Adding birdseed into groundbait?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I know that a lot of big carp anglers add bird seed into their spod mix, But do any pole / feeder fisherman here add birdseed to their groundbait on smaller waters to keep the fish around a lot longer? Is it worth doing? I went into Home Bargains today and noticed they're selling 12kg of mixed seed for only £4.00. Being someone who likes to skimp as much as possible when it comes to baits it seemed like a great deal to add into groundbait instead of adding pellets as I usually do. They don't look too filling either.

Anybody here do it?

bryanh

Site Supporter
Yeah I know people use boiled hemp, But that's way more expensive than mixed birdseed at £4/12kg as a filler to groundbait.
They also do a 1.7kg pack for 99p; if it works,fine if not you haven't wasted your money on a 12kg bag -although the birds will obviously thank you for it:)

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
They also do a 1.7kg pack for 99p; if it works,fine if not you haven't wasted your money on a 12kg bag -although the birds will obviously thank you for it:)

Oh, do they? I haven't come across any smaller bags in there yet, then again I usually only hit the candy + booze section for their cheap craft beer. Only reason I saw the 12kg bags is because it was in the doorway.

When I first started up my original plan was to use birdseed as a cheap filler to groundbait, though I never actually bought any. If I can't find any of those .99p bags I think I'll just pick up the 12kg. Worst comes to worst, It sucks but the birds will feast well for the next few months.

bryanh

Site Supporter
Yeah, they must have a standard store layout policy, my local HB store (Hamilton) also stick the 12kg bags at the entrance but the smaller bags tend to be in the pet food section.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Oh, do they? I haven't come across any smaller bags in there yet, then again I usually only hit the candy + booze section for their cheap craft beer. Only reason I saw the 12kg bags is because it was in the doorway.

When I first started up my original plan was to use birdseed as a cheap filler to groundbait, though I never actually bought any. If I can't find any of those .99p bags I think I'll just pick up the 12kg. Worst comes to worst, It sucks but the birds will feast well for the next few months.
Will come in handy for the "fur and feather" matches.

Simon R

Site Supporter
If it's anything like the seed they sell as Pigeon Mix in larger pet stores and farm shops it'll need soaking before use for two reasons
Firstly it swells up by about 50% - some of the seeds will also become a lot softer
Secondly - and again depending on the exact mix - some of it will float when dry

Soak it for at least 24 hours - or if in a hurry cover in boiling water for at least an hour

I've used the pigeon mix for pre-bait in Ireland a couple of times - not convinced it did a lot of good, but it also didn't appear to do any harm
Be careful where you store any soaked mix - it'll start to ferment and will blow the lid off a snap top dustbin as we found out when the owner of our guesthouse greeted us with brushes and dustpans after covering the tackle shed with damp seed :p :p

Simon

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
If it's anything like the seed they sell as Pigeon Mix in larger pet stores and farm shops it'll need soaking before use for two reasons
Firstly it swells up by about 50% - some of the seeds will also become a lot softer
Secondly - and again depending on the exact mix - some of it will float when dry

Soak it for at least 24 hours - or if in a hurry cover in boiling water for at least an hour

I've used the pigeon mix for pre-bait in Ireland a couple of times - not convinced it did a lot of good, but it also didn't appear to do any harm
Be careful where you store any soaked mix - it'll start to ferment and will blow the lid off a snap top dustbin as we found out when the owner of our guesthouse greeted us with brushes and dustpans after covering the tackle shed with damp seed :p :p

Simon

You're probably right, It won't make any difference haha. I'm just thinking about keeping the fish rooting around in the groundbait for goodies for longer, And the seed is an extremely cheap filler to do that. Ill be certain to let it soak overnight when I grab some and I guess I'll see how things go.

I went onto Youtube and a guy was boiling his then adding small amounts of strawberry jelly, It gave the seed a really sticky like consistency and obviously smelt good. Might give that a go too!

scales

Vinny
I use the H+B bird seed have done for years I cover it with boiling water in my cooler box for 24 hours and it's ready to use. I put what I need in a resealable bag and freeze the rest in bags (I always cook too much)
Use it as you would casters by plugging it in your feeder, the fish move in on it I've even hair rigged 3 grains and had bream many times on it (y)

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
You're probably right, It won't make any difference haha. I'm just thinking about keeping the fish rooting around in the groundbait for goodies for longer, And the seed is an extremely cheap filler to do that.

If all you want is a cheap filler, go for wheat. 25Kg should be around the 7-8 quid mark. Flashing over with boiling water and leaving it overnight is all the prep required. If you've got more time, just leaving it to steep in cold water for a few days will do the job.

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Remember cheaper the bird food the more chaff and dust etc which may sour the water or cause a scum .

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
You can use allsorts of prepared particles but the only attraction point in most of them other than hemp,is visual so they add little in the way of scent which is how all cyprinids find their food as opposed to Perch or Trout that hunt much more by vision as well as scent.
To combat this various flavours and dyes can be used with good effect on something cheap and basic like groats for example which will attract fish better than plain undefined seeds a lot of which may float or remain hard and uncooked risking causing damage to fish internally when they swell in the gut.
If you want them to work like pellet does they wont because pellets attract at more levels than seeds do but once fish find them and identify them as food they will happily mop them up.

rudd

Site Supporter
You can use allsorts of prepared particles but the only attraction point in most of them other than hemp,is visual so they add little in the way of scent which is how all cyprinids find their food as opposed to Perch or Trout that hunt much more by vision as well as scent.
To combat this various flavours and dyes can be used with good effect on something cheap and basic like groats for example which will attract fish better than plain undefined seeds a lot of which may float or remain hard and uncooked risking causing damage to fish internally when they swell in the gut.
If you want them to work like pellet does they wont because pellets attract at more levels than seeds do but once fish find them and identify them as food they will happily mop them up.
This is the case with alot of particles but there is one mix that works a treat giving off loads of attraction if prepared correctly.
Partiblend.
Soak it, cook it then let it ferment until it gives off a white milky substance which is the natural sugars.
Its a very versatile mix, I have used corn/maize/plastics over it for Tench and carp, chickpeas over it for big roach, plugged in a feeder, spodded, catapulted as loose feed (close range), mixed in bulk with crumb for bream and for prebaiting swims

The Ginger Bread Man

Robin Red is still one of the best additives you can add to your mix. It contains spices, paprika, pimento, sugars, oils, red peppers, bird seeds among other ingredients and carp love it.