Air gunners, your opinions please.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I have ordered a new air rifle, comes complete with scope but it's a basic 4x32 and make unknown. I will be replacing it but need some advice on 2 that I have in mind.

This one,

or this one...

it's for the vermin (mink and rats) down on clubs waters.

And here's the gun it's going on.

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi Peter,

I use a Air Arms 410 with a 3-9 x 50 Hawke electro dot sight. For night time I use a NS200 mounted on the scope. We have 140 chickens and 35 ducks and with poultry comes rats. I have to thin them out from time to time. Before the Hawke I had a Nikko Sterling. For the money the Nikko Sterling was spot on. Sadly I let it go when I sold a Webley Vulcan. I'd recommend a 50 though as this scope lets more light in. No doubt you'll be using your rifle at dusk ?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Hi Peter,

I use a Air Arms 410 with a 3-9 x 50 Hawke electro dot sight. For night time I use a NS200 mounted on the scope. We have 140 chickens and 35 ducks and with poultry comes rats. I have to thin them out from time to time. Before the Hawke I had a Nikko Sterling. For the money the Nikko Sterling was spot on. Sadly I let it go when I sold a Webley Vulcan. I'd recommend a 50 though as this scope lets more light in. No doubt you'll be using your rifle at dusk ?

Dusk and dawn mate. I don't know if you remember, but when you came down to the lakes to look them over, the recycling centre is opposite the lakes and that's where the rats are coming from.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Have you won the lottery or something Pete o_O

With the cold creeping in now, and a lot of work to do on the lakes, I don't have a lot of time for fishing. So some of my extremely hard earned pennies came out of my fishing fund and went on the rifle. I'm down working on the lakes most days so it seemed obvious to fettle the odd vermin while I was down there.

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
I use a falcon fn12 with a mtc mamba lite on it. Great combo.
I’ve also just sold a HW110 STK in .177 with 3ltr 300 bar bottle that I took in px for my mountain bike
Gear was new in the box and would of been a lovely tool for what you’re doing

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I use a falcon fn12 with a mtc mamba lite on it. Great combo.
I’ve also just sold a HW110 STK in .177 with 3ltr 300 bar bottle that I took in px for my mountain bike
Gear was new in the box and would of been a lovely tool for what you’re doing

I was thinking of adding a red dot laser sight to the 4-12x50 scope, but then saw the cvlife has it built in. It's not just rats, there's mink as well.

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
Does the owner or his brother still wander round Swillington Pk lakes with the rifle over his arm? I used wonder if it was really for the "four legged" or "two legged" vermin!

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@ukzero1 Are you sure it's not because the missus wants a mink coat for Christmas ? :) Just tell her it's the latest fashion to have a coat with holes in allover it. :D

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I was thinking of adding a red dot laser sight to the 4-12x50 scope, but then saw the cvlife has it built in. It's not just rats, there's mink as well.
When we fished ' 10 bob Micks ' I saw a trap set up for mink. You may have seen it. Would that be any good ? Something like a trap. Saying that, you may need a license to trap mink I dont know. Just a thought pal.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
When we fished ' 10 bob Micks ' I saw a trap set up for mink. You may have seen it. Would that be any good ? Something like a trap. Saying that, you may need a license to trap mink I dont know. Just a thought pal.

Traps were mentioned at the last meeting, the problem there is, where do you release them? Across from our fishery is another 2 lakes which was another fishery but now it's closed and used for breeding Carp to supply other places both that, and the clubs waters are fed by a stream. So the obvious answer was to 'eliminate' them.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Traps were mentioned at the last meeting, the problem there is, where do you release them? Across from our fishery is another 2 lakes which was another fishery but now it's closed and used for breeding Carp to supply other places both that, and the clubs waters are fed by a stream. So the obvious answer was to 'eliminate' them.
Make the animal rights protesters who broke into mink farms in the eighties and nineties look after them Peter. Its their silly fault we have them now isnt it ?

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
What ya getting Sly ? ..... An A to Z. ???
A part from still living and breathing,what have I done to warrant such abuse,I was going to call you a nasty old git,but then remembered that you are younger than me ???

Brythebagger

Site Supporter

What about a N/V scope ? If you could borrow one you could put a serious dent in the vermin population