Ahhh, we can dream.......

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
We looked at a house several years ago on the outskirts of Bingley that had the River Aire running through the bottom of the garden, complete with fishing rights.

Unfortunately, the house was also slipping down the back garden, and had some serious structural defects which made it cost prohibitive.

MarkW

All I can say is that one acre pools take a lot of management, preventing the predation you don't want as well as stopping over population of fish such as bream, rudd and roach. In fact I would countenance bream in a small pool, tench, crucians and heavily managed roach maybe.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Insurance is an issue now for riverside properties. My mum moved and now lives half way up a hill so no worries on that front. I often wonder how the owners of her old house fared, although the EA have done a lot of flood prevention work over the last few years (to the detriment of the fishing).

Ivan heaphurst

If I had enough brass it would have to be a nice house/cottage with river frontage, far enough away so as to not get wet feet when it rains. Then I would have a big pool dug out and fill it with Roach, Rudd, Crucians and Tench.
That reminds me, buy a lottery ticket.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I would have four on the same complex. A specimen one. A match one. A more traditional species one, A training one.
Then everyone's happy........

Joe C

Interestingly I’ve just read this.

It costs approx. £10,000 - £12,000 / acre to set up a successful fishing lake.

This was written in 2016, so add on a couple of grand. Obviously that’s a fair bit of money but not as much as I thought.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
If I built a pool it would be devoid if carp except for crucians plus tench, golden orfe, rudd, roach and bream.
When I was a kid the local ponds were mainly full of tench and orfe, not a carp in sight.
You must have a preditor species or the orfe will breed like ants.

Joe C

I’d love a house on the Thames. The big classic looking ones you see around the likes of burcot, Dorchester and other villages in that neck of the woods with the two level gardens that make them flood proof. I hate to think how much they cost. Love having a good nosey at them from my boat as like you can say you can dream can’t you! There’s some similar houses on the Avon above Stratford that would do nicely as well!
I’ve got images of you stood on a balcony in a smoking jacket drinking a glass of brandy 🤣

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You must have a preditor species or the orfe will breed like ants.
True everywhere I've ever fished without perch has had a ridiculous amount of stunted fish.

I’ve got images of you stood on a balcony in a smoking jacket drinking a glass of brandy 🤣
😂 tbf most of them do have a balcony or two as I'm sure you can imagine 😅

62tucker

Site Supporter
Interestingly I’ve just read this.

It costs approx. £10,000 - £12,000 / acre to set up a successful fishing lake.

This was written in 2016, so add on a couple of grand. Obviously that’s a fair bit of money but not as much as I thought.
I would say if your digging your own getting rid of the soil is a major cost. Unless room on site for it.
Will it hold water. Might need clay lining.
Loads of costs. With new build

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As a rough guide, there is about three times as much 'waste' as the size of the hole you've dug out - for every 1m3 dug, expect about 3m3 of waste

1 acre is approx 4047 m2
Allow for an average depth of 2m
That's 8000m3 give or take a margin or two.

The waste on that will be approx 24,000m3
Eight-wheel grab lorries can typically move approximately 16 tonnes or 12m3,
Thats 2,000 grab wagons at a cost of £180min per wagon to dispose of the waste (£360K)

Most fisheries under construction try to lose the waste building up the banks, but something to bear in mind depending on the planning.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Are you factoring in bushes / trees etc ? I think I’d be looking for a new excavator operator and haulage company if they were telling me that 1 cum as dug was bulking up to 3 cum to be carted away

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think I'd want tarmac leading to the car park as well not one of those rubble tracks. 😁

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Are you factoring in bushes / trees etc ? I think I’d be looking for a new excavator operator and haulage company if they were telling me that 1 cum as dug was bulking up to 3 cum to be carted away
Based on experience having dug many holes