Abu Garcia 506 Mk2 has gone up in price?

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
I purchased one last year for around £60 brand new from Angling Direct, well the other day I purchased a new Shimano DL 2500 FA for the same price and I stumbled upon the 506 Mk2 whilst I had some tackle out (not used it yet)… I ended up with both reels in-hand and was just thinking about how the Shimano is just so much more reel for the money, and how cheap the 506 felt in comparison.

I just did a search and it turns out the RRP for the 506 Mk2 is actually £89.99, and it will actually cost £96.99 to buy from Angling Direct right now - any listing on sites at “old price” (£62 - £65) are old listings / out of stock, and it’s advertised around “discounted” starting from “£78’ish” in the usual big UK shops.

Before I checked I was literally thinking to myself, there’s no way this is a £60 reel, closed-face or not this is not £60 worth of quality in comparison to other reels in the price range… then it turns out I was right, it’s not a £60 reel… it’s a £90 reel.

Am I imagining it, or has the price of this reel dramatically increased?

scuttster

Site Supporter
I think you will find that a in a lot of cases and not just that reel the rrp is now the price things are being sold for rather than the offer prices we have got so used to.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I think you will find that a in a lot of cases and not just that reel the rrp is now the price things are being sold for rather than the offer prices we have got so used to.
Absolutely, there are shortages and difficulties in getting stock. There's no pressing need for retailers to discount anything. I suspect that inflationary pressures are likely to see increasing prices soon enough too. You can also see the same effect in many second hand prices.

scuttster

Site Supporter
They did pretty well to spin it out into a fairly lengthy article.
True but they did use some pretty big pictures! And also some fairly standard tips which I'm sure most articles have been saying in any press. Buy British, repair stuff, buy used etc. Though I do have to say that the first advert at the bottom of the article was worth reading down to!