from sainsburrys it was about 2 for 0.4g. Think the half oz was about 10 in spain

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Mole and Monkey????? If I come to your place one day mate can we stick to the chippy???[:D]
Frank for Gods sake dont mention ounces and half ounces for a tenner round here mate. God knows were it will go. You will be a Columbian dealer and warlord before 5.00 o clock [;)][:D]

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Its just a French cake tin with scalloped edges. Go and get some paper cake cases instead.

Last edited:

fishhead

toon barmy
I got a pasta machine a couple of months ago and fresh pasta tastes much better than the dried stuff. My favourite is lasagne. Plus you can make your own ravioli with any filling you fancy!

Simon R

Site Supporter
George Foreman grill thingy

Chops, steaks, sossies, burgers, bacon I do 'em all in it - loads quicker than grilling them (and you don't need to keep turning them over) and far healthier than frying.

Non-stick coating has come a bit unstuck though, so I think a new one could be necessary shortly.

Simon

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Pestle & mortar for grinding my own freshly toasted spices,

and a quality saute pan for duck breast, beef strog etc.

Don't know if the flambed brandy does anything for the taste, I just love messing with fire ! [:)]

shootinfishin

Better than slappy
My Rolling pin my dad machined out of Stainless steel for me (sentimental reasons)

My big stock and soup pot is a close second![:D]

Jen

Made in Yorkshire
I've got a very old alluminium steamer that was my nans, its great for steaming veggies in. [:)]

gordo

ive got 2 fridges one for the food and the other for my beer and maggots.[:)]

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Bottle opener....if she's not watching open bottle, pour half into stew, casserole thing she is making to kill taste and drink other half. If she is watching, eat stew, casserole thing, open bottle and drink all contents to help forget experience.

vwt4

I would say a slow cooker also blokey, but it don't seem to do the carrots and potato in enough, they still hard,but I use mine mainly for braising beef in water and bovril with shallots,getting the slabs of beef out before it breaks is dodgy but lushious.

RedNeckAngling

9ft is too long
An old old old (50yrs +) Cast Iron Skillet (frying pan to you) that was the wifes Gran's and my old faithful Wok, which is good for pretty much anything.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
quote:Originally posted by vwt4

I would say a slow cooker also blokey, but it don't seem to do the carrots and potato in enough, they still hard,but I use mine mainly for braising beef in water and bovril with shallots,getting the slabs of beef out before it breaks is dodgy but lushious.

Parboil your veg first mate, then add them and their water to the meat, with a bit of stock and wine. Keeps all the flavour. Mmm. [:)]

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
VWT4 as Pleasurenut says parboil carrots/spuds, or dice them small and fry them in some hot olive oil till they,re soft, before chucking them in slow cooker.

vwt4

thanks will do,roots always come out like rocks dont know why
liver and onion nice as well, the thing i like with slow cooker is the nice smell you come home to with no work involved

Don

My Wok and my set of Sabatier chefs knives. To be honest theres loads of other stuff as well as I am an avid cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.