Adding sweetcorn to groundbait

CarpCatcher86

I'm a little confused right now when it comes to adding sweetcorn or other particles to groundbait. All kinds of mixed reviews online don't make things any easier.
To be honest you would have thought I would have got the hang of this fishing caper after 30 years of fishing. But as they say, you never stop learning.
Is it best to add whole grains of sweetcorn to groundbait, maybe using the juice from the tin as well as water to mix the groundbait, or is it better to add liquidised sweetcorn, juice and all to groundbait? Also do any of you add hempseed (with or without juice) or any other particles to groundbait, or just those you plan to use on the hook?
I'm shying away from pellets right now as the fish seem to have no interest in them on a few of my club waters. A few fish have been caught on pellet, mainly silvers regardless of whether you use float or feeder tactics. So sweetcorn it is right now as it seems to be the only thing the fish don't shy away from.
I fished one water this afternoon and caught my first carp ever from that particular water, closely followed by my second, which were also my first two carp on the feeder.
Not a method I have fished a lot over the years to be honest, but I thought it was well worth giving it a go none the less.
Both carp were caught on a combination of Dynamite Baits competition bagging mix and XL sweetcorn. A triumph you may think, sadly not as they were the only two fish I caught in 6 hours. Not exactly what I had in mind to be honest but a learning curve none the less. The last time I tried the feeder on the same water I added 4mm Dynamite Baits XL carp pellets and couldn't catch anything but roach skimmers and the odd bream. Not that many of either I must add. Hopefully things will improve over the next few weeks.
Either way I intend to crack this venue before moving on to another.
Looking forward to reading what you guys think.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Oddly enough I've not done very well on sweetcorn lately....don't think I've had a bite on it. My mate has been fishing the next peg & has been catching roach, Ide & the odd carp all on corn. I've been fishing soft pellet but catching more carp, crucians & tench than him. If I switch to corn, I get nothing.

I also very rarely use groundbait although the last couple of sessions, I have tried cupping a few balls in. Don't know if it's made a massive difference but I've caught fish so it hasn't done any harm. I don't think adding the juice will do any harm at all, same with hemp. I've never tried liquidising the corn so maybe others can advise.

TRFC2000

Site Supporter
Suppose i am old school when i use groundbait or method feeder which is not very often i always use liquidised sweetcorn never mix whole grains in though my person preference no science behind it lols sweetcorn is one of my go to baits specially now most people fish pellets

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I often add a small amount of Sweetcorn and Hemp (or the water from it) to the groundbait mix, more for my own peace of mind than anything else. I feel a little more confident when fishing so it's not all bad. Seem to get a better stamp of fish.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I feed liquidised corn all the time for my bream, skimmer and roach sessions, I use a food chopper, with a puller cord, 1 tin of corn, gets 2 or 3 pulls on the cord, to get the size of corn I require, I chop 4or 5 tins up, add some scopex and banoffee liquid, so it’s bright yellow and smells really sweet, then add a small amount every chuck, with some dead reds, in the feeder,, then fish a corn skin on the hook, ive caught roach to well over a pound an a half on the drop, with this method 👍👍👍👍

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I use sweetcorn as hookbait for my bream sessions and some Sonubaits bream mix (amongst other stuff breadcrumb a little 2mm pellet & corn). I find the Jolly Green Giant the best - tried others not so good

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
There are no rules. Add what you like to your groundbait, or nothing at all.

As for pellets, I am still catching best on 2mm expanders on my club lake. Strange as the water has now got to over eleven degrees. A time I would expect 4mm and corn to work.

If I try corn it is a small grain or just skin. No need for buying expensive bait branded corn.

rudd

Site Supporter
Adding any free bait to groundbait depends on what you are trying to achieve.
Once added you have no control on amount of freebies going into peg.
If putting out a bed for bream or a long session it makes sense to put freebies in.

