Africa

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Have made threads on Japan before, fully expecting them to divide opinion, as I like Japan, whereas older generations will remember the war.

How about a thread on Africa?

Any bits of history or modern day events take your interest? I have read a bit of Laurens Van Der Post, as famed in Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence as well as few African authors, can recommend the South African crime writer, Deon Meyer.

Many people will probably remember things like the Rwandan Genocide and various historical Wars and Coup D'etats.

centerpin fan

My first thought is this book:

Amazon product

I read excerpts of it as a kid and read the book (multiple times) when I was older. It was where I first heard the story of “The Man-Eaters of Tsavo” by J.H. Patterson.

Moral of the story: Africa is a dangerous place.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
havnt learned much about the history but did a 3 week trip/safari in Zambia, Botswana and Namibia and it was amazing and been to kenya a couple of times

MrBen

Site Supporter
885FA4A9-F636-417A-8CF2-8B2B589784D3.jpeg

Personally I’d go for Java

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Have made threads on Japan before, fully expecting them to divide opinion, as I like Japan, whereas older generations will remember the war.

How about a thread on Africa?

Any bits of history or modern day events take your interest? I have read a bit of Laurens Van Der Post, as famed in Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence as well as few African authors, can recommend the South African crime writer, Deon Meyer.

Many people will probably remember things like the Rwandan Genocide and various historical Wars and Coup D'etats.
David Bowie was brilliant in that film , im very interested in all things Egyptian and watch many documentaries on the subject .

Browner

Site Supporter
Africa - Toto. Love it and Rosanna too. The drum beats are brilliant. That shuffle is legendary. ;)

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Big fan of the Bangles but apart from Eternal Flame more of a B52s man, but that's Mesopotamia. :LOL: My mate from University is now the most famous British-Zambian poet.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I tried watching some Nollywood films but they haven't caught up even with Bollywood yet. Some of the music on the other hand.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Not somewhere I've ever been without counting the Sinai peninsula as part of Africa rather than the Middle East. My great grandfather spent a lot of time in what was then called The Gold Coast. For this reason, my ears tend to prick up when there's any mention of Ghana.

Beyond that, my wanderlust was sated many years ago. Unless something rather unexpected happens

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
5th December 2013, I arrived home from a 17 day works trip to Johannesburg around 10am, later that day Nelson Mandela died. Think he just wanted to know I got home safe.