Acorn fishery

Joe C

Site Supporter
After receiving various bits of advice from @chefster and @Maesknoll (who is a venue expert here) due to struggling last time I visited Acorn, I decided to head back with a different approach today.

I decided after spending so much time feeder fishing recently, to have a day on the waggler.
Bait wise I had a pint of mixed maggot, half a pint of caster and a tub of worm, plus a bag of sonubaits f1 dark and thatchers pro.

I plumbed up, the match lake here is a pretty typical snake lake, so a near and far shelf which gently slopes off into the middle track (that’s what I think my plummet showed anyway.)

I started off fishing at the bottom of the far shelf spraying in about 10 maggots every 2 or 3 minutes, started to get a few knocks but it wasn’t really “right” managed a couple of skimmers in two hours, so I started feeding and fishing a line down the track. Couldn’t make this work, no liners, nothing.

At 1pm after about 3 hours of fishing I decided to move pegs. Replumbed and Started again at the bottom of the far shall, nothing again! So I started again loosefeeding maggots down the track, still nothing.

Part of the experiment today was to see if groundbait made much of a difference to my fishing, so at this point I mixed some up, 3/4 f1 dark to 1/4 thatchers.

I was almost shocked to find what a difference it made, the response was almost instant. First fish to come onto it was a beautiful little roach (I think it’s a roach anyway, the colours felt slightly off - pictured below.) Had a couple more skimmers and the line went funny again.

I decided to start throwing little nuggets of groundbait to the bottom of the far shelf and fish there again. A few more skimmers and then the big boys moved in, whilst I predominantly fish for silvers, the carp are in such beautiful condition here that they were a pleasure to catch.

All in all a great days fishing, thanks to Chefster and Maesknoll for their help!

Attachments

• 80A676AF-E344-4F0F-9943-FA42442502C1.jpeg
    80A676AF-E344-4F0F-9943-FA42442502C1.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DE75006F-9FED-408A-99AD-28735BC37D9F.jpeg
    DE75006F-9FED-408A-99AD-28735BC37D9F.jpeg
    856 KB · Views: 11

Total

Site Supporter
@Joe C .....Well done Joe, you should be encouraged by your results and convictions especially when moving swims....The addition of groundbait as you found out today can be that instant and the mix you used is a particular favourite of mine (mixing ratios change throughout the year)

Chris put me onto Pro Thatchers a while back and with the addition of leam in the cooler months it really was a game changer for me.....(y)

Joe C

Site Supporter
@Joe C .....Well done Joe, you should be encouraged by your results and convictions especially when moving swims....The addition of groundbait as you found out today can be that instant and the mix you used is a particular favourite of mine (mixing ratios change throughout the year)

Chris put me onto Pro Thatchers a while back and with the addition of leam in the cooler months it really was a game changer for me.....(y)
I’ve watched lots of Des Shipps YouTube stuff recently, I’ll be honest I was sceptical that stuff like this is made to catch anglers rather than fish, after yesterday I’m very happy to admit I’m wrong!

Total

Site Supporter
I’ve watched lots of Des Shipps YouTube stuff recently, I’ll be honest I was sceptical that stuff like this is made to catch anglers rather than fish, after yesterday I’m very happy to admit I’m wrong!
I think it's important to remember Joe (if I may say) that this groundbait as good as it is isn't always the answer and is just one part of a complex puzzle when we angle....(y).....But when something does work or a plan comes together it's very satisfying.....;)

Joe C

Site Supporter
I think it's important to remember Joe (if I may say) that this groundbait as good as it is isn't always the answer and is just one part of a complex puzzle when we angle....(y).....But when something does work or a plan comes together it's very satisfying.....;)
yes, piecing the puzzle together is what keeps me on the bank 😃

WickerDave

A nice report, well done on catching (y). It is a pale roach, they do vary in colour from water to water and fish to fish from the same water.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds like a challenging day so well done for finding them in the end 👍🏻

Feeding nuggets of ground bait like that does seem to work quite well some places

Joe C

Site Supporter
Sounds like a challenging day so well done for finding them in the end 👍🏻

Feeding nuggets of ground bait like that does seem to work quite well some places
I watched Joe Carass do it on a commercial silverfish YouTube clip. He explained that on small commercials he finds it’s a great approach. He looks at it as “the fish are there, you want to fish for bites using little nuggets rather than big balls of groundbait to attract them from somewhere else.”

