Acolyte feeder rod

duudiz

Stream stalker
Morning all, tempted to press GO and order a 10ft Acolyte plus feeder rod today.

90% of my fishing is done with a 10ft Shakespeare Leger rod, which has been great paired to an okuma reel. I am after a rod+reel combo to replace this set up as my main ‘go to’ - I have started fishing rivers again this year and want a rod with finesse but the backbone to tackle the barbel and the odd carp fishing a pool.

I am pretty set on the rod and think the plus would be a better bet as this would be my main rig. What reel would you suggest? And also the absolute best line possible for mainly feeder fishing the rivers.

Bonus question - can anybody recommend a good rod bag that could take two rods with reels attached? They would be 2 piece rods.

Thanks

Ryan

smiffy

Site Supporter
Before you press GO,are you sure you want such a short rod?
My advice would be to get something longer just in case you need to fish rod up or at greater distance. You can still fish a longer rod at short range.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Shimano for the reel. Line choice would be down to personal preference, some will say Daiwa Sensor but personally I don't like it. If you want a line that sinks, then go for the Korda SUBline.

Or the Drennan Fast Sink Feeder & Method Mono.

Last edited:

nejohn

Site Supporter
I would also think that 10ft would be to short for using on a river, if you need to get the line off the water then you need extra length, for me 11ft would be a minimum, the only time I would use a 10ft rod on a river is if I was fishing tight to the near bank.
My reel choice would have Daiwa on the label and would depend on budget, under £50 it would probably be one of the Ninja's, £50-£100 it would be a TDM over £100 it would be either a Matchwinner or a TDR, as for line I would go for Maxima never had problems with it in the past

duudiz

Stream stalker
Before you press GO,are you sure you want such a short rod?
My advice would be to get something longer just in case you need to fish rod up or at greater distance. You can still fish a longer rod at short range.

I also stalk and fish small snaggy swims with tree overhangs etc, a longer rod would impede that side of my fishing.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A drennan series 7 to match the rod or a shimano Sahara for me. Line wise I just use maxima but Daiwa sensor also seems to be popular. As said above 10ft might be a bit short for rivers, I do use 10ft for short chucks on stretches without much flow but step up to 11ft for more distance and/or quicker water.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I also stalk and fish small snaggy swims with tree overhangs etc, a longer rod would impede that side of my fishing.
If that is the case I would be tempted to split the budget between 2 rods as you can get a perfectly good river feeder rod for between £80-£130, something like a 11'6 daiwa castizm, Maver MVR, preston monster, drennan verex, garbolino synergy, Shimano beastmaster etc or you could even go for a light actioned specilist rod something with a 1.25 TC then spend the rest on a shorter rod for your stalking or tight pegs, lots of those around for £50-£75 (fishermans friend are doing Maver MVR 10ft for £75, cracking rod) so you get 2 rods for the £180 price tag of the acolyte and you do not have to compromise when you do either type of fishing. No point having a top of the range rod if it is not really suited to the type of fishing you are doing