Ahhh, we can dream.......

Joe C

I hope/dream one day to be able to by a property in the countryside with a bit of land.

I’d then like to get the experts in to dig the land and create my own personal lake.

An acre in size, bulrushes, lillypads, Mr Crabtree style. Then stock crucians, different types of tench, chub, Ide, roach, perch, Rudd and bream.
Float fishing paradise!

What would your own personal fishery consist of and look like?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'd like some nice specimens of varying species in there even if I did stock Carp. I have a fishery near me that I'd use as a model which has Carp but is still an anglers paradise for me as it has specimens of other species, Roach to 3lb, Bream to 14lb, and Perch to 4lb. The Tench and Crucians in there are all quite small as I think they're slow to grow and one of the pools has too many small Roach meaning you can't fish maggot is the only downside.

I'd also have a river with a weir running next to it with no need to stock as the fish of varying species would move in and out of it naturally.

corkycat

That would be my dream as well - a river or stream running through the bottom of my garden, which would be wide and deep enough to trot or maybe ledger for whatever inhabits it. Only problem would be after heavy rain and the thing flooded my garden or even house.

I might have to give that a bit of thought.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d love a house on the Thames. The big classic looking ones you see around the likes of burcot, Dorchester and other villages in that neck of the woods with the two level gardens that make them flood proof. I hate to think how much they cost. Love having a good nosey at them from my boat as like you can say you can dream can’t you! There’s some similar houses on the Avon above Stratford that would do nicely as well!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d love a house on the Thames. The big classic looking ones you see around the likes of burcot, Dorchester and other villages in that neck of the woods with the two level gardens that make them flood proof. I hate to think how much they cost. Love having a good nosey at them from my boat as like you can say you can dream can’t you! There’s some similar houses on the Avon above Stratford that would do nicely as well!
Although I’d like to be on a river I’d happily have a lake. I’d make it roughly rugby/football pitch size and shape (without the straight edges of course) with depths going for 3-4ft straight off the bank to about 5-6ft at typical fishing range and maybe 7-8ft in the middle. Banks would be planted to look as natural as possible with a couple swims cut out at either end and I guess a handful down each size. Stock would be roach, perch, bream, crucians and tench.

Both if I was on a river or had a lake I’d still mostly fish other venues but would be great to have a venue at home for when you don’t have the time or inclination for a proper sessions elsewhere and for providing fishing to friends and family.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Not wishing to be smug😉 but I have the space, I have the river and weir, I just need the expertise and a cash injection. I'm just a poor pensioner you know.😜

IMG-20210309-WA0000.jpeg

RiggersSW

Funnily enough was thinking about this yesterday and trying to figure out how many years wages I'd need to make it viable, unfortunately at my current annual rate I'd be 6 feet under for a good few years before it'd happen :LOL:

But to answer the original question. Probably 3 acres in size, surrounded by woodland, a few islands, a nice big bay, shape all over the place (Can't stand lakes that are just a big oval with no features), plenty of reed beds and lilies. Stock would be Bream, Tench, Roach, Rudd, Perch, Crucians and a small number of carp.

rudd

Site Supporter
Would love a decent river near me.
Cannot afford a bird bath as things stand!

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I hope/dream one day to be able to by a property in the countryside with a bit of land.

I’d then like to get the experts in to dig the land and create my own personal lake.

An acre in size, bulrushes, lillypads, Mr Crabtree style. Then stock crucians, different types of tench, chub, Ide, roach, perch, Rudd and bream.
Float fishing paradise!

What would your own personal fishery consist of and look like?
It would look just as you have described except I wouldn't bother with Chub or Ide/Orfe.

Foul hooked

This has always been my dream too. nothing fancy, maybe an acre or so with lots of features, natural planting such as reed beds, lillies and some natural woodland around (maybe a snake pool too.) Tht way, at least if the fish were not playing i could watch the birds and other wildlife. As for stocking, it would be primarily Roach, Rudd, Bream, Tench and crucians.
I possibly hav the finances (if i cashed my pension in and pooled my life savings) but unfortunately live in an urban semi.
I have looked, albeit not seriously, for a piece of land nearby that might be suitable (has to have the right soil, water table and/or some sort of feeder stream) but unless you want to buy a complete farm nobody seems to have a couple of acres or so for sale thats not too far away

Silver fan 82

If space allowed and money not an issue I would dig two separate lakes.
Both with islands, varying depths planted with rushes, lilies and trees.
First would be a speci carp lake 😱
Second would be stocked with tench, Bream, rudd, roach, perch and gudgeon.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Not for me....same lake same fish day in day out.....your own personal pets.......would rather open wild untried venues
My parents house when I was in my teens backed on to a small river. I dammed it up on the downstream end of our garden and the slightly deeper water held a number of wild brownies. Although I fished the beck extensively, including the pool next door but one, I never fished at the back of our house. It just didn’t seem right for some reason.