advice for fishing in Ireland May 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard

Hello
Going to Granard with 4 mates at end May. Have been three times now and never done any good.
Too much guiness, and very late starts. Also don't know where to go ???
Any advice gratefully received.
Wondered about Lough Sheelin & Lough Kinale.
Thanks
Richard

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Hi Richard, welcome aboard Maggot drowners. Where the heck is Granard, obviously Ireland 'cos you mentioned Guinness. Afraid I can't help you 'cos I don't know the place your going. Can only suggest more time on the BANK and less time IN THE BAR, so far..

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

richard

Thanks for taking time to reply David Senior.
Never tried one of these forums before.

Granard is in not too far from Lough Gowna and near Lough Sheelin & Lough Kinale - from maps !!!

scouse

'River Man'
hi richard
try this site
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~lochgowna/main.htm[:D]

dave mickey.gif scouse (and proud of it)

scouse

'River Man'
hi richard
just got
lough kinale on google
it says there is no access by road
only boat and is a very
weedy lake
have a look yourself
just go to google
and put in lough kinale
hope this helps[:D]

dave mickey.gif scouse (and proud of it)

colmog

Try Church Lake beside Lough Gowna village and Dernafest - but most of all be prepared to travel a bit when you come over. Lough Barnagrow near Shercock, Co Cavan always fishes its head off at the end of May. Levels are perfect here now so you should have excellent fishing by the end of May. For more info and angling updates see the Trabucco Portobello AC website http://indigo.ie/~colmog.

quote:Originally posted by richard

Hello
Going to Granard with 4 mates at end May. Have been three times now and never done any good.
Too much guiness, and very late starts. Also don't know where to go ???
Any advice gratefully received.
Wondered about Lough Sheelin & Lough Kinale.
Thanks
Richard

Simon R

Site Supporter
I can vouch for Barnagrow - not a lot of big bream but plenty of big skimmers (1lb+) and loads of roach and hybrids.

Best pegs are usually those right at the end of the match stretch (known as the 'bombholes'). If you go past the main car-park and up the hill (about 400yds) you can park alongside a gate. Walk down the field to the lake and turn right, skip the first two pegs you come to and fish the next three or four. You can catch on the feeder, waggler or whip, 50lb weights being not uncommon.

The only problem with these pegs is the walk back up the hill - it's a little on the steep side! - you'll certainly need a Guiness or two to recover[:p]

The lakes around Cootehill are fishing well too, according to Angling Times there was 55lbs from Drumlona Lough and a similar weight from Bairds Shore during the recent Easter Classic.

If you need any more information about the lakes around Cootehill, Ballybay or Shercock let me know

Tight Lines

Simon

vectradog

Richard
Have stayed in the area twice,third time this year.
Sheelin is a fairly large water but fished mainly as a pike and trout venue,Kinale,so we were told has excellent stocks of bream,but you need a boat,no worries,go into Finnae and just over the bridge is Innyside Lodge they are very helpful and will sort you with a boat and info.
It is also worth trying the Inny here as the fish from Kinale come into the river to spawn,bream, roach and tench.
A couple of years ago when the foot and mouth was on we couldnt get to many lakes but bagged up big time of the boat quay.
Also drive up to Lough Gowna there are numerous places to fish there,Bawndora,Dernafest,Cloone Shore,Derries,Church Lake,and an excellent tackle dealer,Florrie.
Try Pikers Lodge, Whites(round the corner) and Fitzpatricks for the black stuff.
We are going on the17 may will let you know more when I get back if its not too late.

Allthe best

Vectradog
(Dave)

Roppa

Hi Richard and welcome to MD. If your timing is correct, without doubt the best place to fish is where the River Inny pours out of Sheelin, fish as close to the bridge as you can get. In April/May you have 6ft of water, of which 4ft is fish. Quality and I mean Quality Roach and Hybrids abound here but only for a few weeks. If you fish for more than 10 minutes without a fish....they've gone. Theres many places to fish along the length of the Inny and of course Derravaragh. But if you don't mind a little travel try Gowna. It's as relaible as anywhere for Irish Bream and it isn't difficult fishing. Put your dates on 'Who's fishing in Ireland this year' you may get to have a pint with one of your fellow maggotdrowners.

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
A BIG WELCOME TO COLMOG, and just add to Roppa's comment on the mouth of the Inny, last year when I went in May it was totally out of the question about ten foot of flood water, so was Garadice, Church and all the rest, we were trying fish over submerged barbed wire fences and five bar gates etc. Local knowledge prevails ask at a tackle shop when you get there !! Roppa I reckon the mouth of the Inny will be devoid of Bream by the end of May, they'll have spawned and gone, I'll bet you a pint on it at Terryglass.!! R U on ??

scales

Vinny
I think last years freak weather in Ireland was absolutely unbelievable especially aroud April/May/June time, this year seems a lot more settled, and for those of us going over this month should see far better catches (and just a little bit of rain).... he says more in hope than anything !!

cheers,

Scales,

Every angler knows his Plaice.

Roppa

I wouldn't bet on it as I agree with you davidsenior that they may well have spawned early, more so when you look at the weather we had in April. That said, there are so many fish arriving and departing there's bound to be a lot not spawned yet and with the weather change, who knows? When you talk of Inny Bay, that usually means the point at which the Inny goes into Lough Ree, thats not where I'm talking about. I mean the point where the River Inny comes out of Sheelin, god! it's good if you catch it 'right'.

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
We are all a load of OPTIMISTS, reading these posts on Ireland doesn't do us any good!!! It just stokes up the fire!! LETS GET AT 'EM. There's only one certainty in Ireland and that is THE GUINNESS DOESNT SPAWN, so we are OK.. I can't wait these next 5 days before I go, I'm taking caravan this year and where I see water to fish I've my "DIGS" with me. First overnight stop is the Royal Canal at Mullingar, I want one of those 3lb plus ROACH, that I know it has........DAYS TO DO ARE GETTING FEW, BUT WHO'S COUNTING......................Me and Roppa .....thats who!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.