Accurate Depth Finding

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
When using my pole I plumb the depth by lifting the pole with a plummet attatched to the hook until the line goes tight.
But surely there must be a more accurate method?

The only other way I can think of is removing most of the shot from a rig and then plumbing as you do for a waggler - but obviously this won't work when set overdepth and using wire stems for example, also this sounds like a right pain to do.

Are there any other ways that you plumb up using a pole?

MrC

I plumb up the same as you, but i make sure that my float is shotted correctly before i plumb or slightly undershotted works fine also.
To find "dead depth" make sure the float is just breaking the surface.
Then mark this depth with tipex or elastic on your pole. Then you have to go straight back out without your plumbet and fine tweet your rig so that its sitting correctly.
Because you have marked your rig you can now set overdepth or just off bottom... Hope this helps.. Mal

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
I do the same as Mal the only difference is when i tie on the hook i leave the tail of line on. I attatch a swan shot or AAA, to the tail and after i have found the depth then i cut off the tail

Tight lines

Ray

Where there is one Bream there are many more

Dervaig

Just do the same as you Rob them mark up my pole.
Mal, why plumb up again after marking the rod,[:I] I'm not sure I understand why?

Dervaig

MrC

I always go back out after plumbing up, not to re-plumb but to tweet the rig ie. add small droppers to dot the float right down etc..

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Smartcast. Dead easy. Dead accurate.

Will tell you if the bottom is hard or soft and if soft, how deep 'til you reach hard. And if you are a bit clever, exactly how deep the weed is if you are near any.

Only downside is you can only use it out to a little over 100 feet. And only for finding bottom if the water is not over 100 feet deep.

Got myself one a couple of weeks ago and wouldn't fish without it any more.

Newt Vail

mike s

Ah Newt, but will it tell you whether your swim is 4'2" or 4'3" deep[?] That's how accurate I am looking for & why the Pole & plummet is the only way to go.

Cumbria Angling Centre

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hello i just thought of another idea

Send the wife in with a ruler

Ray

Where there is one Bream there are many more

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
mike s - you got me there. It will not. Nearest foot is about all.

However, I can cast the sounder head out and pull it back in. It will show the shape of the bottom so I can spot any dips, rises, structure.

For your purposes, you could do that and stop the sounder head (lime green and about the size of a hen egg) over a likely spot and then plumb it for exact depth.

Or the say the head is designed, put it on the line of your plumbing rig - free sliding - and reel it in slowly. Then when you found a likely spot and stopped, your weight would sink right under the sounder.

Best of both worlds, so to speak. Better IMO than saying, "Gosh, that particular spot of water looks good. Let me check the depth" and better than I do now by pulling it back in and saying, "Nice looking little bump there - stump or rock probably - and it's about 7 feet deep".

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.