Advising on venues you don't fish?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Is it still possible to give advice on how to fish places that you haven't fished yourself? Is there enough universal basics and rules of fishing that can apply everywhere, making it possible, or is it better to show caution when talking about places that you haven't fished?

Probably a tricky question to answer. I try to take all advice in good spirits, but sometimes feel you can't beat first hand knowledge.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
There is no such person as an angling expert but there is such a person as an angling venue expert. But advice can be given by anyone, it's up to the individual to use that advice or not.

Total

Site Supporter
I think the only advice that applies generally is seasonal/weather, everything else is probably venue dependant.

I always listen to advice, but apply it my way especially to a new venue, I've never followed the 'crowd' and match wise that's definitely cost me money....

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I think the basic rules apply to most most places, I've won matches on my first visit to new venues, results must of been achieved following the basic rules.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I think tactics and techniques may be universal but there Is a place for venue specific information.

For example on my park lake you will catch on feeder, bomb, pole or waggler but each swim gives up its fish better to some methods than others - there are 4 swims that won’t give up a tap when pole fishing and likewise a couple that will not produce on a method feeder and it’s that sort of info that can make or break a session.

Having a lake with a shallow end and a dam wall end then local knowledge will significantly improve catch rates on a given day.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I told you to fish in the lilies for them Crucians didn’t I?😂😂😂
Seriously, Bream are Bream, Roach are Roach etc etc. I’m sure advice from one water I fish will be similar to waters I’ve never seen.
I fished a massive array of natural venues during my matchfishing years and, with the very rare exception, the various species were very predictable in their behaviour. All you needed to do was adapt to the conditions on the day👍

And draw on them in the first place😂

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I told you to fish in the lilies for them Crucians didn’t I?😂😂😂
The Crucians live in the lilies (from a certain time of year onwards), I'm sure mate, makes sense too. Means there's only 4 proper pegs to fish.