Acolyte replacement

Joe C

Site Supporter
My acolyte ultra middle section has gone bye bye. I have seen on the forum that it is a known fault.

Any recommendations for a similar rod in the same price range?

baggy

Mark Saunders
I would contact your local shop and ask them to speak to the drennan rep

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My acolyte ultra middle section has gone bye bye. I have seen on the forum that it is a known fault.

I dont think the mid section going is a known fault takes some doing that on any rod. Early on a few tips went then it miraculously stopped happening. Drennan claimed they hadn't changed them so either they did and kept it quiet or people were too heavy handed with them not being used to proper silvers rods. Never heard of a mid section going.

Anyway all that said its a lot cheaper to get a new section than a whole new rod. Generally easy to get replacement tips for most rods and whilst a mid section might be more difficult I'd try that route first.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
float sorry!
Not had a problem with mine so far and had it for around 3 years, but Drennan are usually pretty good at support. If you bought the rod through a tackle shop, they will be able to contact their local rep for advice. Drennan may ask for the section to be returned for analysis, definitely so if it were a recent purchase. As for an alternative - Daiwa's Connoisseur range may be worth a look if it comes to that. I've always used either Daiwa or Drennan float rods so I'm limited in my knowledge

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Like @Silverfisher I also use my Ultra for silverfish. If I'm fishing float on commercials with F1's or carp in mind I use my Daiwa TDM p/w extra power float rod. Drennan's Acolyte Plus float rods were recommended to me for commercials by my local tackle shop

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Like @Silverfisher I also use my Ultra for silverfish. If I'm fishing float on commercials with F1's or carp in mind I use my Daiwa TDM p/w extra power float rod. Drennan's Acolyte Plus float rods were recommended to me for commercials by my local tackle shop
I have had quite a few carp on my ultra on commercials in recent weeks and been ok but I certainly wouldn’t be using it on them once the water warms and gets them more lively as I’d spend more time playing fish than fishing 😅

rudd

Site Supporter

Can you give more detail in what has failed and how?

Did it snap, shatter, get crushed?
Were you playing a fish, casting or putting it away/setting up?
For all we know you trapped it in the car boot when closing it 😵

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Now that is quite comical after all the shinning recommendations for acolyte its a known fault that they snap lmfao .
Except it's not a known fault. As I said above people were breaking tips when they first came out but you'll do well to find many examples of it in say the last 3 years or so. So either they fixed a problem or initially people were just heavy handed with them. And it was tips not mid sections, takes some serious effort to break a mid section on any rod unless you crush it!

rudd

Site Supporter
Except it's not a known fault. As I said above people were breaking tips when they first came out but you'll do well to find many examples of it in say the last 3 years or so. So either they fixed a problem or initially people were just heavy handed with them. And it was tips not mid sections, takes some serious effort to break a mid section on any rod unless you crush it!
Most breakages of anything are generally user fault - apart from paper straws with a McDonalds thickshake😜

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Most breakages of anything are generally user fault - apart from paper straws with a McDonalds thickshake😜
Very true, certainly every rod I've ever broke has been mine or someone else's fault, can't think of any where the rod was to blame.

chris1967

Site Supporter
Too true i'd like a sphere pole ,but in my hands i'd give it a week before i was in tears

lliopp

Site Supporter
It's a fault known to me. I broke a 13 ft ultra mid section sinking the line whilst waggler fishing. Not managed to do that with any of the many other rods I've used in nearly 50 years of fishing.

Joe C

Site Supporter
It probably was my fault, never happened to
Me with another rod but I am quite heavy handed. I had a wrap around the tip, so I shipped the rod back like it was a pole and the mid section snapped. I’m guessing the weight of the handle/reel was too much load.

Like I said, my fault, just never happened to me with any other rod. I need to learn to be more careful!

I tend to overanalyse things and read on a post that someone else’s mid section had exploded. Maybe I’m being a bit overzealous in stating it’s a “known fault.”
Apologies

nejohn

Site Supporter
Always said they felt to soft in the middle section 😉
Seriously though I would get in touch with drennan if you can not pin it down to something you gave done.
However if like me you will probably not have confidence in the rod once you have experienced something like that so you may be looking for other options, if you were looking to spend a similar amount I would certainly recommend a Maver Signature pro and possibly a Matrix Horizon Pro (unfortunately due to the horizon Pro coming out during lockdown I have not seen one but they look promising). If you want to go a step further then a Rive R waggler would be a good choice, it is more expensive than an acolyte but it is lighter and crisper actioned. Another possibility is the Tri-cast excellence or one of the top end Daiwa's which are very nicely balanced and have good all round actions but you will find they are a touch heavier than other rods. But like always I will say if you are spending that sort of cash wait until you can get out and try a few as what might suit me nay not suit you

Reuben

Site Supporter
Get a replacement from Drennan. I broke the top section of my Acolyte Plus float rod - totally my fault - & got a replacement for £60. It’ll need to be ordered through a Drennan stockist & delivered there.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have a 17' Acolyte and imagine a similar thing could happen to me if I get a wrap around. I'll have to be careful as that's a lot of rod to ship behind you.