Joe C

Site Supporter
Well done Joe, glad you had a good day and managed to work a few things out 👍👍🎣🎣🎣
Thanks mucker, sorry to read you had a hard session, sounds like you did best in the lake though so take the little victories I guess 😀

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
He looks at it as “the fish are there, you want to fish for bites using little nuggets rather than big balls of groundbait to attract them from somewhere else.”
Yeah that's the reason I do it, can be like flicking a switch when it works 👍🏻 only started doing it on a commercial this
year but I've done it a lot on more natural style lakes and rivers. Tend to ball at the start to pull them in then top up with nuggets to get their interest back if it wanes.

Joe C

Site Supporter
Yeah that's the reason I do it, can be like flicking a switch when it works 👍🏻 only started doing it on a commercial this
year but I've done it a lot on more natural style lakes and rivers. Tend to ball at the start to pull them in then top up with nuggets to get their interest back if it wanes.
From what I understand balling in is vital on a stretch of river?
I drew next to Lee Edwards once on the Bristol Avon in my very short lived match career, I gave up half way through and watched him for the rest of the match, he won it with 30lb of roach, explained to me that he put ALOT of groundbait in at the start.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well done, thinking of going down there myself tomorrow. Balling in on a commercial will usually have one of two outcomes, you’ll kill it stone dead, or you’ll have a peg full of carp.

Groundbait definitely works on Acorn and apart from the very cold months will always draw in carp, as they are the dominant species - in manner and numbers. You can put it in in the margins and loads of carp showing themselves, but they are almost impossible to catch in the margins once they come over groundbait.

It’s worth feeding a line short, just at the end of your rod, as later in the day the fish will come over that, especially from this time of year onwards.

Joe C

Site Supporter
Well done, thinking of going down there myself tomorrow. Balling in on a commercial will usually have one of two outcomes, you’ll kill it stone dead, or you’ll have a peg full of carp.

Groundbait definitely works on Acorn and apart from the very cold months will always draw in carp, as they are the dominant species - in manner and numbers. You can put it in in the margins and loads of carp showing themselves, but they are almost impossible to catch in the margins once they come over groundbait.

It’s worth feeding a line short, just at the end of your rod, as later in the day the fish will come over that, especially from this time of year onwards.
I really like the place mate, owners seem like lovely people as well. Looking forward to trying to fish for some of the quality tench that live there when it warms up, thanks again for the advice.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
From what I understand balling in is vital on a stretch of river?
I drew next to Lee Edwards once on the Bristol Avon in my very short lived match career, I gave up half way through and watched him for the rest of the match, he won it with 30lb of roach, explained to me that he put ALOT of groundbait in at the start.
It’s not essential everywhere sometimes you can catch well on just loose feed alone but yeah on most days you do need to kick it off with a few balls. Not really sure what the done thing is but I go with anything from a couple to a handful of balls depending on the swim, time of year etc.

30lb is a hell of a weight of roach! I might have got within few pounds of that on a Stillwater once but my river best would probably be a pound or two over 20. He seems a really good angler. Remember watching the old internationals they used to do the day after fishomania and he’d be one of the few to compete with the English team. More recently seen bits of him in riverfest finals as well and whilst that’s only highlight videos you can still see he really knows what he’s doing.

Joe C

Site Supporter
It’s not essential everywhere sometimes you can catch well on just loose feed alone but yeah on most days you do need to kick it off with a few balls. Not really sure what the done thing is but I go with anything from a couple to a handful of balls depending on the swim, time of year etc.

30lb is a hell of a weight of roach! I might have got within few pounds of that on a Stillwater once but my river best would probably be a pound or two over 20. He seems a really good angler. Remember watching the old internationals they used to do the day after fishomania and he’d be one of the few to compete with the English team. More recently seen bits of him in riverfest finals as well and whilst that’s only highlight videos you can still see he really knows what he’s doing.
He told me everything he was doing and why, I just got the feeling that he could be ass on all of his knowledge and I would never have his level of intuition when it comes to decision making whilst fishing.
Seemed a lovely bloke though!

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I really like the place mate, owners seem like lovely people as well. Looking forward to trying to fish for some of the quality tench that live there when it warms up, thanks again for the advice.
Yes, they are nice people if you see Mark, he’ll always offer advice, he is a top carp angler, as well as decent at match style fishing.

Total

Site Supporter
Yes, they are nice people if you see Mark, he’ll always offer advice, he is a top carp angler, as well as decent at match style fishing.
^^:).......Why thank you for the kind compliments Chris!;):love::ROFLMAO:

Joe C

Site Supporter
I actually met him yesterday as he was doing some work, seemed really helpful! I’ve also chatted to Zoe a fair bit before as I’m also a hairdresser so we had the same things to moan about. 😂