ABUSE OF THIS WEBSITE - Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Forum Admin
Staff member
Site Supporter
To whom it may concern:

Today some immature individual decided it would be fun to post comments on the Jokes board that are a direct infringement of our 'Terms and Conditions of use' which relates to what you can and cannot do when using this site. It is deemed that you accept those Terms as you use it. They can be found HERE

ALL traffic in and out of this site is monitored and logged for our use in order to further improve this site. A by-product of this is that I can also resolve identities of any individual that decides to post to the site whether on the forums or otherwise.
There is a comprehensive system in place should I require to use it.

Part of the Terms and Conditions to which you have agreed to state:

You acknowledge and agree that Maggotdrowning.com may preserve Content and may also disclose Content if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce the Terms and conditions of use; (c) respond to claims that any Content violates the rights of third-parties; or (d) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Maggotdrowning.com, persons connected with, its users and the public.

To this end I have done so. The information that I have WILL be disclosed and I WILL be taking the action that I deem appropriate.

I will not tolerate such behaviour now or in the future and will maintain a firm discipline in order to protect this site and the genuine posters on it.

Regards,

Dave Webster
Administrator

AndyA

I think you should name & shame [}:)]

Aaaah .... soon be fishing

http://aa-computerrescue.cjb.net

Lid

Swift action again by Dave and the Mods. Many thanks. What sort of comments were they then?

Lid [:)]

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Dave,

Well done on your swift action.I am sure whatever action you decide on will be welcomed by the majority of people on this forum.

Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
All I am prepared to say at this moment in time the poster(s) information is being passed on to their ISP providers and the authorities.

Under UK Law if a user decides to post lies, racist or offensive material on a website it is the website owner that is ultimately responsible and liable for any actions that a person or authority decides to take. It is the website owner's responsibility to remove such material as soon as possible.
It is an even bigger problem for the ISP who provide the means for that website to be transmitted.
The Internet Service Providers association says that investigating just one alleged offence can cost up to 1,000 , so in many cases ISP's are forced to remove content without knowing if it is illegal or whether the complainant is being just in their complaint.
The Law Commission agrees that the law places an unfair burden on ISP's and they cannot be expected to monitor every packet of data that flows through their systems, and neither should site owners have to check every piece of information posted to their websites.
The ISP's and website owners aren't the villains, those that post the material in the first instance and who abuse public spaces are. They do so often in ignorance that it is the ISP's and owners that take the rap.

Often in order to protect themselves the ISP's will withdraw their service from the website owner in order to protect their interest. This ultimately could then cause the closure of the site in question.

I am fortunate because I have a very good working relationship with my ISP. Both they and I appreciate that there are the idiot elements amongst us and to that end offer support where required.
I am also further fortunate in having the skills and software to trace such posters if required. Added to that in order to protect myself and the wellbeing of this site and the responsible individuals who do use it, I also have the resources available to effect legal action when and where necessary.

It's just a small glitch for my part but will become a big one for those concerned

Dave

Last edited:

MALC

Obviously another job well done Dave

It's just a shame that the odd idiot could ruin things for the rest

Malc

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:It's just a shame that the odd idiot could ruin things for the rest

Ultimately Malc but not on my patch [;)]

It's annoying because when I have to spend time sorting out issues like this, it takes up time that could be put to better use elsewhere on the site.

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Easy enough problem to solve mate, Just tell Stu that the person inquestion said he's a shirt lifter.

Its hard to type with broken fingers,arms,legs, skull oh & smashed knee caps [:D]

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

les middy

'Navigator'
dave/mods

just like to say well done. [;)]

please protect this site for those that use it properly and enjoy it on here.

les [:D]

I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

G

Dave as ever mate well done, swift action indeed.

I agree with Troggy, send the big fella round [;)][;)].

And as for the person who posted the offensive material,we do not need any stupid idiotic morons to spoil an excellent FAMILYsite.

I hope you get your just deserts whoever you are [:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]

catch me if u can
Andy,

Last edited:

AndyA

quote:Often in order to protect themselves the ISP's will withdraw their service from the website owner in order to protect their interest. This ultimately could then cause the closure of the site in question.

If worse comes to worse, and the above was to happen then you'd contact the members with your new sites details right [;)]

Aaaah .... soon be fishing

http://aa-computerrescue.cjb.net

jonesr

WELL DONE DAVE! It proves the worth of full time eyes,to try to keep a BRILLIANT SITE above board. With the variety of ages on the internet,you have to be so careful.This site can,and should be availlable to all.We all like a joke etc.and a bit of banter,but the majority know when to stop.

WELL DONE TO YOURSELF AND THE MODERATORS![:I][:I][:I]

Ron J.[:(!][:(!][:(!]

Age isn't everything!experience is!
I INTEND TO LIVE FOR EVER,SO FAR SO GOOD!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The idiots are like busses, you don't get one for ages then all of a sudden a few come at once lol

I received confirmation from Ntl tonight that they are looking into the account of one of them.
What the idiots fail to realise is that their ISP is also legally responsible for allowing their equipment to be used in such a manner. When abuse is reported there is a proceedure to follow and information needs to be collated for the ISP to act.
If that information is conclusive then they (the ISP) can be requested to take action or face liability for their customer's abuse.

Like I said, this type of behaviour will not be tolerated and we will take a hard line on those that do

[:)]

Dave

matt

Dave, Peter, Trogg and the all the other mods, keep up the good work. Without you guys this site would be overrun with the undesirable elements of society. Well done to all you mods for keeping this a friendly, family site.
Top marks to the md mods

HEY DUDE............

MALC

Dave,

As you've now mentioned NTL (albeit the other way round) you've now got every NTL user on the site checking through their History to see if it was their machine [:0][;)][:0][;)]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Don't worry Malc unless you live in the Nottingham catchment area and it was you [:)]

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
erm i live in the nottingham catchment area!!!

Well my ip address is sometimes from the nottingham ntl site anyway .

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

TINY

Tiny
I missed it all again.Nothing new there then.
Well done lads!

Andy.

Ian White

Big E
That's right,
I can remember a site closing down before chrismas over something like this,well done Dave and keep up the good work
it would be a shame if the site was closed down due to some very silly pepole.
ALL THE BEST
Ian White

Triturus

Well done Dave

Whilst on matters legal, it may be worth reminding contributors that posting a photo not taken by themselves may be infringing copyright with all the litigation possibly falling on the website owner.

Sorry to worry you

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.