Advice on a new rod.

MercerWorcs

Hi all, I am looking to buy a new rod, actually a new single rod setup, Rod and reel. Ill tell you what I am after.

I've already got a 'big carp' setup, avid carp angler, however i enjoy going to my local day ticket waters and catching carp 10-20lbs off the top, in the margins etc. brilliant fun.
I used to go after work on nice summer evenings and aim to do even more this coming summer.

I want a single rod and reel setup. My aim is to travel extremely light. What i want from this setup is to gain as much pleasure/enjoyment as possible, use light line, a sensitive rod a small reel.

And to be honest I need some advice on what to get. I have been looking at barbel and chub rods, 1.25-2lb test curve, 11-13 ft.

Im going to say a budget of £100 for a rod and reel, open to all suggestions.

Many thanks lads

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Korum 12ft 1.75 Barbel Rod is ideal and Bobco were selling for £49.99.
Use my Korums Neoteric and Barbel for Barbel feeder/lead and Carp margin stalking,finned method and "off the top"
Plenty of reels around £50 and for me it's a smaller baitrunner everytime.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Use my Korums Neoteric and Barbel for Barbel feeder/lead and Carp margin stalking,finned method and "off the top"
Plenty of reels around £50 and for me it's a smaller baitrunner everytime.

Sounds good to me. :upthumb:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Seems a good suggestion to me. There’s also the Korum allrounder in both 1.25 and 1.5 tc for pretty much the same price that’ll also do the job and they are probably slightly more versatile having had a waggle of both the allrounder and the barbel.

For what it’s worth though I’ve used both the 11ft John Wilson Avon quiver travel with the Avon top and the 10ft tfgear compact allrounder for carp to lower mid doubles quite effectively. If there’s realistic chance of a 20 pounder something around 1.5 tc is probably more sensible than what I have though.

solwood

Site Supporter
Tfg compact carp 10ft 2.5tc (but feels less). Slim blank and proper through action

Shimano 4000dl fb baitrunner or second hand Speedia centrepin

You might be able to get all 3 for not much more than £100

This is what I use at my club runs water Broadwater. Reel choice depends on margin ok r distance

nejohn

Site Supporter
If you are looking for something a little lighter actioned than 1.75lb TC the Grey's prodigy at bobco is not a bad rod in 1.25tc, I use one for barbel on the Wye sometimes and it is quite a nice rod and at £49.99 the price is not bad either. Alternatively the darent valley range available from the tackle box at Dartford are very good and not badly priced either. Reel wise the Daiwa EM that bobco are doing are very good, the 3000 size may well be about right or if you want a bait runner the regals are not bad for the money

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Whenever there's a question on gear for carp in the teens I thinks it's important to consider how big most of them are actually likely to be. If 4 out of 5 are in the 10-15lb bracket then a 1.25 tc rod with a 3000 or 4000 sized reel with 5-6lb line is good as it'll give you good sport whilst still being able to deal with the occasional 15lb plus fish if you're careful. If 4 out of 5 are in the 15-20lb bracket then a rod of 1.5 or 1.75 tc with a 4000 reel with 6-8lb is more sensible. If unsure I'd always err on the lighter side for the fun factor as if you get an occasional upper double you'll get it in on 1.25tc if careful whereas just winding in loads of lower doubles on 1.75tc won't be much fun.

MercerWorcs

Thank you for the replies!

I have looked at this range and held them in hand, being extremely fussy i am not keen on the white end, however more than likely going to be my choice.

As of a 10ft rod I already own a couple of Daiwa black widows at 3lb test curve, I can't quite sum up the right word i am trying to use but they feel a bit bulky, also would like the extra feet to swing free lined bread etc.

Now this reel has caught my eye as I was already looking at the Daiwa crossfire. I own a pair of Daiwa emblem BR's and i love the quality. however i have recently got used to stopping the spool and adjusting drag whilst playing a fish. So i feel like a smooth front drag reel is for me on this one.

MercerWorcs

Whenever there's a question on gear for carp in the teens I thinks it's important to consider how big most of them are actually likely to be. If 4 out of 5 are in the 10-15lb bracket then a 1.25 tc rod with a 3000 or 4000 sized reel with 5-6lb line is good as it'll give you good sport whilst still being able to deal with the occasional 15lb plus fish if you're careful. If 4 out of 5 are in the 15-20lb bracket then a rod of 1.5 or 1.75 tc with a 4000 reel with 6-8lb is more sensible. If unsure I'd always err on the lighter side for the fun factor as if you get an occasional upper double you'll get it in on 1.25tc if careful whereas just winding in loads of lower doubles on 1.75tc won't be much fun.

Brilliant point, it depends on which fishery i go to. Thank you for the feedback, ill use it wisely.

solwood

Site Supporter
Just to say the tfg does not feel bulky as its pencil thin, I use it with 6 or 8lb mainline size 14 and 12 hooks and reflo hooklengthe of .23 and .21

I have barbel rods and avons too but for caro in the teens these are my first choice because of the action

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That's quite surprising to hear solwood as the tfg all rounder sorts out 10lb fish with relative ease so I'd have expected the Carp rod to absolutely beast 20lb fish let alone smaller ones.

solwood

Site Supporter
Or a JW Youngv ray Walton 11ft 1.6 tc barbel rod, again very through action as not designed for casting long distance but rolling meat!

solwood

Site Supporter
Silver Fisher its lovely to play fish on, it was a pleasant surprise to feel the rod bend under the reel seat

If it had another brand it would be lauded.

It does control fish well but you can still feel every lunge, in fact the diameter above the reel seat is close to an acolyte 13ft float or Harrison GTI and much slimmer than a S7 11ft carp waggler

Nothing like a rod creating a capital C

MercerWorcs

Just to say the tfg does not feel bulky as its pencil thin
I don't doubt you, the carp rods i currently own are thin, lovely rods, however using them in this scenario feel a little overkill. I imagine a lower test curve rod will react differently to my 3lb tc rods when a carp lunges.

solwood

Site Supporter
Many of my mates complain I fish too light, in fact the only one who doesn't is @Superted