Advice on reed/rush margins

ManicMicky

Hi guys fairly new to fishing and enjoying the rush of margin fishing at the moment at my local commercial however every peg has reeds/rushes within a few metres which the carp ( usually 7lb+ ) love to rush too. Im using the preston edge monster with preston hollow elastic, 14 in one and 16 in the other top kit, using 0.19 to 0.17 size 16 or 14 hook depending on pellet size.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice as to how to steer the carp away as last time i went i lost 5 rigs and snapped one elastic hahaha.

Cheers for any info guys.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Can you feed and tempt the fish further away from the rushes? Tighter elastic, heavier elastic, stronger mainline, hook link and hook. Sometimes if you strike towards the rushes the fishes instinct is to bolt the opposite direction to the direction you strike in. Not always though.

davej1981

As chefter says with hollows stick to open water. Anything but hollows are far too stretchy to be able to stop fish quickly and turn them. Good size solid - i use a 14 in the margins and the odds will be much more in your favour. Unfortunately the current trend seems to be with hollow/slik elastic and they have their place, just not anywhere near snags!

ManicMicky

Solid elastic is really good advice ill change one of my top kits tomorrow, dont suppose anyone can recomend a good solid elastic for it? haha head to bobco tomorrow so can buy a new one, cheers

davej1981

Solid elastic is really good advice ill change one of my top kits tomorrow, dont suppose anyone can recomend a good solid elastic for it? haha head to bobco tomorrow so can buy a new one, cheers

I use preston slip. Its one of prestons original elastics, was using it25 yrs ago and imo theres a good reason its still being made now ? i use it in a 14 with 0.18 main to 0.16 hook length 14 hook and had margin fish to low doubles now problem with it. Undoubtedly your get people saying alsorta of elastic ultimately it comes down to personal preference

ManicMicky

Thanks so much! going to give it all a go tomorrow, i'll report back and let you know how much rigs i smash up hahaha Thanks lads!!!

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Thanks so much! going to give it all a go tomorrow, i'll report back and let you know how much rigs i smash up hahaha Thanks lads!!!
I doubt you’ll lose that many mate, unless you foulhook any, that elastic set tight will really stop them, be nice to know how you get on ??

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
As chefter says with hollows stick to open water. Anything but hollows are far too stretchy to be able to stop fish quickly and turn them. Good size solid - i use a 14 in the margins and the odds will be much more in your favour. Unfortunately the current trend seems to be with hollow/slik elastic and they have their place, just not anywhere near snags!
I’m like you , a massive advocate of hollows,For snag free swims , but you have to go back to the beginnings (ie solids, )when faced with extreme situations

Last edited:

davej1981

I’m like you , a massive advocate of hollows,For snag free swims , but you have to back to the beginnings (ie solids, )when faced with extreme situations
Deffo mate, ive returned to fishing after 20yrs off and everyone seem obsessed with hollows or slik now! Like everything in life use the right tool for the job

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Deffo mate, ive returned to fishing after 20yrs off and everyone seem obsessed with hollows or slik now! Like everything in life use the right tool for the job
They all seem obsessed with slik and equivalents, I’m happy with the elastics I use, I wouldn’t change to something more Fashionable just to be a follower

Carp attack

I fish a venue where this exact same problem occurs every match, the carp are extremely clued up an know where snags/reeds are,, there very strong fish an need gear what's upto the job, I've tryd all sorts of things from light elastic let them swinm away (yeah right!), strike towards reeds (nope!) My setup, Personally I use 0.24 to 0.21/22, hooks are MWG 14, elastic I've tryd all sorts and settled on a short length of blue middy solid 18/20 doubled set very pingy in a old top kit or slik 20/22 if the reeds arnt really bad ( not very often this gets used ), You have to be quick on the strike, strike an pull away from the reeds into open water, do not hesitate or your deep in the reeds an rig/hooks are lost,

Total

Site Supporter
They all seem obsessed with slik and equivalents, I’m happy with the elastics I use, I wouldn’t change to something more Fashionable just to be a follower

If I can't fish for them safely/correctly and land the vast majority of them there's no point.....Match or not.....End of.....

Zerkalo

Been in that situation a few times. Here’s how it goes, turn up at lake, “Oh those look like some nice features, I’ll choose that peg fish next to them, sure to hold some fish” I say to myself. Turns out to be right but then every fish is straight in there and sometimes it seems there is just no stopping them. :unsure:

Total

Site Supporter
Been in that situation a few times. Here’s how it goes, turn up at lake, “Oh those look like some nice features, I’ll choose that peg fish next to them, sure to hold some fish” I say to myself. Turns out to be right but then every fish is straight in there and sometimes it seems there is just no stopping them. :unsure:

More often than not, it's not the really big fish that are the problem, it's the two to five pound fish that are the worse for it....

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
It's always the 2-3lb'ers that nearly pull me rod in when i'm not paying attention :D

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
In that situation I normally use a Tri Cast Maximus margin pole with 20 solid elastic. However, if you can get them close enough I have had more success with a 2lb TC barbel rod with 8lb line and the reel clutch set tight.