All Fishing Knowledge ?????

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Percieved, or Proven ?

Do we ever really Know what goes on underwater ?

Is it just Best Guesswork ?

Or is it Aquired Knowledge ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think both too. The proven part comes with watching fish habits and how they react and approach feed and hook bait while recording and studying underwater footage using camera's such as Go-Pro's etc.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
A lot of fishing lore is built on repeated experience seen by different anglers and thus valid, but there are an awful lot of things that are just taken as fact and repeated to the point of being gospel.

Separating the two is difficult.

On my day with Bob Nudd I mentioned hooking an expander the "right" way. His opinion was that was rubbish, there is no right way. his words "Its just something someone said once and now is taken as fact".

I have just as much success with wrongly hooked expanders as those hooked the accepted correct way.

Margins only fish in the last hour is another myth I disprove regularly.

Robwooly

I don't know about you guys but I love learning a new water or re-learning an old one, find it so rewarding to get success off the back of it, mind you they still come back and bite you sometimes. That's the wonder, you can never learn any water completely, but in learning a lot you gain so much knowledge. There's something primeval about knowing what fish are where and turning up and tailoring you approach to these areas, it can really offset any flaws in your technique and the limitations of your skill and gear.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
A lot of fishing lore is built on repeated experience seen by different anglers and thus valid, but there are an awful lot of things that are just taken as fact and repeated to the point of being gospel.

Separating the two is difficult.

On my day with Bob Nudd I mentioned hooking an expander the "right" way. His opinion was that was rubbish, there is no right way. his words "Its just something someone said once and now is taken as fact".

I have just as much success with wrongly hooked expanders as those hooked the accepted correct way.

Margins only fish in the last hour is another myth I disprove regularly.
I've always been sceptical of the 'margin last hour' rule. We have no problems with fishing the margins of an island right from the whistle.

rudd

Site Supporter
I have 100% knowledge of fish behaviour.
Can go to any venue in the land and pick the worst peg at venue.
Then pick a method that doesn't work with a bait thats blown.
Of course, this results in my speciality 'Blank'.
I dont even take the scales anymore! 😕

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
A lot in fishing is changeable I reckon. Can learn where the snags are but that can change. Can fish on a 'weed free' year and fish will be in different spots. I had a lot of plain luck last year fishing new venues with no prior knowledge of them, takes a few bad days this year to learn as much from not catching and why I got so lucky first time round...

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Think a lot of success is down to knowing the habits of your quarry.
'I don't catch them, they catch themselves' (The Poachers Tale).

Translating that to say someone who is at the top of their game, they are always talking about what the fish are doing and thus what they do in response. When for example Jamie Hughes talks about where the fish are entering his swim from and how he acts accordingly in his tactics, i just take my hat off to him. Such knowledge can only come from several examples of the same thing happening.

The knowledge would be the knowing (where they are) the skill is in being able to exploit it and use that knowledge.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
We can never know for sure because of the constant changes within the aquatic environment. It is more down to anglers acquired intuition from experience rather than acquired factual knowledge. IMO