Affordable Seat boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

anytackle

Used by both coarse and sea anglers this boxes offers something for anyone looking for an affordable seating solution. Inside the box you will find plenty of space for you fishing accessories. The box is durable and made form lightweight plastic making it ideal for juniors and adults alike.

You can also purchase additional accessories such as trays, cushions and adjustable feet from octopus. This has been the worlds best selling seat box for many years now.

Last edited:

gibby

I bought one of these a few years ago when funds were tight and its still going strong. Although cheap and cheerful and not for the tackle tarts they are robust and good value for money. However, if you intend walking any distance to your swim I would recommend buying the padded strap as the one supplied as standard does cut into your shoulder.

Just one thing tho I thought this forum was for personal recommendations from anglers who have bought a bit of kit, or from anglers seeking advice on what to buy. This looks like an advert to me!

Last edited by a moderator:

anytackle

Hi Gibby, you are very correct to say that a padded strap is much better than the standard one supplied. Also the top box which can be bought as an addition is way too expensive for what it is. I believe they retail around 40 - more than the box itself. Regarding the advert - this is a personal opinion. I have used a lot of the stock we sell throughout my years as an angler. I now use a browning ambition seat box but prior to that I had one of these boxes which I used for sea fishing around the north east coastline. I would not post something on here unless I have used it myself and just because I own a tackle shop it does not make my opinions any less valuable.

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't have any problems with this post because as I read it it is a review of an excellent entry level seat box that is and was used by many of us until the all singing, all dancing, seat boxes that we know of today came on to the scene [:)]

These 'Shakey' boxes (can I say that [;)]) are dirt cheap in comparison to today's modern boxes, a lot lighter in weight, come as a basis to build on and are still as efficient today as they were back then when first introduced

Accessories for the box include side trays, seat cushions, padded straps, leg kits, drawer units, and a multitude of storage boxes to put inside them

breadflake

Site Supporter
bargain still using mine after 20 years or so,
added side tray,cushion and padded strap,
if you want to add legs get the octoplus XL size due to the shape of the box
2 things to be wary of,
it holds a lot of gear and you only realise it after a 1/2 hour walk to your peg
and if the lid is not shut properly when you sit down it makes a noise like .22
scaring every fish within casting range (excuse No 263)

Sparhawk

I was "gifted" an all singing all dancing pole seat box and hated it.

The footplte banged about all over the place its awkward to carry and heavy. There isnt enough space in it for 2 bait tins and 2 reels.

So I went and got one of these. Best ting i ever did [:D]

spud

Baggin Machine
I had one of these for about 4 years until i recentley bought a milo and have to say it was and still is an excellent box for the money i payed. I bought the top box off my dads mate and it made it more comfortable as my legs were under my chin when i didnt have it(being 6ft 6in). I still use it from time to time when i travel light as there is so much space i can fit everything in it. My nephew also uses it when he comes with me. Woud definately recommend it if funds are tight and you want a good box that will last for years.

daniel121

Account Closed
Originally posted by Sparhawk

I was "gifted" an all singing all dancing pole seat box and hated it.

The footplte banged about all over the place its awkward to carry and heavy. There isnt enough space in it for 2 bait tins and 2 reels.

So I went and got one of these. Best ting i ever did [:D]

i still have mine in the blue in the loft all octoplus gear an all, to be honest for river fishing they are all you need, light hold the kitchen sink and still have room for the fridge as well!!! [:D]

I have said on many of topic on here people are far far far to conserned with looking good on the bank and im sure they think fish pop there heads up to read the lable on their stupidly priced matching clothes and even more over priced seatboxes, Its over a grand for some of them and then you have to be geff capes to pick the thing up (and thats beofore you put your gear in it!)

Theres nothing wrong with these seat boxes particulaly for the angler who does not fish a pole over 11m very often, and even if you do you can get a footplate for it.

Add the fact that will last for as long as YOU want them too, they are just about indestructible.

d1ball

Bally
My dad bought me one of these when they first came out in 1983....enough said....

Genus9

We sell them and must admit We sell more of these than any other seat box,

Mainly to kids but the odd adult has one but they usually come back a few weels later and buy a better one,

The one they all seem to go for is the Ron Thompson that sell for 140, [:)]

Oh and if anyone here wants one of the origonal Octoplus main frames I found one complete in the box with the red mud feet whilst I was having a tidy up the other day,

And a box full of other Octoplus fittings as well, [:)]

hellsbells

i saved the money from my saturday job to buy one of these in 1985 and had it for 10yrs(replaced it with an ASI). i then gave it to my younger brother who had it for 8yrs until i gave him my ASI and he gave the shakey box to his mate who still uses it. if thats not value for money i don't know what is.

Chris Watson

Dutch Dynamo
I remember when I first got my box similar to this one, only it was the Daiwa version. I was about 10 at the time and I thought I was the mutts nuts the first day I turned up on the bank with it. It had 2 sidetrays and a padded cushion [:D]. They were great boxes and would last a lifetime if looked after properly and I think they would be great boxes for kids starting out [:T]

fishdogmick

catch alot
there must have been millions made ,and still one of the best sellers .i think most anglers have had one .

Larry

Lazarus
I had a black one till 10 years ago when i became a tackle tart & succumbed to new breed of tackle boxes,And swopped for a Rive english modular cont box.The angler i sold it too in my local fishing club still uses it i fact i saw him on sunday morning with it waiting for his lift to come.

Jessebobs

Steve!
I think the beauty of it is that apart from nets everything else fits inside, doing away with the need for a separate carryall.

Lee999

Leeroy
Originally posted by Jessebobs

I think the beauty of it is that apart from nets everything else fits inside, doing away with the need for a separate carryall.

Yep I can remember the days of every bit of fishing kit I owned being in my Shakespeare box!

rod the cod

they do the job they were made for what more can you ask for

Peezartiste

Brilliant piece of kit. I got mine in the early 80's and its still going strong, but now used as a box for sea fishing. Fitted a Breakaway back rest and carry kit to it which enables you to carry it like a rucksack. The seatback makes it extremely comfortable to sit on and have something to lean back on, when times are slow.
I have a all singing box for coarse, and sometimes think it was a bit of a backward step. Looks good but with all the different drawers, it can be hard to find things. Course that may be because I am so disorganised.

bezz120

Had mine since early 90s,bought it second hand of a mate.Now give it to my mates lad,who uses it nearly every week got a few scratches and dints but still going strong love to see where my new box will be in 25 years.thats proper value for money

Status
Not open for further replies.