Advice on the 'Method Feeder'

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby

The majority of my local venues have never really warrented the the use of this proven killer method, therefore even though i have read lots about it, i have not ever fished it. Has anyone got any sound advice on method mix, hooklenth poundage, hooksize etc. that i can put in to practice, when i visit a typical commercial venue in a couple of weeks time ?[?]

Ian C

Hi Bobby

I'm no expert, as I tried method fishing for the first time on Saturday [:)]

I went and bought a 15kg bag of Vitalin (flaked dog food) from a local petshop, along with some dried chipped sweetcorn and some crushed and dried Hemp and Tares. No doubt it would have been much easier to just go and buy some "off the shelf method mix", but I wanted to make my own and I intend doing quite a bit of method fishing, so I wanted quantity.

N.B. The crushed Hemp/Tares and chipped Sweetcorn had to be soaked for 24 hours. And I mixed the vitalin (with water) at least a day before use.

Getting the mix just right took a little trial and error, as it came out rather sticky at first, so I put some more vitalin into the mix that I had first blended to dust in a blender. That did the trick, as I was able to get the mix just as I wanted [:D]

As for line etc, I was using a 3lb carp rod, 14lbs Infinity Duo line and a Korda weighted method feeder (Though I did have a go on my Rhino feeder rod for a while too, which coped fine).
As for terminal tackle, I was using Pineapple boilies, which were hair-rigged on a size 6 hook (knotless setup)attached to a six inch hook length of 15lb braid.

I sometimes buried the hookbait in the method ball (opposite side to the weight so it sat on the top after sinking) when really giving it some on the cast, but mostly just left it outside.

I dare say the are better ways, but what the heck, it caught me a nice 13lb 10 oz carp [:D][:D][:D][:D]

I'd say getting the mix just right and having a fairly short hooklength are the most important bits to get right. The Korda method feeder was "semi-fixed" due to using a size 8 swivel on the end off the braid.

Like I said, I've never done it before, but I enjoyed it and can't wait to have another go [:D]

There's bound to be someone along soon who can give more advice than myself. I just thought I'd explain how I did it.

Datafile3.asp

Ian C

Last edited:

Flying Fish

Method mix, add PV1 binder to make it stickier if required (Van den Eynd) I use a small Drennan cage feeder,(15gr). When you rig the feeder, make sure that if the mainline was to snap, then any hooked fish could release itself from the feeder, leaving just the hook-length in its mouth.To do this, thread the mainline through your feeder, mine has a plastic tube running through its centre.Take the line after it comes through the feeder, slide over a small bit of silicone tube (10mm long) that is a nice fit on the plastic tube, then tie on a small swivel that is a nice fit in the silicone tube. When you pull the mainline back through the feeder the swivel will pull into the silicone tube that will slide onto the plastic tube sticking out of the feeder. Tie your hooklength (6" of 8lb.braid is what I use but mono is fine) onto the other end of the swivel and you know have a semi-fixed bolt-rig feeder. I use size 14 Method hooks, will take 4 maggots or some corn as hookbait for smaller sized carp. I squeeze the method mix round the feeder and bury the hook into the side of the ball.Make sure you use either a bait-runner type reel (Okuma small size Dynadrag is good) or as the fish start to hit your bait you may lose your rod from the rod-rest !! Be ready, the action can be frantic. Cast out the ball or groundbait, let it sink, then tighten up to it, without moving it on the bottom. Set up at about 90 degrees to the bait as you would quiver-tipping.Get a rod capable of casting about a 4oz. ball of bait, I use the Daiwa Porky Pig heavy feeder, most "feeder" type rods do not have a strong enough tip section to cope with the size of bait ball.Check out the other post about method rods earlier.For some serious action, use braid, about 8lb. is fine. You will see every touch of the bait, but braid is zero stretch, so play fish wisely.[:)]

Scale everything up for large carp, using boilies hair-rigged instead of maggot/corn, and carp rods instead of heavy feeder rod.

JM2pW. F.F. <'}}}><

Last edited:

buzzholder

best way to use method feeder is as follows: use a heavey feeder rod (i use a barble rod), if you have one then use a bait runner reel loaded with 8-10lb line through to a link swivel clip on method feeder. tie a size 12-16 (depending on bait to be used) useing the knotless knot (leave tail fo hair if required), and make loop in other end about 3-4 inches away. feed loop through swivel on bottom end of feeder and pass hook through its own loop,pull tight.set up completed. For mix if you are just starting out on this method i would recomend you use a shop bought method mix ground bait (mussle and squid very good). I would mix this first before setting up, and leave to stand allowing all the water to be soaked up. just prior to starting riddle ground bait.squize a small amuont onto the feeder then lay hook length onto side, fill over with more mix leaving hook and bait showing at top.You dont want to squize the mix on solid as you want this to brek down when the fish attack it or to break down afer a few mins on the bottom.When the fish are feeding on your ground bait you may get lots of taps on the rod LEAVE THESE. When the fish takes the hook bait the rod will bend right round and keep going hence useing a bait runner. click off the freespool of the bait runner and play your fish,Ther is no need to strike hard if at all as the fish will hook itself.

hope this is of some use (goes on a bit i know, but trying to give u a basic setup)
buzz holder[;)]
ps red maggots are a good starting bait

ajs

Hi Bobby the method is my favourit way of fishing when allowed to do so, there is nothing rocket science about it I use ordinary ground bait and any thing else at hand to put in the mix, as long as it stays on and dos'nt break up in mid air your method feeding,if your swim feeder fishing and you want to get extra bait out at the start of a session or at any time during the day wrap a lump of your faviorite mix round the feeder its the same thing that way your not over feeding and maggots in the s/feeder don't break up the mix before it hits the spot, the only problem with method feeding is the noise it makes when it hits the water like a bouncing bomb waking up all the blankers who have nodded off for a quite hour all the same its a great way of fishing and it gets results.

Datafile4.asp

aj smith

Status
Not open for further replies.