ABU 506M Anti-reverse pawl removal.

Truly

Site Supporter
A mate has just given me an ABU 506M, which apart from being stuffed full of solid grease and covered in decades of 'shed grime' looks in good useable condition.
Mate had got it a long time ago in a 'job lot' but never used it.
It has the anti-reverse pawl still fitted.
The 506 that I bought new had the pawl removed by the tackle dealer in a couple of minutes and unless the passage of 40+ years has defected the memory, it didn't seem much of a job.
Looking on the internet, it appears that a full strip is necessary to achieve removal ???
What is the easiest method of removing the pawl please ? A ''Janet & John'' link would be appreciated if you know of one.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Part 5579

1613473089699.png

A long time since I've done one but iirc

Take the side cover off
Take the front cover off
Remove the spool cover/line guide
Remove the spool

Remove the two circlips 3909
Pull part 3954 forward to remove it
Take off the handle and drag
Remove part 9055 and parts behind it to get to 5579
Remove part 5579

Rebuild in reverse order

If I've got it wrong or missed a bit please can someone correct me :)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's a personal choice, some prefer to be able to backwind rather than rely upon the drag and 1/2drag system

adriang

Site Supporter
Keep on meaning to make a video on how to do it and put it on YouTube.. I'll get my finger out..

Truly

Site Supporter
Thank you very much for the diagram and link, both of which has made the process clear.
I have got it partially stripped and all the old grease cleaned out with white spirit. All looks a treat inside. (y)
Now having a touch of the seconds regarding the complete strip though. :rolleyes::oops:.
Going to take a close look at those circlips before deciding whether to risk it.
Thanks again for all the info.(y)

mbuna_matt

It's not difficult the hardest part is removing the circlips (carefully they fly) takes half an hour to remove old grease in petrol put it all back together.
I suggest removing the circlips inside a plastic bag, not only do they fly quite well they are also expert at hiding in any carpet pile going.......

gixer 13

Site Supporter
They are not circlips they are e clips and if you do loose one @Truly i have some spares i will send you one.

The_Saint

Quite easy to do, even i managed to do mine. Much better reel with a backwind rather than a sketchy drag tbh