Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Image may contain: 1 person, sitting, outdoor and nature
No photo description available.
No photo description available.
Drennan International

Alan Scotthorne – Coronavirus shut down

It’s a great shame that due to the current situation surrounding COVID 19 we are on lock down which has forced fisheries to temporarily close. This is very disappointing as the fish have just started to wake up but everyone’s safety must be put first. Leading up to this I had three weights over the 100lb mark, winning three matches on the bounce! This was followed up with two seconds so a great few days fishing at Drennan Lindholme Leisure Lakes to say the least. They guys at Lindholme took the decision at the start of the week to fully close the complex but continue to feed the fish on the fishery pellet in the anglers absence.

Not wanting to go through the details of each match, the main technique was the ever faithful method feeder filled with groundbait and maggots on the hook. I was using Dynamite Swim Stim Green mixed 50/50 with Marine Halibut, this is probably the best mix I have used for F1’s and is stick enough to remain in the feeder. A short 4” hooklength of 0.13mm (2.6lb) Supplex Fluorocarbon to a size 18 Drennan Carp Match hook baited with just a single white maggot.

When fishing tight to islands shorts rods are very important and my trusty 9ft Acoylte Plus Feeder are superb for this. Less rod length means you can control the cast more easily when dropping a feeder tight to the banks, the other advantage is it’s much easier when netting fish with the softer rod. Lindholme are currently fitting out a brand new tackle shop which will allow anglers to try before you buy on the complete Acolyte range for 2 1/2 hours on Bonsai lake.

I have learnt a lot about commercial fishing over the last few weeks and here are just two tips which will certainly put more fish in the net. I have used the Drennan Team England Match Catapults with the Nylon Pouch for many years now, the last couple of weeks I have been pinging pellets on the pole which has been a good method for the F1’s and carp as they start to react to the noise. I tried the new Drennan Feeder Pult (large) with the aqua swivel pouch and soft elastic. I thought the more cupped shape pouch might spread the pellets but to my surprise it grouped the pellets tighter than I thought possible, even at 16m. I did cut the elastic down by about 1.5” to make it easier to fire whilst holding the pole. On Sunday’s match at Drennan Lindholme Lakes it was on the big lake, I caught a couple of big carp by pinging 8mm pellets at distance and again was very impressed with the grouping. These catapults are a new addition to the Drennan range and are well worth checking out!

Another method which has result in a lot of fish is the bomb and corn, simply loose feeding corn and fishing a straight lead with hair rigged corn as hookbait. With the fish coming closer into the banks corn on the pole has started to work well on the short pole line. Most anglers fish by just hooking the corn directly onto the hook, I have been hair rigging mine for great results. Fishing with a size 20 Kamasan B911 hook and using a Drennan Pushstop has several advantages, with nothing to impede penetration, lifting on bites means you get a great hook hold with most fished hook in the top lip whilst fishing at almost dead depth. I feel I miss less bites but just as important, the corn stays on the hair instead of having the come in to re-hook a new piece of corn meaning you are in the water for longer which can result in more fish in the net.

With no matches over the next few weeks it’s a good time to get rigs replenished, extra hooklengths tied up and give your tackle a general sort out and tidy. Let’s all hope this does pass quickly so we can all get back to doing the one thing we love, fishing!

Keep safe,
Alan

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Nice to know the Kamasan B911 didn't let him down. And people wonder why I use them. :giggle: