Acolyte replacement

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
It probably was my fault, never happened to
Me with another rod but I am quite heavy handed. I had a wrap around the tip, so I shipped the rod back like it was a pole and the mid section snapped. I’m guessing the weight of the handle/reel was too much load.

Like I said, my fault, just never happened to me with any other rod. I need to learn to be more careful!

I tend to overanalyse things and read on a post that someone else’s mid section had exploded. Maybe I’m being a bit overzealous in stating it’s a “known fault.”
Apologies
Sorry to hear that Joe, I know from experience it’s hard not to beat yourself up when something like that happens. As others have said - get in touch with Drennan and see what they can arrange. Even if you have to pay for a repair, you’ll save a very nice rod and money on buying a replacement 👍

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I have had quite a few carp on my ultra on commercials in recent weeks and been ok but I certainly wouldn’t be using it on them once the water warms and gets them more lively as I’d spend more time playing fish than fishing 😅
Yep! Been there - that's why I bought the TD p/w rod a while back. Love my Ultra float rod which I use for silvers. A difficult job beating that for value and performance

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yep! Been there - that's why I bought the TD p/w rod a while back. Love my Ultra float rod which I use for silvers. A difficult job beating that for value and performance
Yep be surprised if there’s a better silvers rod out there as just does the job perfectly for me 👍🏻

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I've shipped back every rod I've owned like that, can't see that being your fault unless these rods are very brittle.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've shipped back every rod I've owned like that, can't see that being your fault unless these rods are very brittle.
Does seem an interesting way of doing it, but if the reel was bouncing around whilst being shipped back I guess it could put strain on the rod in ways a fish pulling wouldn’t so could compromise it. It’s something I was taught not to do on light rods from day one. They are very light rods, you get a good bend off a quarter pound fish on them lol

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Reading forums and watching folks fishing for many years leaves me with the overwhelming feeling that lots of people expect to be able to treat rods in ways that I would consider to be outright abuse. Pulling for breaks with a rod bent double, Holding the rod and line and pulling to (over) flex the rod tip at stupid angles, laying rods/reels down on rock, concrete, gravel and sand, lifting a rod by anything but the handle and putting joints of sections down on muck. All things I see (or see talked about) on a regular basis. All things that I would consider to be abuse.

Unless the butt is supported, you are playing a dangerous game doing this with any rod at the lighter end of the spectrum.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
It does sound like holding the rod by the middle section, with the weight of the butt and the reel caused this failure. When a big fish is on, the stresses are distributed through the whole rod, but, holding it like that was obviously too much for such a delicate rod. We all make mistakes and learn from them.I certainly wouldn't give up on the rod though. I would try and source a new section from a Drennan dealer.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
All Drennan rod breakages are dealt with the same way.
Return the broken section to the shop that sold it to you with your details, Drennan arrange a courier collection from the shop, they inspect the broken section for faults and send a replacement section back to the shop either FOC or chargeable depending on their findings.
I think we may have used the service 4 or 5 times in the last 4 years and its always been completed in a week if the section required is in stock.

davepellet

I honestly don't know what you lot do with rods... I have never broken a rod or pole section other than by booting a section of one particular pole when trying to step over it, user error and lesson leaned!

I have a 13ft acolyte ultra & have fed it back as you describe to attend to tip wraps many times, and it's never felt like it was gonna break though, so fragile & brittle are two words I would not use to describe them

One other point to mention...
Every single section of every single Acolyte* undergoes a very rigorous quality test before it is released, and believe me, they will fail an item of tackle for the tiniest flaw that the average angler would never even notice... so I would doubt there was any manufacturing fault

(* I know they used to test every section of all their rod & pole ranges, but I don't know if that's still the case, but I would like to assume so)

Decb

I dont think the mid section going is a known fault takes some doing that on any rod. Early on a few tips went then it miraculously stopped happening. Drennan claimed they hadn't changed them so either they did and kept it quiet or people were too heavy handed with them not being used to proper silvers rods. Never heard of a mid section going.

Anyway all that said its a lot cheaper to get a new section than a whole new rod. Generally easy to get replacement tips for most rods and whilst a mid section might be more difficult I'd try that route first.
Mine broke right in the middle and I have no idea how. Took it out of my rod bag and it was broken right in the middle. A clean Break. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Somersetlad

It's unlikely to be a manufacturing fault, but carbon rods are easily damaged, they are designed to be held at the handle by the reel with a fish attached to the thin end. Either get your local dealer to order a replacement section, or get it repaired. I was very pleasantly surprised, when I snapped the tip of my long out of production DRX (no spares available) that after it had been repaired it was just as good, no obvious flat spot in the action and hardly any difference in weight, and even better the repair only cost £15.

PeteC

I've got a 17' Acolyte and it's a cracking stick float rod.... I was going to get a 15' model too but tried the 15' ultra and plus alongside the 14' versions and found the 14' ultra to be perfect for silvers the way I fish.

I really find it hard to comprehend how anyone can 'break' a rod unless they are asking it to do something beyond its design parameters... I've got a Normark Krypton amongst other rods that I've been using for the last 25 years and they are all still in one piece despite, at times, being attached inadvertently to some very large and unhappy fish...!

Rods are generally designed for a specific application of pressure and i suspect its sudden jolts or pressure in the wrong areas that has caused the problems...or maybe I just treat my tackle with kid gloves, who knows.. 🤔

Abramis brama

Another snapped tip to share - Acolyte ultra plus 13ft compact, only used it three times and snapped near the end. Looked like the carbon very brittle. First rod break in 50 years of fishing and my first try of Drennan rods. It is out of warrantee but eating to hear back from Drennan.

Reuben

Site Supporter
How can you tell if the ‘carbon very brittle’? I broke the tip on mine - last 3ins - my fault entirely as I gave the line a yank on tackling up in a rush. The angle I placed on the tip broke it. People shouldn’t STILL be blaming The manufacturers or the range because of their own mistakes. If it’s still an issue & people are aware of it then don’t buy the bloody rod! Pretty simple really……

Garbolino

Site Supporter
I hope you get sorted through Drennan Joe C.

Should it be the case you don't and you are obliged to for a float rod have a look at the Cadence CR10 range and read the reviews - I did and recently bought one. Take it from me they are beautiful rods.