Accents/dialect

aljolson

im from East Yorkshire and we all talk stupid so ignore this if you come from darn sarf or where they talk proper

I often see people call elastic on here laccy
i read that as if you spoke it, it would be said lacky

round here we shorten elastic to laggy with a g as in laggy band. (totally wrong because elastic has no g in it)

ive never heard someone from more than 10 miles away say the shortened word for elastic but do people elsewhere actually say laccy? as in lacky?
thinking about it that would be the more correct abbreviation

so what do we all say? laccy or laggy?

Dusty

im from East Yorkshire and we all talk stupid so ignore this if you come from darn sarf or where they talk proper

I often see people call elastic on here laccy
i read that as if you spoke it, it would be said lacky

round here we shorten elastic to laggy with a g as in laggy band. (totally wrong because elastic has no g in it)

ive never heard someone from more than 10 miles away say the shortened word for elastic but do people elsewhere actually say laccy? as in lacky?
thinking about it that would be the more correct abbreviation

so what do we all say? laccy or laggy?

Laggy bands in Notts.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
"Elastic" here... but then I'm all over the shop... Jock Mother, London Father, lived in Wales & Malta Hampshire and Kent.... Sister married a Boltonese... and a Brother in Aussieland.... I dunno whether I'm coming or going

aljolson

ive never heard laccy and my wifes from the wirral but thinking about it im sure ive heard lazzy as in lazzy bands
where you from spadger?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I would tend to say baccy as in Tobacco but not so much laccy. Reckon I'd understand it though.

Up the cut for canal I think is universal.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It's known as Laccy round this little bit of West Yorkshire.

D

Deleted member 21081

Lazzy, in this part of the Wirral though I have heard people locally say laccy too.

As a plazzy scouser I have been called placcy too.

Both maudlin (note there is no g on the end) and mither are ‘proper’ words not colloquialisms.

Chervil

Site Supporter
I'm a Londoner and would sometimes use "Laccy band", but I may have picked that up in the Army. Just realised that I often drop the "e" and talk about an "Lastic band".

As Zerkalo stated, I always used to talk about fishing in the "Cut", but only on the local one I fished with my dad as a youngster, all the rest would be referred to as "canals".

aljolson

i bet not many know what a patty is from a fish and chip shop unless you've been to hull
we have tenfoots - others have ginnels?
we say banes instead of bairns
and instead of paralytic and bladdered when drunk we say paraletic and blathered
its just passed down to us

oh hears another one , anyone know what a tansad is?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When I lived in Sheffield I was laaughed at for calling an offy (off license) an outdoor.