Advanta

sapperrich

Hi guys, has anybody had any experience with Advanta rods from Angling Direct? I'm looking at their Discovery RVS twin tip 12ft 1.75lb TC, Cheers all.

Browner

Site Supporter
Take a look at “Avon angling Uk“ on YouTube. I think the guy is called Nick. I’m sure he uses one. He has a Facebook site and answers questions very quickly.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Advanta, NTG, Dragon Carp, Avanti.... Run the opposite way on all this off branded rubbish. That's exactly what it is 9/10 times. Spend a few quid more and stick with reliable brands that sell reliable, decent products that're a pleasure to use.

Silver fan 82

Advanta, NTG, Dragon Carp, Avanti.... Run the opposite way on all this off branded rubbish. That's exactly what it is 9/10 times. Spend a few quid more and stick with reliable brands that sell reliable, decent products that're a pleasure to use.
I've not used any Advanta gear but only hear good things about it. If you mean NGT I own some of thier tackle and can't fault it. Do you have any experience of these brands?

John Step

Site Supporter
I use some NGT luggage and have found it good quality especially for the price.
I also have three NGT 4 piece travel carp rods under their banner of Dynamic. At about £40 apiece they were a bargain. Slim high carbon 2.75 rods that pack away to a small space. Great for holidays. They are so good I now use them for all my small water carping and leave them in the quiver as two piece rods. I have used them for about 5 years with no problems and not bragging but I can afford any rod I want not restricted to cost.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Not much wrong with NGT luggage, pouches etc. Have to say that my favourite luggage brand is Korum but I’ve a few NGT pieces that punch above their weight.

Trent_Fisher

Have to disagree with this. I have a pair of the Advanta 2.25lb-2.75lb twin tips and they have been absolutely cracking for me. I use them for fishing the Trent weirs and also for bream/carp on gravel pits.
I also have an Advanta bedchair which only set me back £115 brand new and is outrageously comfortable.

Likewise ive had some terrific cheap NGT gear, particularly tackle boxes, luggage etc.

I agree that Advanta/Dragoncarp are questionable but Advanta do some quality gear.

Silver fan 82

Yep, agree that NGT luggage and rods punch well above thier price range. Can't comment on Advanta but as I said before, I've only heard good things. Can't comment on Dragon Carp.

nejohn

Site Supporter
The Advanta kit for the money is decent, the rods are perfectly usable, OK they can't compete with top end rods but then again they are a fraction of the cost of top end rods, I have one of the float rods that I stash under Kathy's parents caravan for when I visit and I find it perfectly usable and have had some good days at Holgan farm using it, it cost me around £35 so no great loss if some scrote goes under the caravan and claims it, it certainly saves me packing kit everytime we go that might not even be used. Out of the budget kit I would say the Advanta range and the Leeda Concept GT are certainly worth a look and punch above their price tag. We should not get Advanta confused with Avanti the former being generally good budget kit with the later being pretty rubbish

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Don’t think I’ve used any advanta beyond bank sticks and bait boxes (which are perfectly functional) but I have used various bits and bobs of ngt luggage in terms of bags, pouches, wallets boxes etc and they genuinely are pretty good. Have only handled their rods (they’ve always got a massive display at the big one) and whilst the normal rods feel a bit naff their travel rods actually seem pretty good. Their crystal wagglers are pretty rubbish though!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Post deleted... already covered

John Step

Site Supporter
Adding to my previous post. I forgot about an Advanta Bivvy I have. Its not bad for less than a ton. I have noticed some of the fittings and poles look for all the world identical to those on some much more expensive makes.
It would not surprise me to find that many bivvies come from the same maker and the difference is the label.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Adding to my previous post. I forgot about an Advanta Bivvy I have. Its not bad for less than a ton. I have noticed some of the fittings and poles look for all the world identical to those on some much more expensive makes.
It would not surprise me to find that many bivvies come from the same maker and the difference is the label.
And you'd be spot on

sapperrich

And you'd be spot on
Totally agree 9 times out of 10 your paying for the label. A perfect example is a NGT rig box I bought on closer examination I realized it was exactly the same as the guru rig box even down to the orange EVA spools. It was defiantly made by same company and cost a third the price of the Guru!

rudd

Site Supporter
Hi, most of the importers of far east products use buying agents who in turn use the same factories.
Most of the worlds tents/bivvies/ brollies probably made in same few factories - same with most other stuff.
Take 'Giants' bike frame factory in Taiwan - they now make a very high percentage of 'other' brands bike frames + other bike parts.

BUT even though same factories may make these identical goods, they still work to specifications.
Brolley sytem one may be £100 cheaper but it has weaker ribs, 3000mm material and a thin plastic bell/centrepoint.
Brolley system two looks identical but for the extra £100, Ribs are stronger and more flexible and material is 10,000mm hydrostat whilst out side bell is a stronger plastic and centrepoint is machined aluminium.

Simon R

Site Supporter
If anybody has read Roger Surgay's autobiography you'll know how these things are done.
I'm simplifying things here a little but basically he'd send the Chinese a specification for something like a rod-pod and they'd make one and send it back, a few tweaks here and there and he'd be able to buy a product for a fiver, sell it for a tenner and it would be practically identical to the 'name' brand selling for forty quid.
Same as all the other stuff he sold - the Chinese are masters at mass-production - and nowadays much of the work is done by robots, so human error is rarely a factor.
Remember the quiver-tip rod he sold that came with ten tips or the reel with ten spools - it cost very little to add some extra 'bling' (as he called it) - 50p per tip or 25p per spool and he sold thousands of them - mainly because nobody else was doing it. He was also the first retailer to sell a pole with 10 spare top-kits as standard.

As far as Advanta goes I've not purchased any of their products, however I did get a few Stillwater items from Chapmans (who AD bought out) and their gear was excellent. I have no doubt that some of the Stillwater gear will have been rebadged as Advanta.

Similarly Fishing Republic had their own brand too - Thesus - and I've no doubt some of the products they sold will have been reordered and added to the Westlake range that is Go Outdoors own brand.

As Richard Horton (General Manager of the new Fishing Republic) put it:
Obviously 90% of tackle is made in the same factories so it's easy to get an "off the shelf" product which is the same as another brand or similar.

Simon

Don’tTellEmYourName

I have an Advanta x3 float rod and x3 feeder plus one of the heavier twin tip rods. For my level and experience of fishing I'm well pleased with them.

badgerale

I love NGT.

Simple, cost effective, reliable, gear.

It's not the polished, doesn't have the bells and whistles, but it does what you need it to do for very cheap.

Browner

Site Supporter
Totally agree 9 times out of 10 your paying for the label. A perfect example is a NGT rig box I bought on closer examination I realized it was exactly the same as the guru rig box even down to the orange EVA spools. It was defiantly made by same company and cost a third the price of the Guru!
I’m sure the NGT tackle safe is the same as the Korda one. Quite a difference in price from what I remember.