For short sessions or for more control - make ground bait up, plug one end of feeder, add required freebies, plug other end.
Corn can fill fish up quickly and in your scenario would use the add to feeder method.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My standard river ground bait mixes for float and feeder will always have maggot and hemp in with some of the hemp juice added to the water used to mix it. The hemp tends to go in when I mix it then I add the maggot as I make the balls or fill the feeder so I can regulate how many go in although sometimes I do that with the hemp as well. Sometimes I'll add a few grains of corn to a feeder mix (plus some of the juice) as I think it adds a bit of a visual attention grabber and can sometimes allow you to sneak a bonus fish out with corn on the hook. I don't tend to ground bait on stillwaters often but when I do I tend to just add maggots but will add hemp as well on the more natural styles ones.

Last edited:

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Adding any free bait to groundbait depends on what you are trying to achieve.
Once added you have no control on amount of freebies going into peg.
If putting out a bed for bream or a long session it makes sense to put freebies in.

For short sessions or for more control - make ground bait up, plug one end of feeder, add required freebies, plug other end.
Corn can fill fish up quickly and in your scenario would use the add to feeder method.
Your comment on filling fish with corn is interesting. Others have said that as corn is mainly water fish don't fill up on it and you can feed loads without worry.

I have no opinion either way.

Browner

Site Supporter
Your comment on filling fish with corn is interesting. Others have said that as corn is mainly water fish don't fill up on it and you can feed loads without worry.

I have no opinion either way.
Corn is very un-digestible to humans so guess it’s the same for fish so can see the logic in filling them up.

RMNDIL

As NOTN - there are no rules. Personally I add corn or whatever with water drained off as I have already got the g'bait mix how I want it and don't want to alter it's consistency & behaviour. Chopped worm is a slight exception so the g'bait needs to be mixed on the drier side to allow for the juice

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I used to use Iceland frozen corn in my mix and JGG on the hook. Plundered many an Attenborough bream shoal on this mix 👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I like the visual side of adding a tin of corn whole to groundbait as well as it's adding particles for fish to grub around for. I do it quite usually for different species even when I don't use Corn on the hook. Had never really though about liquidising it but that's an idea.

CarpCatcher86

I like the visual side of adding a tin of corn whole to groundbait as well as it's adding particles for fish to grub around for. I do it quite usually for different species even when I don't use Corn on the hook. Had never really though about liquidising it but that's an idea.
I tried that yesterday but with only a quarter of a tin. I kept getting corn stuck in the 20g drennan cage feeder I was using.
As has been said, once you add particles to groundbait it's hard to remove them.

CarpCatcher86

@Neil ofthe nene @Cobweb
Seeing as you both mentioned it, and having not used corn for a long time, I have been wondering if there any real difference between a tin of Green Giant for example and a tin of XL sweetcorn from Dynamite Baits. Apart from the obvious fact of the price per tin.
I am of course referring to the unflavoured fishing specific corn, is it cooked to make it tougher, do they do anything special with it, or is it just stuck in a tin with a fancy lable with a higher price tag?
I did notice on the tins of Dynamite Baits sweetcorn it says not for human consumption, which leads me to believe it isn't ordinary corn such as Green Giant, but I could be wrong.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
@Neil ofthe nene @Cobweb
Seeing as you both mentioned it, and having not used corn for a long time, I have been wondering if there any real difference between a tin of Green Giant for example and a tin of XL sweetcorn from Dynamite Baits. Apart from the obvious fact of the price per tin.
I am of course referring to the unflavoured fishing specific corn, is it cooked to make it tougher, do they do anything special with it, or is it just stuck in a tin with a fancy lable with a higher price tag?
I did notice on the tins of Dynamite Baits sweetcorn it says not for human consumption, which leads me to believe it isn't ordinary corn such as Green Giant, but I could be wrong.
I can only say that my 25 or 35p tin of "value" corn catches me enough fish without my having to explore the wonders of branded corn of any description. Be that Bait or food brand.