About time too

Chervil

Site Supporter
Northamptonshire Police to arm all officers with Tasers

The force said it had seen almost a 50% increase in attacks on police officers in the past two years.
Mr Adderley, who served in the Royal Navy before joining the police, said: "When I'm writing statements for courts where an officer has had his ear bitten off, where he's had his finger bitten off, where she's been punched in the face and thrown down the stairs, we can see that level of violence rising daily and it's time now to act."

Looking at the comments on the Twitter page he seems to be well respected by his officers. Nice to see someone in public office have the bottle and sense to make a stand.

Although I did end up shouting at the radio, listening to this on LBC earlier.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
No point in sending troops into battle with no bullets. The police should have everything possible to preserve their safety whilst doing a job that not many of us, if we were honest, would be prepared to do.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Providing that every discharge of a taser is subject to the same stringent checks as discharging a firearm would be, then yes. I tentatively agree.
My concern is the slippery slope to routinely armed police and the issues that entails.
"if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear" is the mantra of oppression.

The Landlord

Site Supporter

Chervil

Site Supporter
Providing that every discharge of a taser is subject to the same stringent checks as discharging a firearm would be, then yes. I tentatively agree.
My concern is the slippery slope to routinely armed police and the issues that entails.
"if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear" is the mantra of oppression.
Unfortunately police uniform,equipment and tactics have to evolve to deal with the way way society and therefore the challenges they face each day change. If things continue as they are, then I believe that it's inevitable, that the police will eventually be armed as normal.
When I joined the Met I went out on patrol each day dressed like this.
policetunic.jpg
Armed with this
00244376.jpg
This
bristol_novelty_749_ml.jpg
And these
download.jpg

Things got that bad that police forces in the US started to send us bundles of their under uniform "bullet proof" vests. Which I used to wear on nights.
We then got Met Vest, which is knife and bullet resistant, CS and acrylic batons
Dh0qAb0X0AABo8o.jpg
cs-gas-535204517.jpg HTB1K7wFHpXXXXbuXpXXq6xXFXXXT__34363.1490089571.1280.1280.jpg

The long batons were then changed for day to day use with the ASP friction lock baton. I only used my long baton for public order.
a22411.jpg
We also changed our old chain link cuffs for rigid ones, which actually allowed you to control prisoners by pain compliance.
ex-police-police-quik-kuf-kwik-quick_360_b7dd62772c18b642c46a3ddf34f6f2ba.jpg
At the end of the day all a TASER does is give you stand off, the alternative is, if justifiable, getting smacked around the head with a baton, which is going to cause a lot more injury.

Last edited:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I once asked a policeman how hard would you hit someone to incapacitate them... he said once across the collarbone as hard as you like... crims get very quiet with a broken collarbone and they cant move their arm without a LOT of pain

Chervil

Site Supporter
I once asked a policeman how hard would you hit someone to incapacitate them... he said once across the collarbone as hard as you like... crims get very quiet with a broken collarbone and they cant move their arm without a LOT of pain
Realistically, as long as you can justify it, you can hit them as hard as you like where you like, depending on the threat.