advantages of homemade pole rigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

future star

Here fishy fishy
dear forum

i cant understand the advantages of making your own pole rigs?
the ready made ones are reliable and guarenteed to work ,but with homemade ones you could have a weak point in the rig.

i would understand if they were considerably cheaper but the pole floats themselves can be expensive themselves.

could someone help me out here

crowder

The line on ready made pole rigs tends to be a lot less better quality than the line you make your own with, and i don't reckon much to the float either.

I make my own myself, just gives me more peace of mind.

LiamR

there are so many advantages of making your own, i dont think i have ever seen a ready rig use stoz, and they aways use cheap line from abroad. also you will find they use very basic knots on there air rig e.t.c. on a whole they just use the cheapest materials avalibl, but with your own rigs you can hoose te quality depending on your budget and skill :D

future star

Here fishy fishy
yes but i have no idea on what is good quality and what is bad .
up to now i have always bought rigs and thought they preformed well,is it worth taking the time to learn how to make my own rigs

Nemesis

AMBER + BLUE
Originally posted by future star

dear forum

i cant understand the advantages of making your own pole rigs?
the ready made ones are reliable and guarenteed to work ,but with homemade ones you could have a weak point in the rig.

i would understand if they were considerably cheaper but the pole floats themselves can be expensive themselves.

could someone help me out here

I make all my own pole rigs for the waters that i fish.

I have every confidence in the rigs that i make,because i have made them.

I know what line i have used,the float and its shotting,the hook length and the hook.

Thers nothing wrong with shop bought rigs,they have there place,making your own is better because you can make the rig exactly as you want for the water and type of fish you are targeting.

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
Well said Nemesis, I started on pole by using ready made rigs and still own more of these than rigs I have made myself, but over time that will change, and for the exact reasons you just gave :)

groundhog

Life Survivor

yes but i have no idea on what is good quality and what is bad .
up to now i have always bought rigs and thought they preformed well,is it worth taking the time to learn how to make my own rigs
[:)][;)] In a word YES!

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
(1) you get the mix of line / float / depth / hook / weights you need for the venues you fish
(2) you get the best quality components you can afford
(3) you can make up duplicates and variations you dont tend to get with shop bought
(4) when they get tangled, you can easily re-tie
(5) you get the satification of catching on a rig you made yourself
(6) you know who to blame when the knot on the hook fails :)
(7) cost - it works out cheaper
(8) peace and quiet - tying rigs of an evening is a good excuse not to have to talk to SWMBO

Last edited:

future star

Here fishy fishy
thanks guys

could anyone recommend a list of tackle i should get to make pole rigs for doubled up no5 elastic and no10 elastic because from what i know a rig is just float, line,hook,and weight

crowder

For a 10 elastic i would probably use 4lb line straight through.

Depending on the weather, you normally need .1 gram on your float for every foot of depth. Obviously, step up if it is more windy.

Shotting you will get used to, but obviously it varies depending on what type of fishing you are doing.

Hook, a size 16 is pretty universal but again it depends on baits and sizes of fish.

future star

Here fishy fishy
would you need to have a different BS line for your hooklength or does it not matter?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I wouldn't even consider using a rig made by some factory worker in China (or wherever). And can you explain the "guaranteed to work" bit? Mine work. I have won 6 matches this year so they must be OK.

Why should my rigs have weak points and not factory made ones?

I get to chose strength and make of line, hook link strength and hook size/make, float and shotting. And I guarantee that my homemade rigs are cheaper than ready mades. What do you do with the float, hook and shot/olivettes when you have used the rig? Throw them away? I even re-use some of the line for shorter rigs or hooklengths.

I'm now using floats from BGT, 85p each. Hooks get re-used as does olivettes and shot No.6 and bigger. Sorry you can't tell me that a ready made rig is cheaper having to use all new materials each time.

groundhog

Life Survivor
[:)] future star take a look at the link below you may find it enlightening and very helpful. [:T]
http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/104164

Nemesis

AMBER + BLUE

thanks guys

could anyone recommend a list of tackle i should get to make pole rigs for doubled up no5 elastic and no10 elastic because from what i know a rig is just float, line,hook,and weight

have a look here: http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/104164

future star

Here fishy fishy
thanks nemesis that was a great bit of info i will have to make some rigs in the next two weeks for my next match i will tell you how me and my homemade rigs get on!

DGHALL77

Hi Future Star,

I started fishing back in April this year and used Preston ready rigs, had no problems with them, infact they were great. I have in the last 2 weeks started to get a stock of pole floats, rig line, hooks and a stonfo hooktyer (Briliant) ! saw the reccommendation on here.

The reason I did this is because I seem to have ended up with loads of pole floats that I couldn't use any more, so I thought i'd re- use them. I suppose some of them will have week links, but I'll learn as I go along.

I haven't fished with any of my home made ones yet, but just making them gave me great satisfaction.

also IT IS DEFINATLY CHEAPER!

Good luck,
Darren

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Buy Good Tackle http://www.buygoodtackle.com/Floats.html

And no I have no link with the company but I do like their floats.

One other thing. I like to paint my floats with nail varnish before use. You can't do that with ready made rigs.

Last edited:

future star

Here fishy fishy
it looks like i assumed wrong when i said homemades were not much cheaper but now i have realised old floats hooks line etc it seems really cheap and effective

supersuperleeds

would you need to have a different BS line for your hooklength or does it not matter?

I always make my hook length a weaker line than the mainline, that way if I get snapped just the hook length should go. If you put no shot on the hook length and make all your hook lengths the same length, then you can be fishing again very quickly and you don't need to re plumb.

I started with bought rigs, but quickly moved to homemade. Homemade are cheaper to do in the long run and you can set them up exactly how you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.