Advice on Chubber floats

If weather brightens up was going to head down to the River Don to do some float fishing for grayling.

Was down where I'm planning to fish on Saturday and river looked to be quite fast and much more boily than usual. Usually use an alloy stick float or small waggler but think its gonna be a bit too turbulent for that so was gonna try a chubber float.

My question is how do people attach these when fishing in the aforementioned conditions. Its got an eye at the bottom for line to go through so could go with the usual line straight through and lock it in place with some shot or ive got float rubbers.

My question is which would be the better option?

I'm also assuming a bulkshot pattern with a small drop shot near the hook

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
If weather brightens up was going to head down to the River Don to do some float fishing for grayling.

Was down where I'm planning to fish on Saturday and river looked to be quite fast and much more boily than usual. Usually use an alloy stick float or small waggler but think its gonna be a bit too turbulent for that so was gonna try a chubber float.

My question is how do people attach these when fishing in the aforementioned conditions. Its got an eye at the bottom for line to go through so could go with the usual line straight through and lock it in place with some shot or ive got float rubbers.

Hi pal. I use Drennan chubber floats myself. Fished top and bottom like a stick float. My shotting pattern varies but, I normally start with a strung bulk and two droppers. If you use a solid bulk you’ll find it harder to strike through the shot and probably get in more tangles. Chubber floats are best fished with a centre pin where you can slow the float down to half the speed of the current.

Attachments

• D8D6B5AC-497B-4E59-A365-7D66C91AA344.jpeg
    D8D6B5AC-497B-4E59-A365-7D66C91AA344.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 41841D05-08C7-4CAD-95B9-A6C301DA7721.jpeg
    41841D05-08C7-4CAD-95B9-A6C301DA7721.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 12

trotter2

Fish them double rubber that way you can change the float ,to a smaller or larger float.
Bulk shot with one or 2 dropper shots usually no4s.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter

For Grayling I prefer to use a Drennan Bobber. One rubber on the neck and line passed through the eye. This way you can adjust your depth easily. Bulk shot 12"-18" from hook with one or two number 8 droppers. Worm or two red maggots as bait 👍🏻

Attachments

• IMG_20201222_080630.jpg
    IMG_20201222_080630.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
if your going to use a top and bottom float

fit a silicon swivel attachment to the bottom of the float and thread the line through the swivel eye instead of the eye on the float

it makes it far easier to change the float if the conditions dictate it, you wil not need to strip the whole rig down

I would start off with a proper avon style float at first

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
For Grayling I prefer to use a Drennan Bobber. One rubber on the neck and line passed through the eye. This way you can adjust your depth easily. Bulk shot 12"-18" from hook with one or two number 8 droppers. Worm or two red maggots as bait 👍🏻
Where do you get those from Jonathan ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
^^ Says he using PR36's for hemp fishing! :oops::p
🤣🤣. And Squatt. Double squatt on a size 10 hair rigged. What’s wrong wi that ? You lot fish way too light. If it’s hard I have been known to scale back to a 12. But, I find I miss a lot of bites going so small. 😳🤣🤣

Mark mate ..... Any half decent angler coming onto the forum for the first time and reading our posts will be thinking ...... What the ####. I thought this lot would know what they’re doing. Set of clowns they are. 🤣🤣🤣

Total

Site Supporter
.........Mark mate ..... Any half decent angler coming onto the forum for the first time and reading our posts will be thinking ...... What the ####. I thought this lot would know what they’re doing. Set of clowns they are. 🤣🤣🤣

"Boverreddddd?" :unsure::ROFLMAO: