Age of the fish we catch.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Have you ever wondered how old that roach, bream or perch could be that you've just slipped your net under ? In AT today there's a feature telling how old our intended quarry get to .....

Pike ..... 15 to 16 years.
Roach ..... 12 years.
Perch ..... 8 to 10 years.
Grayling .... 3 to 4 years.
Carp & Catfish .. 60+ years.
Chub .... 25 to 30 years.
Tench .... 25 to 30 years.
Barbel ... 20 to 25 years.
Bream .... 20 to 25 years.

If you'd like to know how old you are if you were a roach simply divide your current age by 5. Don't be alarmed though as roach only live to a maximum of 15 years. ?

I'm a 10.6 year old roach I am. ?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Those numbers are hgher than the maximums that I've seen published before - but tally with my observations on the Great Ouse chub (the current 7 pounders are the same fish we were catching at 2 pounds in 1990)

rudd

Site Supporter
Wonder where they got their data? I have looked at some and its way different to theirs!

Roach in South average 18 years whilst up North 14 years.
Can reach 25 years!

On the the other hand Tench average 15 years but have been known to make it to 30!

rudd

Site Supporter
Wonder where they got their data? I have looked at some and its way different to theirs!

Roach in South average 18 years whilst up North 14 years.
Can reach 25 years!

On the the other hand Tench average 15 years but have been known to make it to 30!
Maybe they now live longer due to climae change?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I fish a couple of places that are full with Tench under a pound. Always wondered how old they are and what the fishing will be like in 10 years time when they have had chance to grow.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Never mind the age of fish article. Look at the size of that Bass on page five. 22 lb!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
True phill that was quite some bass, second one over the record in a couple weeks. They would certainly be pretty old fish.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I have 2 golden oarf that must be 15 years old. Dropped a few maggots into pond today and them 2 were 1st onto them munching them up off the bottom.