Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Where the hell are the heavy artillary when the foot soldiers go on tour??? Just seen some footage on TV and they are in no way helped by anyone.

If they know where they are shooting from a few artillary rounds would sort that out.

My dad was in the army and wouldnt ever let people be open to attack like they are now.

Makes you think how we are so open.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Apparently they can't use artilery due to the risk of civilian injuries

Saying that half the time the civilians are harbouring the Taliban or covering their tracks out of fear of them and retribution, so they're not to be trusted anyway in most cases

nelson66

What was it Kenny Everet used to say?

Round em up
Put em in a field and ................

Ferret1959

Snake breeder.
Originally posted by nelson66

What was it Kenny Everet used to say?

Round em up
Put em in a field and ................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMHDBL7CNA4

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
A lot of the places they are patrolling will be outside the range of artillery and they rely on air support. There will be aircraft up on combat air patrols but may be a fair distance away. As Dave said they patrol through villages inhabited by civillians and cant afford to lob artillery shells, although very accurate these days, incase of innocent casualties and rely on much more accurate laser guided ordnance from aircraft instead. This relies on a laser designator either aimed by troops on the ground or by an aircraft which lights up the target for another aircraft to drop its bombs.

HarryOatcake

02/02/04 -24/12/17
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
If it was the Yanks they would call up an airstrike and blast
everything and everyone. [:eek:)]

Harry.

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Reason I say that is that the insurgents were in the open. They were between villages and taking pot shots then disappearing. Why not put road blocks between villages then blow them up. They are like Meerkats, pop up then disappear.

HarryOatcake

02/02/04 -24/12/17
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
Originally posted by svenc

Reason I say that is that the insurgents were in the open. They were between villages and taking pot shots then disappearing. Why not put road blocks between villages then blow them up. They are like Meerkats, pop up then disappear.

That sounds Simples Svenc. [;)]

Harry.

gibby

This war is unwinnable and we are only there because of Governments brown nosing of whoever is the White House. Anyone who backs this war needs a history book. At the height of our imperial power in the 19th century we failed to pacify Afghanistan. In the late 1970s and 1980s the Soviets deployed an estimated 200,000 troops, were prepared to be more ruthless then we or the yanks are, yet retreated with their tails between their legs.

Today, the US with all its resources, has failed to learn the lessons of the past and I suspect, will pull out in a couple of years following some shabby deal with whichever bunch of Islamic gangsters controls most territory at the time.

This war is not worth the life of another British soldier. If Cameron had any bottle he would authorise a troop withdrawal and use the money saved to beef up our anti-terrorism operation here in the UK. Nearly every single real, or suspected Islamic terrorist arrested in this country has been British born and bred

b12ady

its a shame we cant get the brits out and then nuke the area,as for the civilians,oops

zenith20

Originally posted by zenith20

Might be a silly question. But did he give Freddie Mercury Aids?

Oh no. Answered my own question. Apparently he got it from Freddie Mercury's partner at that time.

zenith20

Originally posted by kcon123

Originally posted by b12ady

its a shame we cant get the brits out and then nuke the area,as for the civilians,oops

I hope that's a joke.

You'd end up involving everyone around Afghanistan as well. Depending on which way the wind blows it could go anywhere.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by gibby

This war is unwinnable and we are only there because of Governments brown nosing of whoever is the White House. Anyone who backs this war needs a history book. At the height of our imperial power in the 19th century we failed to pacify Afghanistan. In the late 1970s and 1980s the Soviets deployed an estimated 200,000 troops, were prepared to be more ruthless then we or the yanks are, yet retreated with their tails between their legs.

Today, the US with all its resources, has failed to learn the lessons of the past and I suspect, will pull out in a couple of years following some shabby deal with whichever bunch of Islamic gangsters controls most territory at the time.

This war is not worth the life of another British soldier. If Cameron had any bottle he would authorise a troop withdrawal and use the money saved to beef up our anti-terrorism operation here in the UK. Nearly every single real, or suspected Islamic terrorist arrested in this country has been British born and bred

The really galling thing is the CIA were assisting the Taliban against the Russians. Biters getting their bum bit springs to mind.

b12ady

yes shame about the wind,we could use a low yield tactical nuke and i wouldnt tell the yanks either

Last edited:

HarryOatcake

02/02/04 -24/12/17
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
If all our troops and support was withdrawn I wonder how long it would
be before this Country was back on its feet financialy. ?

Mind you I cannot really see this happening in the near future due to
the loss of face politicaly
and the claim of what have our brave troops died for.

The trouble with all our Governments in this Country is that they just cannot keep there noses out of World wide issues that do not concern them.

It is perfectly true what is well known and said,
Politicians create the wars and our brave troops have to fight them
if there was a genuine threat to our Country then yes I could well understand.

One thing I do think is that we will never win this one
others have tried in days gone by and failed,
I feel we are on a hiding to nothing
half the time we don't even know who we are fighting.

Harry.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
My belief is that Obama has given the military a year to make the extra forces that were requested make a difference. If by next spring there is no improvement I think you will see a negotiated phased withdrawal.

Then Cameron can go about reducing the size of our military establishment by merging the RAF back into the army.

peteblade

I can't believe they aren't usng the Challenger 2 tank out there. One of those covering foot patrols would make them think twice about letting off a few RPG's.

butler

champion blanker
Tanks in general would be a massive waste of resources , tanks are used in open warfare where you are fighting a conventional enemy who also have armour, in Afghanistan we are fighting taliban who use civilian cover so a fast air strike, mortars or snipers are best[8D].

Status
Not open for further replies.