Adding sweetcorn to groundbait

Cobweb

Site Supporter
@Neil ofthe nene @Cobweb
Seeing as you both mentioned it, and having not used corn for a long time, I have been wondering if there any real difference between a tin of Green Giant for example and a tin of XL sweetcorn from Dynamite Baits. Apart from the obvious fact of the price per tin.
I am of course referring to the unflavoured fishing specific corn, is it cooked to make it tougher, do they do anything special with it, or is it just stuck in a tin with a fancy lable with a higher price tag?
I did notice on the tins of Dynamite Baits sweetcorn it says not for human consumption, which leads me to believe it isn't ordinary corn such as Green Giant, but I could be wrong.
I can update @Neil ofthenene with the cost of Jolly Green Giant sweetcorn (post covid) to 50p a small tin - that's for a pack of 4. However even that seemingly pricey amount shrivels when you consider that I only use a small amount during any session (usually) so little waste involved (or recycling via a blender). I don't know what it is about GG's stuff, but it seems to work better than Sainsbury's cheaper own brand

matti

Site Supporter
Generally if I'm going to add sweet corn, I'll liquidise it, and mix it in with the water to get the flavour, but not much feed, then add proper sweet corn as required

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I tried that yesterday but with only a quarter of a tin. I kept getting corn stuck in the 20g drennan cage feeder I was using.
As has been said, once you add particles to groundbait it's hard to remove them.
I've only found it gets stuck for me if I use a grip mesh feeder. But you're right you can't take out what you've put it, so I err on the side of caution and only use it mixed in my groundbait mix mostly for summer Bream fishing. I can see me knocking up something with liquidised corn, molasses etc a proper mix lol.

CarpCatcher86

I can update @Neil ofthenene with the cost of Jolly Green Giant sweetcorn (post covid) to 50p a small tin - that's for a pack of 4. However even that seemingly pricey amount shrivels when you consider that I only use a small amount during any session (usually) so little waste involved (or recycling via a blender). I don't know what it is about GG's stuff, but it seems to work better than Sainsbury's cheaper own brand
50p for a small tin? The Dynamite Baits XL corn is £2 a tin :mad: Me thinks I'm being shafted.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
I tend to shy away from flavoured and or coloured sweetcorn because I think it's a con.
Personally I am a firm believer that flavoured baits catch more fishermen than fish.
I don't think all flavourings work but some certainly do.
Try the red Sweetcorn. I used a quarter of a cap of Queen Pink Food Colour (50ml Btl) to turn a can of Sweetcorn red.
Your hands will be red using it but it will wash off :upthumb:

TonyA

Site Supporter
I add cornflour to my feeder mix if I'm using sweetcorn as bait. I prefer not to add whole sweetcorn to my mix as it often causes the mix to break up too early.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
50p for a small tin? The Dynamite Baits XL corn is £2 a tin :mad: Me thinks I'm being shafted.
Sorry- badly explained that's £2 for 4 tins- and an increased price from the days before Covid. I only use one small tin at time usually and mainly as hookbait

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Still cheaper than the Dynamite stuff.
TBH I've never tried the Dynamite stuff, as I haven't got past purloining my bait from the food cupboard indoors, or picking it up when at the supermarket shopping for other stuff. Is it pretty hot stuff? (metaphorically speaking)

CarpCatcher86

TBH I've never tried the Dynamite stuff, as I haven't got past purloining my bait from the food cupboard indoors, or picking it up when at the supermarket shopping for other stuff. Is it pretty hot stuff? (metaphorically speaking)
I don't know what the difference is between the Dynamite corn and Green Giant. Probably just price but I could be wrong.

Silver fan 82

I don't know what the difference is between the Dynamite corn and Green Giant. Probably just price but I could be wrong.
IME there is no difference. Its probably the same stuff in a tin with a logo on it, over priced to catch us anglers. I used the Sonubaits corn and had absolutely the same results as I would have done if I had bought a can of corn from Happy Shopper.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I used to only use freshona, then on a visit to whiteacres I bought a crate of the cheapest corn in the white tins from morrisons, didn't use a lot.
Took the rest on matches when I got home and had a really good run using it, coincidence or not, I never buy anything but the cheapest tinned now.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I used to only use freshona, then on a visit to whiteacres I bought a crate of the cheapest corn in the white tins from morrisons, didn't use a lot.
Took the rest on matches when I got home and had a really good run using it, coincidence or not, I never buy anything but the cheapest tinned now.
Thanks. I go to Morrisons regularly so I'll get a few tins to try