Advice on approach

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I am going to try a public lake next week, for the first time. It is really a carp venue and that is pretty much the only way it is fished, but I want try for the other species present, roach,bream,tench and perch using a feeder approach. Where would you start with regard to bait etc.
It is a big lake of 40 acres plus, with a deep end and a shallow end.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
If the perch are worth going for, a little red worm is deadly.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Deep end for me, if there's a dam wall I'd be fishing there. Or maybe follow the wind.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm a bit clueless on big stillwaters water but I'd either go wag and mag not too far out if there's reasonable depth close in or chuck a ground bait and maggot feeder into reasonable depth if its shallow close in.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Bait wise maggot and caster would be my obvious choice, hemp. Could work well though not really on the feeder

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I used to approach reservoirs and big lakes like this with maggot feeder close in as my first choice - looks amazing, good luck.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies, but it is all academic at the moment. I went down to the lake this afternoon with my wife and the dog, to scout out a decent looking swim and found out that they have drained the lake halfway down, while they do some repair work on the dam. This means no fishing in this lake for the foreseeable future.
So, what was plan B again?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies, but it is all academic at the moment. I went down to the lake this afternoon with my wife and the dog, to scout out a decent looking swim and found out that they have drained the lake halfway down, while they do some repair work on the dam. This means no fishing in this lake for the foreseeable future.
So, what was plan B again?

Make a ton of notes about the exposed features, margins, possible snaggy areas, any shelves that might hold fish when full again.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Make a ton of notes about the exposed features, margins, possible snaggy areas, any shelves that might hold fish when full again.
I thought that, but the bottom is virtually featureless. Smooth clay/mud sloping gently down to the stream at the centre. There was nothing that caught my eye.