Advice please......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happyeater

Just really getting into float fishing and I've been told that the best method of float (waggler) fishing is on the bottom. The local shop sold me a weighted 'clip' to place onto the hook then cast, each time raising the float until it is visible. Then you know you're fishing at the right depth. I.E. with bait touching the bottom.

Now for my predicament. Where I fish there are Bream, roach, carp and tench. Advice for these is to lay the bait in the bottom. Does this mean that the weighted clip should be attached to the last weight (8-10cms from the hook)? What happens if the floor of the pond is uneven, surely this means that unless the cast is in exactly the right position, I'll be forever moving the float and re-casting?

Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome to the site Happy.

If the weighted clip is what i think it is then you've got a spring loaded plummet.

Set your last weight about 6in from the hook & clip the plummet onto it, then cast to where you're intending to fish.

Adjust your float until the tip is showing & then you're ready to fish, just take the plummet of before you bait up & cast again.

By putting the plummet onto the last weight you know you've got 6in to play with on the bottom so you should be ok.

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

Edited by - Trogg on 13 August 2002 7:45:11 PM

Happyeater

Thanks a lot for both the welcome and the advice, very much appreciated.

I suppose on this method a 'lifting float' could be as much of a bite as a float sliding away?

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Hi and yes a lifting float would be a bite. When shotting the waggler it needs to have the bulk shot just underneath the float. The remaining shot are then placed down the line. Largest shot at the top going smaller as it gets towards the hook. For the bream and tench I would suggest the next shot down from the float be placed just over half way down this helps prevent tangles. Smaller shot then placed equidistant towards the hook. Roach may want a falling bait. All the shot is grouped under the float with a couple of very small shot ie 8's or 10's just up from the hook. Over cast and pull back till the floats in the right position and watch the float as it settles any undue movement from the float is a bite on the drop. All Above is very basic and it would help if you played about with the shot placing to improve bite detection.

chill out go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.